Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good mic + mediocre soundcard = ok sound quality?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good mic + mediocre soundcard = ok sound quality?

The last time I tried recording my guitar on the computer it sounded absoluetly horrible. I tried putting it into the computer behind a distortion pedal and it sounded too pushed, even with the gain lowered. What would happen if I bought a good recording mic and put that into the computer with an adapter? Would I get a good enough sound to make a serious recording? I'm not expecting a miracle, but I want to be able to burn my demos onto a CD and pass them out to the rest of the band and club owners.

If it's worth the sound upgrade to buy a decent recording mic, which mics do you recommend? My budget is only $100ish (not including cables, stands, etc). The more purposes and instruments a mic can be used for, the better. The drums are electric and can be plugged into the computer, and sound pretty good.

The recording program that I'm using right now is Audacity. It's by far not the best, but it serves its purpose. I just wish it had punch in/out capabilites! Does it matter too much sound qualtiy-wise which program I use?

Re: Good mic + mediocre soundcard = ok sound quali

In order to record the sound you get from your amp, you need a mic and a preamp,you cannot use a mic direct in your sound card line in and usually the preamp that are on the mic in of the sound cards sounds like shit.I suggest you to buy a shure sm57 and a cheap preamp like m-audio audiobuddy or a behringer mic100.You can also try some plug in like guitar suite it sounds pretty good.

Comment

I suggest the Shure sm57 as well. If you want to go a bit pricier the Beta 57 has also been getting good reviews.
      You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

The beta 57 has a bit more gain before feedback and a bit of a 3k rise in comparison to the regular 57. I personally like the 57 on guitars more than the beta. The regular 57 is about half the price too.
        ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Comment

For about $75 you can buy a used pod and go direct, which is one hell of a lot less screwing around.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            For about $75 you can buy a used pod and go direct, which is one hell of a lot less screwing around.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah but nothing beats a mic in front of a real mans amp Chuck [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
            shawnlutz.com

Comment

What Chuck said. ;D

Pete

Comment

What Chuck said +1

If you don't have good mic pres, a good mic, and the ability to turn the amp up loud, a POD is a better bet than micing the amp.

I have good mics, pres, etc. and I still use the POD for demoing purposes... it's just easier.
                ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Comment

Of course, if your guitar happens to have active circuitry, you can run straight into the computer from the guitar. Of course you'll need a recording program that can give you distortion, or record it clean and add distortion later.
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I think POD is the right thing for you because you may have a good mic and a good amp, but you have to crank the amp up and find a good mic position AND YOU NEED A GOOD MIC-PRE, a good mic pre like NEVE costs more than most of the amps.
                    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Chuck, chuck out the Soldano then and get a POD! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                      You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

can I take a Mic and go directly to the POD for vocals?

Sorry to thread crap [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          can I take a Mic and go directly to the POD for vocals?

Sorry to thread crap

[/ QUOTE ]
                          Not thread crapping at all, I was curous of this as well. How well could a POD produce good keyboard, vocal, and bass tones? I'm still wondering how in the hell I'm going to do those. A POD would have better tone than my amp miced anyway, all that I have is a Dean Markley K-50. I didn't know it was possible to score a POD that cheap! Thanks for the tips everyone.

When I get a better amp, I'll go to the SM57. That's what I'm buying the amp for! Better sound!

Again thanks for the advice everyone.

Comment

Working...
                          X