Question about buying a new amp.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about buying a new amp.

I am playing a line 6 flextone2 head,through a Marshall cab. I'm not happy with my sound at the moment. So i was wondering if anyone had some input on a good amp. What is out there? How about a gigitech 2120?

Re: Question about buying a new amp.

how much you got to spend? that's a HUGE factor, since there is SO much out there now.
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

around 1,500

Comment

New or used OK? What kind of sound are you looking for?

Comment

then the next thing is do you want an all tube amp? head or combo? are clean and distorted sounds important? or do you just want vicious gain?
          GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

Comment

also what dont you like about the flextone?

Comment

I thought that was a modeling head, so you have like every amp known to man in one head? Surely there's GOT to be one in there you like [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                I thought that was a modeling head, so you have like every amp known to man in one head? Surely there's GOT to be one in there you like [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly what i was thinking, dont buy into the tube hype that you see and hear on alot of websites. Yeah tube is great, but so are the flextones. Just play around, one of the biggest mistakes people make with flextones is not playing around with them emough, you can start off by taking off the Cab emulation and just let the natural speakers work. Second would to just tweak and tweak. Trust me unless you are buying a high end amp you are not gonna get much better then the flextone. And yeah you can buy an amp that sounds better, examples bogner, Mesa etc.. The only thing is they will never be as "Flexible" as the flextone.

Comment

I dont know maybe i'ts just me. It just seems not to have the bottom end I want I've tried just about every setting.I dont want to sell it. Maybe I just need to try diffrent amps. The soud sometime almost seems fake. I know it might sound funny, but thats the best way to describe it.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    I dont know maybe i'ts just me. It just seems not to have the bottom end I want I've tried just about every setting.I dont want to sell it. Maybe I just need to try diffrent amps. The soud sometime almost seems fake. I know it might sound funny, but thats the best way to describe it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would try a different cab first, my flextone had too much bottom end. But depending on which marshall cab you have would explain, the 1960's with the 75's dont have that much bottom and neither does the cab with greenbacks. If you can take your flextone to music store and put it through a line 6 cab and use the cab emulation or just put it into a mesa boogie 4x12, and you will hear plenty of bottom end.

Comment

my friend has a flextone 2 head with the matching line 6 4x12 and his set up sounds killler. i had a flextone 2 HD but played through other cabs and it sucked. try what siggy14 is suggesting.
                      GEAR:

and finally....

Comment

Ok thanks i'll do that.It sounds like my cab is farting out when I put a little bass in it.

Comment

Working...
                        X