Speakers swap on my 1960A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speakers swap on my 1960A

I'm thinkin about changing the spears of my cab with vintage 30 or greenbacks.Do you think it's worth the work or should I better buy another cab?Still I don't know which speaker to use for my fireball so suggestions are welcome.Oh,and which is the proper ohm for a 1960A with the stereo switch?

Re: Speakers swap on my 1960A

If I were you, I'd just snag another cab used, or even try and borrow one from someone to check it out. If you buy the speakers and you don't like the Vintage 30's then you're going to have to turn around and sell them. Its much easier to sell a full cab than it is to sell individual speakers. Additionally, getting the different cab enables you to have something to fall back on.. Say you choose to throw Vintage 30's in your cab, but you hate how it sounds with your rig, and you have a gig lined up, or a practice coming up and you don't have the time to switch them back... Since you're in a band, maybe you can throw a little band gathering / jam session / amp fest type thing where everyone can come over and jam on some tunes or try each others gear out (if they're up for it). My band shares a practice space with 3 other bands so we do a lot of experimenting with different bass rigs, guitar rigs, and guitar sounds.

Just some random ideas!

Comment

Unfortunatly I don't know anyone with a vintage 30 loaded cab.I've searched for a used cab but no luck til now,still searching for!

Comment

if you cant find one to try them out, then i think it might be cheaper for you to just buy the speakers. Bit of a suggestion, buy 2 first and just have the two speakers hooked up in the cab and try it out to see if you like it. Then you also have many options, you can keep the mixed speakers or replace them all with V30's.

Comment

I don't like Vintage 30....the 75s are more scooped and aggressive sounding to me...i like those MUCH better!

I like clelstion 80s even better ..or maybe 90s..
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

try just buying 2 g12h30 (70th aniversary) and putting them in your cab in an X pettern with the stock g75-t. you can buy just the speakers direct from www.avatarspeakers.com for a descent price.

this is what scott splawn of splawnguitars is doing to a lot of the cabs he's selling.
            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I've played a couple of amps (not mine) through a variety of cabs. (Mostly a VH4 through vintage 30's). And I've found I like the vintage 30's best on both my own playing and on recordings. They sound warm and add a nice quality. It might not be for you if you're into 'ubermetal'.
              You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                I don't like Vintage 30....the 75s are more scooped and aggressive sounding to me...i like those MUCH better!

I like clelstion 80s even better ..or maybe 90s..

[/ QUOTE ]

That is because you are Evil (LOL) But serious to each there own on speakers, you just have to play what sounds good to your ears. Horns you might want to try a higer rated speaker since you do not like anything coloring your amps sound, see if you can find some of those EV 200 watters.

Comment

Well I want a warmer and tighter sound and I know vintage 30 should give me that.Which is the difference with the g12h30s in X pattern?

Comment

Hey Siggs...that's an idea..

personally I like the Celestion 75s...I don't have any problem with them...MY favorite speaker is the 80s..I had a Peavey 4 12 loaded with 'em...they sounded incredible to me..best sounding cab I ever heard.

Those EVs you mentioned...I think I played those years ago and I thought they sounded a bit "brittle"...but that was long ago..not a bad concept though...if I don't want any speaker coloration..

I swear by the old EV prolines for bass..they are the shit!!
                    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      Hey Siggs...that's an idea..

personally I like the Celestion 75s...I don't have any problem with them...MY favorite speaker is the 80s..I had a Peavey 4 12 loaded with 'em...they sounded incredible to me..best sounding cab I ever heard.

Those EVs you mentioned...I think I played those years ago and I thought they sounded a bit "brittle"...but that was long ago..not a bad concept though...if I don't want any speaker coloration..

I swear by the old EV prolines for bass..they are the shit!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah even in his 5150 cabs he would load them with the 75's instead of the sheffield speakers.

Comment

Working...
                      X