Mark III review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mark III review

John, how loud to you have to turn your MK III to make it sound good, usually they are great at high volume levels but ass at low volume.?
    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

My channel 2 has the same level as channel 3. Its just al little less gain with more midrange. It is the most Marshall sounding of the 3 channels. The clean channel is absolutely incredible. Because my amp has a modded solo boost footswitch I am only using channel 1 and 3 with the boost on channel 3 for solos. I leave the EQ on all the time in a classic V.
      Here are my ultimate settings (so far!!!)
      Volume Pull 7
      Treble Pull 8
      Bass 3
      Mid 5
      Master Pull 2.5
      Lead Drive 9
      Lead Master 1.5-2
      Presence 8
      EQ:
      80 top line
      240 right below top line
      750 right above middle line
      2200 right below top line
      6600 top line

EQ In

Comment

btw. how much gain does your MK III has, compared to Dual Recto?

The best lead tone I've ever got was thru MK III, don't rembember the settings but I used neck pickup, guitars tone knob was turned to half position, 350ms of dealy and a little chorus in the effects loop. OMFG how good that was, very fat and full sounding, endless sustain.
        "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          btw. how much gain does your MK III has, compared to Dual Recto?

The best lead tone I've ever got was thru MK III, don't rembember the settings but I used neck pickup, guitars tone knob was turned to half position, 350ms of dealy and a little chorus in the effects loop. OMFG how good that was, very fat and full sounding, endless sustain.

[/ QUOTE ]

It has a ton of gain. Anything from 7 up is plenty for metal. I also use 350ms of delay in the loop.

Comment

Glad to hear your 2nd channel is useful, it must be one of the later ones. Mine was early, and the 2nd channel was too freakin' low for use live. It really pissed me off and was the main reason I sold the head.

Mark IIIs go pretty cheap, from what I've seen - you can get them sometimes for DC5 prices, which is pretty cool. I keep waiting for the IIIs to be 'discovered' and the prices to go through the roof.

Pete

Comment

Well Pete, relatively cheap compared to Mark IV's. Usually Mark III's have been going in the $800.00 range if you include the cost of retubing and the shipping charge. Most of them need to be retubed. Thats not really that cheap. For the tone, it is well worth the price. They are certainly not a plug in and get great tone type of amp though. I could see why some folks get frustrated. I know my way around an amp pretty good so it was no problem at all dialing in a great tone.

Comment

$800? No way! Do a search on completed auctions on ebay - more sold for under $700 than $800 and over. Your retubing comment applies to any amp... there's nothing special about the Mk IIIs that make them more prone to tube replacement than anything else.

Not bustin your balls, I think the IIIs are great amps, but currently most people don't pay $800 for one.

Pete

Comment

Pete, the last Mark III's that sold on Ebay were:
                  662,765,639,805,722,1000 and 650.
                  That averages out to $749.00
                  Thats exactly where I would value a stock Mark III. Around $750.00
                  I don't know if they can keep jumping up in price like all the Mark series but they haven't slowed down in the last few years. 3 years ago you could pick up a Mark IV for around $650.00. Now they are $1100.00 +
                  Bottom line for me.. Mesa Mark series amps are a great investment. You get a great amp and it increases in value every year. Whats better than that?

Comment

I was just going by what the HEADS were selling for...

Average was $640.60. Ok, I was off by $40. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Combos tend to sell for more, and whoever paid a grand for a tolexed combo was an idiot. The $900 combo was a wicker/wood Mark III. I hate combos, but there's something sexy about the wicker boogies. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

I agree Pete. The prices are all over the place. Pretty decent bang for the buck though if you don't mind twisting knobs. Its a very touchy amp. Dial 1 number in either direction and your sound can go from good to bad.
                      I like the wicker Boogies too but I am not into the combos.
                      Heck, I am only using the power section of my Mark III to power my GT-6. It sounds incredible on its own but I just can't get by without the versatility of having all my tones and solos and effects all concentrated and programmed in one footcontroller. The Mark III is overkill for sure but I deserve it in this instance. It also looks great on top of my Mesa 3/4 back cab!!

Comment

So wait. You're only using it's power section?
                        You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          So wait. You're only using it's power section?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. My review of course was using the amp on its own. At home I only use the amp and a delay in the loop. When I play live I only use the power section to power my Boss GT-6 which IMHO, gives me the best sound I have ever had live. I am in a 80's, 90's and today metal cover band. I need sounds ranging from a Matchless to Soldano to Marshall to Boogie and all kinds of effects ranging from Feedbackers, chorus, flange, rotary, delays, doublers, harmonizers and an occasional synth along with a killer wah and a tuner. The GT-6 give me all of those. I have my patches arranged according to amp type or song. For instance:
                          Bank 1 all Marshall
                          Bank 2 all Marshall with a Jackhammer in front of it
                          Bank 3 all Matchless
                          Bank 4 Marshall Plexi
                          Bank 5 Mesa Dual Rectifier
                          Bank 6 Soldano SLO
                          Every bank has 4 channels. Every channel is set up the same way
                          Channel 1 clean
                          Channel 2 heavy rhythm
                          Channel 3 Solo
                          Channel 4 Alternate solo with wah

It is a very convenient rig and I can line out to the board from the GT-6 and even route a cabinet model to the board.
                          Its tempting to use the Boogie straight up because it sounds so good but I would need too many pedals and have to tap dance too much live. If my band only needed 1 great tone I would use the Boogie for sure.

Comment

Aha, I understand. That's definitly a sane choice.
                            You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Well, I have been jamming back and forth between my GT-6 and the Mark III.
                              The GT-6 is so convenient and sounds outstanding. It is an all in one unit. Just plug into the effects return on a good tube amp and I am ready to gig. All my sounds and presets are in there ready to go.
                              The Mark III blows the GT-6 out of the water in regards to straight up clean/rock and metal tone. There is really no comparison. I am now working on a bunch of patches using the Boss GT-6 4 cable method so that I can use it just as an effects box for my Mesa. This way I have the option of using the Mesa straight or the GT-6 straight or a combination of the 2. It is alot of programming but I actually enjoy it.
                              Bottom line after a couple of weeks ripping on the Mark III... Holy crap. Its amazing and lives up to every stellar review you have ever read about it.

Comment

Mark 3's rule got mine for $600 in 1994. It's big, mean and savage. There are other amps I want but I'll never let go of this one.
                                Tid bit for the Metallica heads. Hetfield did the Master of Puppets tour with Mark 3 colesium heads.
                                I've also read Petrucci used Mark 3's for Dream Theater's first couple albums.
                                1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

Working...
                                X