Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

* Genius* - Want a Marshall sound? get a ......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: * Genius* - Want a Marshall sound? get a ..

Thanks! Trading the VHT for it.
    I like the VHT, but...I dunno.
    Toru nailed me. The SLO was my amp. After playing it for a year, anything I play now gets held up against that, and guess what? It loses. Oh, how I wish I had 2k to spend on an amp again!

Anyway, can't wait for Stevie to put down the guitar long enough to tell us about that Suhr modded Marshall! Maybe that's where mine will go...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

By the way Steve, You are a Genius. Were you born that way as well?
      [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bwahahahhhahahaaaaaaaa................. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Toru - you f*cking rock [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Steve E

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Right On Stevie! Can't wait to hear your review.

I should have this next week:

[/ QUOTE ]

Chuck -

OMFG [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] That's waaaay too funny...I was going to hit up Lavely about trading my Super 30 for that head, but the Suhr sorta fell into my lap. I think yours and my new one are both from the same JMP era - but yours is a 100 watter, right ???

Classic...so funny how whats old is new again [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

And yeah, had about 10 minutes of gig volume playing tonite through the Suhr JMP and it's pretty sick to say the least [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Congrats Chuck !

Steve E

Comment

Steve, PICS!!!
          SHOW ME SOME PICS OF THE SUHR MODDED MARSHALL PLEEEEEEAAAASSEEE!
          I think I want one too.
          [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Re: * Genius* - Want a Marshall sound? get a ......

Here's a shot of the new /old Suhr JMP....

The 3+SE mod was done to a 50 watt Canadian issue JMP (whatever that means...) It has a pull switch on the treble for more range, a tube buffered loop added, as well as a Depth control just like an SLO...you can basically dial it in for WAY TOO HEAVY if needed , but honestly I think it sounds best with just the pre at about 10:00.....after that it's a bit much. Musical, but just way more than neccesary. Sounds great through the greenback loaded Bogner cab....sheeeit - I might even try to find an old basket weave Marshall 4x12 to match now. I love the way the head looks too.

Oh yeah - the Depth control knob is on the back, and the low input jack on the front is plugged. Tha amp cleans up remarkably with the guitars volume knob...

Marshall experts - just how old is this amp ????

Steve E

Comment

WOW!
              Nice!
              The front panel does look like 76ish Marshall(pin switches with square light) but then you said Canadian JMP?

If I were getting one of these,I'd also add another CH(Clean and footswitchable) and boost switch(also Footswitchable) to it...John told me he can do these.

Now I need to get a JMP for myself...

Comment

Steve, what's the letter after the serial number?
                For that matter, the final inspection date is on the tag on the chassis...if it's still there.
                I think Toru's right though, about '76.

Yes, mine is 100w, 1980.

Congrats Steve, and it seems we are running parallel lives when it come to our amps!

Comment

Re: * Genius* - Want a Marshall sound? get a ......

JCM800 model 2205 (50 watt)!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Steve, what's the letter after the serial number?
                    For that matter, the final inspection date is on the tag on the chassis...if it's still there.
                    I think Toru's right though, about '76.

Yes, mine is 100w, 1980.

Congrats Steve, and it seems we are running parallel lives when it come to our amps!

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm....the serial number appears to have been "altered", as in gone. The paper tag on the chassis has a huge cap or something mounted directly on top by Suhr so i can't really tell the date. I know the Canadian versions had the regular switches onthem like mine...

Yeah, all sorts of paralells going on there [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Steve E

Comment

Gotta agree with JG, the Mark 3 is mighty, I can't see myself ever letting mine go [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
                      I went on the same quest. I finally found my ultimate Marshall tone. 1986 Mesa Boogie Mark III purple stripe running E34L's and 6L6's. I have had many great Marshalls and this Mesa Boogie is the best Marshall I have ever heard.

[/ QUOTE ]
                      1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

I had a jcm800 that Suhr modded. I ended up trading it for an uber. It was a nice mod and im sure John could have tweaked it for me but I always thought it was way to much bottom end and very fizzy,buzzy sounding. The one I had also had the depth knob on the back, it had so much bottom end I couldnt even turn the knob on. Im not saying yours is like this. It was great for a lead tone but there was no chance in hell to play any rythms on it. I had the same mod that Doug Aldrich uses.

Comment

Did you buy the amp that way or you ordered it with John?
                          I think the way Doug uses his amps is to set 2 amps for Rhythm and 1 for soloing. Also one more head for clean sound.
                          That is what I read in the magazine.
                          Most of modified amps out there, you will get just one sound so I guess that is what I am going to do with mine next.
                          2 amps setting.. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            I had a jcm800 that Suhr modded. I ended up trading it for an uber. It was a nice mod and im sure John could have tweaked it for me but I always thought it was way to much bottom end and very fizzy,buzzy sounding. The one I had also had the depth knob on the back, it had so much bottom end I couldnt even turn the knob on. Im not saying yours is like this. It was great for a lead tone but there was no chance in hell to play any rythms on it. I had the same mod that Doug Aldrich uses.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just had a chance to blast for about 45 min. with nobody home...you're not kidding - this thing has just a gigantic bottom end. It's not fizzy /buzzy at all and actually does the crunchy / clear rythym thing really well. I don't know what cabs you were using - but it loves my greenback loaded Bogner OS 2x12. A 4x12 might cause an earthquake [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

The key I found was to run the preamp pretty low actually and it had some serious spank. There's actually way to much gain on tap, it's pretty funny actually. You could make some people just shit if you didn't tell them it was modded and just plugged right in - no pedals needed. Mine also has a tube buffered loop switchable to mix and series. I don't know how the different amps will sound - JCM800 vs. JMP. I'll guarantee this amp sounds s big as a 100 watter.

So far it's a killer amp and will serve it's purpose well until the next amp jones comes along - but it's step in the right direction...

Steve E

Comment

is it good for leads as well ? since it's only 1 channel

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                                is it good for leads as well ? since it's only 1 channel

[/ QUOTE ]

No...it doesn't have the lead mod installed. Maybe next time.

Steve E

Comment

Working...
                                X