Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

* Genius* - Want a Marshall sound? get a ......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• * Genius* - Want a Marshall sound? get a ......

Marshall amp...duh, right [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

I've chased that tone for years, tried to make this and that sound like a Marshall. Well, I sold the final experiment in the food chain last night and now I'm headed to what I should've bought 20 + years ago - a freakin Marshall [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

A buddy of mine has a pair of sick modded Marshalls, a Mojave Peacemaker, and a stock JCM800. The stock JCM 800 with a pedal in front of it sounds like God....

Oh well, no time like the present to start over [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Steve E

Re: * Genius* - Want a Marshall sound? get a ......

Stevie gets blindsided by the obvious... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

yup Steve. My first tube amp I bought in 85 was an 83 2203. It was my #1 for years as well as my only amp for a few years. You'll be surprised how versatile you can make em if you have to [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I still have that amp and it still has it going on [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
      shawnlutz.com

Comment

I went on the same quest. I finally found my ultimate Marshall tone. 1986 Mesa Boogie Mark III purple stripe running E34L's and 6L6's. I have had many great Marshalls and this Mesa Boogie is the best Marshall I have ever heard.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Blinsided? More like suckerpunched.

What's that older /smarter / wiser thing ? Or is it the "hindsight is always 20/20 " thing?

Who knows - Marshall here I come.

Steve E

Comment

Re: * Genius* - Want a Marshall sound? get a ..

[ QUOTE ]
            I went on the same quest. I finally found my ultimate Marshall tone. 1986 Mesa Boogie Mark III purple stripe running E34L's and 6L6's. I have had many great Marshalls and this Mesa Boogie is the best Marshall I have ever heard.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I like Mark series because they don't sound like typical Marshalls, more balls and I love more Mesa lower-mids than higer mids wich most of the Marshalls have
            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I like Mark series because they don't sound like typical Marshalls, more balls and I love more Mesa lower-mids than higer mids wich most of the Marshalls have

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly, its the best Marshall tone I have ever heard. The only downside that a Marshall has to me is the lack of bottom and a tad too much high mids. My Mark III adresses both of those problems yet it still sounds more like a Marshall then a Mesa. The reason I say this is that most people equate the Mesa tone to the Rectifier. The Mark III couldn't be farther away from a Rectifier.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Update....

Just got *blindsided* by a Suhr modded JMP 50 watt Marshall that showed up on my doorstep. It's got the 3+SE mod done to it. I haven't had the chance to blast it, but what I've got out of it so far is pretty astounding.

Mmmmmmmmm..... [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Steve E

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

awesome! a suhr mod. Do tell us more. Single channel? does it clean up well with the vol pot on your guitar?

Comment

I agree that the best Marshall is a Mesa Mark III [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

But my 2204 comes damn close [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

awesome! a suhr mod. Do tell us more. Single channel? does it clean up well with the vol pot on your guitar?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes to all of the above [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Steve E

Comment

WOW Steve, you have a suhr modded Marshall?
                        How does it sound?
                        Do you have pics of it?
                        I think I will need to contact John when I get ready.

That would be my ultimate Marshall....

By the way Steve, You are a Genius. Were you born that way as well?
                        [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Right On Stevie! Can't wait to hear your review.

I should have this next week:

Comment

OMFG!!!
                            So Chuck, you sealed the deal!
                            Congrats!

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Cool, congrats to both Steve and Chuck. The JMP's are the coolest lookin Marshalls to my eyes too.
                              shawnlutz.com

Comment

Working...
                              X