Mark III review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark III review

In case any of you are looking for one of these, here is a quick review. I will follow up with a detailed review when my new tubes arrive.
    1986-7 Mesa Boogie Mark III short head, purple stripe, no reverb. This amp is running a quad of 6L6's currently.
    In a nutshell:
    Rhythm 1: Fender Bassman. This channel can be pushed into really breaking up nicely. You could go from Dire Straits to The James Gang on this channel.
    Rhythm 2: Marshall JCM800 2203/4. If you closed your eyes you would think you were playing a Marshall. You could go from classic rock (Zep, Stones,early Rush) right up to Guns & Roses. This is a classic Marshall crunch.
    Lead: Similar to Rhythm 2 but smoother and more gain. This is indeed a solo channel. It has more of everything.
    So far, the best way to describe what this amp sounds like is to compare it to a tone you are familiar with.
    Throw a delay in the loop and to me this amp as it stands currently nails John Petrucci's tone on his latest solo record. More to follow when the new tubes come!

Re: Mark III review

With the new tubes it should tighten up considerably, I'd think. Sounds great so far.
    You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

If you get the new tubes, check if you can get a modern-hi-gain sound (recto type) with it (not exactly, but try how close you can).
      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

The only way I got a Recto sound in my mark IV was with the EQ on... if you are looking for Recto ultra heavy I say pass on the Mark series if you are looking to kinda top out @ a MEtallica MOP type gain the Mark series is for you
        I keep the bible in a pool of blood
        So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

Tetsuo, I love the Mark's Clean, Lead and Rock-Rhythm tone. Very versatile, that's what I need. But sometimes I need that modern-hi-gain sound too, but Recto's arent so versatile as the Mark series are. I can't afford them both at the same time so I'll definetly buy the Mark first, but I've never tried to tweak modern sounds with Marks, I've heard that some guys got pretty close to Recto. I just want to know how close you can get, even if you have to use some pedals etc.
          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

My roommate in college had a Mk III SimulClass 1x12 combo with EQ and reverb. It was the top of the line Boogie when he bought it along with an orange Soloist in 1985. I could never get into it. I guess I was more of a straight ahead gain guy than a sophisticated tone guy at that point. I thought my JCM900 combo killed it.

I would bet though that it would have been a completely different experience through a 4x12 cab.

Mike
            Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Tetsuo, I love the Mark's Clean, Lead and Rock-Rhythm tone. Very versatile, that's what I need. But sometimes I need that modern-hi-gain sound too, but Recto's arent so versatile as the Mark series are. I can't afford them both at the same time so I'll definetly buy the Mark first, but I've never tried to tweak modern sounds with Marks, I've heard that some guys got pretty close to Recto. I just want to know how close you can get, even if you have to use some pedals etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you can get there I will always site the fact that Lamb of God both use Mark IV's and so does one of the guys from Sevendust... You can get there and some good overdrive pedals will help you too. I love the Mark Series
              I keep the bible in a pool of blood
              So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

Thanks Tetsuo.

If I can get close to Dream Theaters Awake album heavy crunch sound (wich were recorded with Dual Recto and Mark IIC+) then I'm a happy man, that's the heavyest sound I ever need.

Comment

The Rectifier series is voiced way different than the Mark series. Personally, I like the Mark series better but I gotta tell you that the Rectifier series amps are way more versatile than most people think. I was able to almost 100% duplicate a Marshall JCM800 2204 tone with a Single Rectifier. They also have fantastic clean channels. I would suggest people spend more time getting to know their Rectifiers. I spent around 6 hours tweaking one and the sounds I got out of it were outstanding and very versatile.

Comment

I agree with you John, Recots are versatile altho some guys still concider them only as a Limp Bizkit sound amps.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      The only way I got a Recto sound in my mark IV was with the EQ on... if you are looking for Recto ultra heavy I say pass on the Mark series if you are looking to kinda top out @ a MEtallica MOP type gain the Mark series is for you

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I've been haunting down a IIC+ for a long time now, and I think I might have found me a damn match! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                      You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Great review, John. I agree with you on every aspect you said. Guys, this thing is what John makes it out to be; its that damn good. Just think John, yours will sound even greater with some new JJ's!

The thing is with the Mark III's is that everyone overlooks them. They either want a Mark IIC+ or skip up to the almighty Mark IV. Don't ask me why, because I love mine. Now watch these things swore up in prices! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

The Mark III and the Mark IIc+ are very similar sounding.

Comment

I got the new tubes today and installed them. Its a religious experience. This is the best sounding amp I have ever owned, heard or played through. On 3 you could probably play a small stadium with it. I am totally blown away. Tone just doesn't get any better than this as far as I am concerned.

Comment

Glad to hear it was the tubes! The best example I can think of a Mark III is the Whitesnake '87 album (still of the night, etc) - he used a 180 watt Mark III, but I think the tone is close.

Can you get a decent level with channel 2? My big gripe about the III that I had was that you could get a nice clean tone and a great lead/3rd channel tone, but then channel 2's volume was off.

Pete

Comment

Working...
                              X