Just tried a JSX Combo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just tried a JSX Combo

WOW, this thing sounded great! [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]
    I'm going back this afternoon with my soloist to give it a workout.
    anyone else here have the chance to try one of these yet?
    This may be on it's way to my house today! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
    If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Re: Just tried a JSX Combo

No but I am highly intereted in the review...
    I keep the bible in a pool of blood
    So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

I've yet to see the combo...I think thet just hit stores in the last few days. I have the head and I think it sounds great. I'm sure the combo is just as good.

Comment

ya ive played the JSX head and i thought it sounded great. I bet the combo would rock just as much.

Comment

how did it sound with the soloist. I like more the satriani sound in the first G3 dvd and in his San Francisco dvd than in the Denver DVD.

Comment

Ok I played around with this thing for about an hour with my soloist and a buddy of mine who can rip came with me so I could listen to him while I made adjustments and vice versa.

#1 the Clean channel is unbelievable.
            Almost Fender twin sounding, very impressive.
            $#2 the crunch channel. Very good gain on this channel , sounds like a Marshall with an external EQ boosting the sustian . Like the title says very crunchy.
            #3 the ultra channel, very high gain with the mids scooped a little. Switching from the crunch channel playing rythm to this channel for lead is real useful and effective sosunding.
            Good noise gate and they added reverb to the combo (the head doesn't have it)

Now the bad.
            I need a lot of time to play with this thing.
            The one thing that kept me from taking it home with me today, is that the sound doesn't jump out at you. It sounds like the speakers are in a box, and maybe it's because the back is open, or the speakers themselves just suck.
            I don't know, I'm going to go back with my Marshall and A/B them and see if I can get it to EQ the way I want it.
            My buddy was completely sold on it, and he even went to the point of saying " If I didn't already have my Marshall set up I would buy 2 of these and run them in stereo"
            to be continued [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]....................

Comment

Very cool review, thanks man. On a side note I was in Manny's Music in NY today and Joe was walkin round. Didn't go up to him, I was still kinda hung over from the night before and wasen't in my right mind.

Comment

I had a JSX head here for a couple weeks. I couldn't get that thing gone fast enough.
                Horrible sounding thing. Flat. Congested. Sterile.

I cannot imagine coaxing a worthwhile sound out of it.

Comment

Funny thing is when I first played around with it this morning I only played at a low volume, and it sounded great.
                  This afternoon I took it in the back room of the store and cranked it up, and that's when it started to sound "boxy".
                  The distortion on this amp is killer. Just something was missing......... [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] It's like the sound was buried inside the cab.........
                  I've got to go back and fiddle with it some more

Comment

I played one a few weeks ago, it was just alright to me. I hated the noisegate, shut it off right away. I honestly prefer the old Peavey Ultra head to this amp (you know the one the lighted logo [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]).

-Jason

Comment

It took me a lot of playing around with the resonance and presence to get a sound I liked. Now that I have those figured out I can get all kinds of great tones out of it.

Comment

sworn_enemy, head or combo?

Comment

Head.

Comment

I demo'd one and I got the same impression that you did. It sounded great at low volume and at high volume it almost sounded "fake" and transistor sounding. Almost like the old 1st generation modeling amps used to sound like.

Comment

That "fake and transistor" sound comes from the EQ.

Its active, so If you crank all the knobs like your marshall, its going to sound like cheese. With an active EQ, its always best to cut rather than boost.

Although, keep the knobs at 5 or less, you can get some great, natural sounding tubey tones out of it. 5 is the neutral point. Lower than that, you're cutting the frequencies, higher, your boosting the frequencies(use sparingly!)

Other than that, dont turn the presence up to high, I keep mine at 5-6.

Comment

Working...
                              X