Opinions on the ADA MP-1 please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on the ADA MP-1 please?

I need som eopinions on the ADA MP-1 please. I own a Marshall JMP-1 and figured that I might try and score a cheap ADA on ebay to see what all the fuss is all about.

How does it compare tone wise to my JMP-1 and will I be dissapointed?

Any other comments that you could add?

Re: Opinions on the ADA MP-1 please?

Can't do the comparison but these things are great for what they can be had for. The cleans are great and the gains are going to be dependent upon your power section and cab.

I have been thinking about nabbing one myself lately.

Comment

<font color="yellow">I have a MP-1 and totally love it.

It is very Marshally sounding, has great clean sounds, is MIDI capable, easy to program, and IMO versatile enough to cover any gig.

They are also uber modifiable to improve the basic sound characteristic.

Shoot me a PM for more info if you'd like.

</font>

Comment

It's not that i do not like my Marshall. it's just that sometimes I feel as though there is not enough gain. My two Charvels have Full Shred's installed so the signal is plenty hot. There is also the lack of tonal difference no matter what you try to dial in. I would hope that the ADA is a little more versatile perhaps.

I have heard as well that they are very noisy and that my Hush unit will really be needed for these things. One of my friends had one a few years back and told me that the push buttons are always breaking and that they are not rugged units.

BTW is the chorus anolog or digital and how is that sounding?

Comment

<font color="yellow">Well, I don't think they are noisier than any other high-gain preamp [img]/images/graemlins/refuse.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/refuse.gif[/img].

</font>

Comment

I don't have a JMP-1 so I can't comment on the differences but if you're looking for super high gain the MP-1 isn't going to give you a ton of choices or a great variety. The MP-2 would be a somewhat better choice as it has more tube voicings available and higher gain voicings. But I'd think for great tonal variety you're either going to have to break down and go with a modeller or pick up a rack full of tube preamps.

The MP-1 *is* on the noisy side of the spectrum. It's way better with a good gate though, as Sam illustrates, it certainly won't annoy everyone by itself. If you decide to go with an MP-1 try to locate an "MP-1 Classic" (there's one on the 'bay now) as that's the last iteration and is allegedly quieter than the original (caveat emptor, I've not tried one personally).

The chorus is usable (barely) but absolutely nothing to write home about. You'll definitely want to patch it through some outboard effects and pretty much anything you use is going to be an improvement.

The buttons on the MP-1 won't break if you don't abuse them. They're the soft-touch membrane-style and work with light pressure. Guys who break them are probably pushing them way too hard.
            Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

<font color="yellow">I'm having mine modded to the 3-tube version very soon (hopefully it goes out this week [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]) along with the battery mod and noise mod for mine.

I'm not a gain-o-holic anyway, so I'm sure it will be perfect for me.

The stock MP-1 has a lot of useable tones I think, and I've edited the Marshall patch and it's very good.....no complaints.

For the $$, you can't beat them. </font>

Comment

Thanks folks!

Looks like I might shop around for one after all!

Comment

I like mine!!

Comment

I have no trouble with the gains being saturated enough [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

It took a bit of work to get a good crystalline clean sound out of it without that annoying Compression "pnnngowww" effect, though.

I run mine through a Digitech TSR-12 for EQ as I do not like the ADA's EQ by itself - too harsh and "glassy" for my taste. I prefer a smoother distortion, which the EQ on both the ADA and TSR together give me.
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh my! that would be one of my favorite setting if I were to go with rack setting..

By the way, does ADA have to do anything with selling tooth brush and tooth paste?
                      I have always wondered since 80's.
                      [img]/images/graemlins/sick.gif[/img]

Comment

No, that's the American Dental Association [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Same logo, though [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I love my MP1: the midi part of my original one died, which caused a minor panic so I bought another off eBay. There's a good site a www.adadepot.com which you might find useful.....
                            Popular is not the same as good
                            Rare is not the same as valuable
                            Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

I'm selling mine for 200 bucks shipped if anyone is interested ... I just got a Fireball so I don't need the MP-1 for leads

Comment

Working...
                              X