No announcement yet.

I got a Marshall JMP-1 Quickie review.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I got a Marshall JMP-1 Quickie review.

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Uh oh, Jim. Sounds like my old Single Recto might be in danger of getting sold -lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt that, as great as the marshall is, it still cant do the mesa recto tone, always good to have both in your arsenal!

[/ QUOTE ]

This is sooo true. I had thought about selling it, but I really have no need to. I love the rectifier and it as awesome at doing what rectifiers do, but I also love classic marshall JCM800 tone. I thought I could have the best of both worlds with the Recto and I do think it does a decent imitation of marshall tone, but nothing cloe to this. I will keep both for sure. Someday I may sell it to Toru, but only because he is a cool dude and has hooked me up in the past more than a few times [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I think I will stay with tubes for the power amp. I'm looking at a few Mesa 20/20's which I have heard from everyone that owns one that it is plenty of power. I would love a marshall 9200, but it just wouldn't be practical. I may fold, who knows. I plan on programming both the JMP-1 and the G-major this weekend gotta go pick up a short midi cable.
    "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      [ QUOTE ]
      [ QUOTE ]
      Uh oh, Jim. Sounds like my old Single Recto might be in danger of getting sold -lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt that, as great as the marshall is, it still cant do the mesa recto tone, always good to have both in your arsenal!

[/ QUOTE ]

This is sooo true. I had thought about selling it, but I really have no need to. I love the rectifier and it as awesome at doing what rectifiers do, but I also love classic marshall JCM800 tone. I thought I could have the best of both worlds with the Recto and I do think it does a decent imitation of marshall tone, but nothing cloe to this. I will keep both for sure. Someday I may sell it to Toru, but only because he is a cool dude and has hooked me up in the past more than a few times [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I think I will stay with tubes for the power amp. I'm looking at a few Mesa 20/20's which I have heard from everyone that owns one that it is plenty of power. I would love a marshall 9200, but it just wouldn't be practical. I may fold, who knows. I plan on programming both the JMP-1 and the G-major this weekend gotta go pick up a short midi cable.

[/ QUOTE ]

You might also want to look into one of the newer mesa 50/50's which gives you the bias choice of eitehr the el34's or the 6L6's. I have that too, i almost sold it and now i am glad i didnt, another great peice of equiptment, and you can usually get it between $550 and $600, hell the guitar center here in VA was selling a used one for $525.

Comment

Think about a Peavey tube power amp... the Classic series sound great, and are cheap as dirt. I've seen them for around $200! The one I had smoked the 50/50 Mesa I had at the same time. Of course, all of this is my opinion only. Also, the JMP-1 I had took well to having a BBE run with it.

Pete

Comment

Pete, what is your feeling on the Mesa 20/20? Also, which sonic Maximiser would work best with the JMP-1?

Comment

The Peavey 50/50 and 60/60 are both excellent . I owned both of them. The downside with them though is weight. They are both very heavy.

Comment

The BBE 422 works the best some guitar rigs...well , all the rigs that welcome the BBE...not all amps do...it does very well my JMP-1 Marshal rack setup....

the amp the BBE works best with IMO is the 5150..my Uber hates it..

Siggs ...I love my Marshall rig...it is my right arm...I'd be lost without it.. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

and Pete is correct...my friend used a Peavey 120/120 in our Van Halen tribute band...and it sounded great and loud...but he hated carrying it...so he "downsized" to a valvesate poweramp...much easier to carry....but oh boy that sucked...I couldn't hear him for nuthin'...and when I could hear it...when I wasn't playing...it sounded horrible..

Like I said I owned a bunch of JCM 800s..2210s and etc ..the Marshall rack smoked them all...and it's stereo too..I can get that HUGE "speak of the devil" sound !!!

I traded a couple of 2210's and a 1985 Hustler mag with Tracy Lords in it toward it ..that is how much it impressd me. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

I traded a couple of 2210's and a 1985 Hustler mag with Tracy Lords in it toward it ..that is how much it impressd me. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I for sure would have expected no less from Bill [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Pete, what is your feeling on the Mesa 20/20? Also, which sonic Maximiser would work best with the JMP-1?

[/ QUOTE ]

The 20/20 is a great poweramp. BBE wise, 422 is kinda the standard. I have a 362 that works fine also though.

Pete

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The 20/20 is a great poweramp. BBE wise, 422 is kinda the standard. I have a 362 that works fine also though.

Pete

[/ QUOTE ]

If head room is not a concern the Mesa 20/20 is maybe the best power amp out there. The EL 84's are fantastic. A 20/20 never kept up with my drummer and other guitarist. The Mesa 50/50 never did it for me I porefered the Carvin t-100 or the Peavy classic 60 both cheaper to that unit.
                    I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                    So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      A 20/20 never kept up with my drummer and other guitarist.

[/ QUOTE ]

So it wasn't loud enough? I had a DC-2 which I believe was a 20 watt with the EL84's and I was able to hold my own with a drummer and full band. I figured the 20/20 would be double that. I would love a mesa 50/50 or peavey 60/60 and even a Carvin T100, but I'm trying to keep this as light as possible. I Know I can go Transistor, but I want a tube power amp.

Thanks for all the info guys! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

I have heard great things about the carvin TS100, like being able to mix tubes, easy bias, check it out here... http://www.carvin.com/products/singl...TS100&CID=GPRE

Comment

love to get one.

Comment

Working...
                          X