Mesa Mark III questions!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Mark III questions!!

My Mark III head arrived today. It has 4 preamp tubes in it.
    V1 is covered
    V2,3 and 5 all have tubes in them.
    V4 has a hole in the chassis but no socket. This one I believe is for the reverb. My amp doesn't have reverb.
    So far so good.. right?
    Also, it says that it is simulclass and even though the 1/2 power/full power switch is no longer on the amp (the custom footswitchable boost jack is in its place), it is running all 6L6's.
    The 2 outer tubes are Mesa 5881-6L6 STR425
    The 2 inner tubes are GE 6L6GC USA
    They are older than dirt. The amp isn't very loud at all so I suspect it needs a complete tube change.
    The manual says that Simulclass amps should run 6L6's in the inners and EL34's in the outers. My amp no longer has the simulclass switch so it is always running at 100 watts. The manual says that in non-simulclass mode I should be running all 6L6's. Does this sound right??

Re: Mesa Mark III questions!!

Yes, non simulclass mode is all 6l6GC's. I think you also have your tube placement backwards. Mesa put the preamp tubes starting from the oppostie side of the input jack (where the switches are).

Comment

According to my owners manual for the Mark III:
      V1 is the one closest to the input jack or, as seen from the rear, it is the socket furthest to the right in the front row and is covered by a silver metal shield can.

Comment

I stand corrected! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Thanks John!!

Comment

Not loud?
          If you have a MkIII, and can turn the master past three indoors - somethin aint right.

The metal shielded tube is indeed V1.
          750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
          Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

The volume stops increasing at anything above 5. It isn't very loud at 5 either. Powertubes.. I am sure of it.

Comment

I hope it doesn't have anything to do with the mod. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] How's it sound otherwise?

BTW, I second what Nor says. My MK III could peel paint off the walls at 4 on the master.

Pete

Comment

It sounds like a Fender Bassman on channel 1, a Marshall JCM800 2204 on channel 2 and a Studio .22+ on STEROIDS on channel 3. It has all the makings or an amp I will really enjoy. All the tubes in it are ancient. Possibly the oldest set of tubes I have ever seen in a working amp. I would guess the Mesa tubes are original from the 80's. The solo boost mod works perfectly. Step on the button... volume boost. The amp is in otherwise very good condition. I am gonna order a full set of new tubes for it tomorrow.
                I am very happy that it doesn't have factory reverb.

Comment

Sounds great - also, your 12ax7 in the driver position may be worn too. Replace it with the power tubes.

Pete

Comment

Yea Pete, I am gonna call Bob at Eurotubes and order a complete retube kit. He did me solid on my Carvin MTS3200.

Comment

dude the mark 3 reverb is awesome! you're missing out.

but i've sold out to line 6.
                      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Rebel - what Line6 are you using? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          dude the mark 3 reverb is awesome! you're missing out.

but i've sold out to line 6.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing beats the reverb on my Boss GT-6. Live, I will be using either the Mark III, my Carvin MTS3200 or my Laney for power only. I plug my GT-6 into the effects return and I am ready to gig. BTW.. my new Mark III looks incredible sitting on top of my Mesa 3/4 back cab. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                          X