On tone.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On tone.....

We all want to sound like this guy and that guy, but we still end up sounding like ourselves...Steve Lukathers quote puts it best:

"I'm afraid with any gear you won't sound like me, really even if you DID have the exact gear you wouldn't. People think it's the amp and guitar that get the sound... Well, it is not. It HELPS to have great gear but we all sound the same thru any gear. I have played thru EVH's amps, I played Jeff Becks Strats... I still sound like me playing thru their gear! Hahaha, that's the way it is. Just groove and sound like yourself and have FUN!!!"

Food for tone thought....

Steve E

Re: On tone.....

I've been sayin' it for years. It's all in the hands. I teach guitar and I see these dudes sayin' "I want to sound like Stevie Ray" They buy a bassman and a strat and a tube screamer, and never sound even close! It's all in your hands, end of story!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Yup. I think you can come close, especially if they're the ones you've modeled your guitaring after. I don't think I'd want to sound like somebody else exactly. Influences are good, but I want my own twist on things anyway.

Comment

I sound like Head from Korn doinf an SRV impersonation no matter what gear I play through [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

"We all want to sound like this guy and that guy..."

Speak for yourself there surfer-boy.
          I have been after my own sound for as long as I can remember. Even back in my cover-band days, I refused to play the solo's note for note. I'd copy the gist of it, but do my own thing.

Luke is correct, though. You are who you are. Learn to embrace that. Zen. Ohm...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            "We all want to sound like this guy and that guy..."

Speak for yourself there surfer-boy.
            I have been after my own sound for as long as I can remember. Even back in my cover-band days, I refused to play the solo's note for note. I'd copy the gist of it, but do my own thing.

Luke is correct, though. You are who you are. Learn to embrace that. Zen. Ohm...

[/ QUOTE ]

I am the same way, when i do solo's or songs i do the basic original part but add my own thing. I do this for two reasons, first is to spice it up a little, and second is i could never play a song note for note with the exact feel of the original artist.

Now as for tone and that statment, i agree with that statement and disagree. I agree because everyone EQ's there amps different and not every amp is the same in tone. But i disagree because if you were to take Eddie's amp and Eddies guitar and leave his settings and play one of his songs your tone will sound like his, yeah you might play the song differently, but the overall tone will be the same.

Comment

I don't think its ALL in your hands or I'd sell the Bogner and get a crate. Come on really . I'd say technique and style but not tone. Otherwise why even have an amp forum if you can get the tone from your hands. I remember Eddie V saying he was playing your no good on the 2nd vh album and he couldn't get it to sound like the original. He said it sounds like me . But it was his style not his friggin tone. I've had numerous amps and the songs have the same style but they sounded different thru different amps. My fireball and uberschall sounded a whole lot better then my recto and peavey. Must have been my fingers fault!!!

Comment

Tone is relative.
                Example. I helped my friend who hasn't played for a long time on some tecnique. We both played with the same guitar, same amp, same setting, same pick, everything was the same. When he tried to play a solo, the tone was thin, "craknling", it sounded like some very old crappy amp, so I played a solo, I had a thick/fat tone. It was more modern sounding. Our TONE was totally different like we played thru a totally different rig.
                "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I also agree that its in the hands, technique and the way you attack the strings. A good quality amp does help inspire you somewhat but I sound like myself with whatever amp I play through, regardless if its a chreap solid state practice amp or an expensive all tube head. I do think some folks think they can buy tone but you can't, 95% comes from you hands and heart, the other 5% from gear.
                  shawnlutz.com

Comment

"Speak for yourself there surfer-boy."

Hold on there Ducatti Dude.... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I wasn't implying playing like yours & mine hero's - more chasing the sound of them through their respective equipment...Luke's point about still sounding like himself even through EVH's rig is the point - your thumbprint so to speak is whats going to come through, regardless of the gear...any morning at a GC will show that a great player can sound great through a crappy rig, and a crappy player can make a great rig sound like crap. I don't think the "suck factor" has ever been part of your signal chain [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Steve E

Comment

my take on tone is that it comes from the hands. killer amps help you feel better and bring out your "soul" more. i can play any guitar and still sound like me. i just bought a telecaster and it still sounds thick and fat when i play it...just like my jacksons, or my hamers....of course there are subtle tonal differences from each instrument, but the fundamentals of the tone are me.

i searched a long time to find the amp tone that allowed me to express my needs the best. i found that with my rivera's. in order for me to sound they way i like, i NEED those amps. i can use different guitars, ibanez, ESP, jackson, fender, hamer...i don't realy care too much about that. but for me to sound like myself and to be able to express the "soul" of my playing i NEED the rivera.

so while i agree that the bulk of your tone comes from your hands i also think it's important to find an amp that allows you to transcend your normal feelings when you play...something that allows your "being" to come out and fill the room with electricity.

but then and again, it's also easy to use excess gain to cover your natural, hand given tone. that's another reason i like my riveras. they are very organic and rather unforgiving if i am having a bad day.
                      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Go listen to that guy that does the online VH song instruction. He has a perfect Eddie tone, nails the songs so well it sounds like he is playing the CD. He also plays all those tunes on a Crate 2x12 combo that you can score for $200 on E-Bay. No $3000 super tube amp, a POS Crate and couple MXR pedals. I would say that 90% is in your hands. Good equipment helps, but is not essential.

Mike
                        Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

one dude (I think it was Ronnie) who is a singer posted a clip here wich was made with POD, he NAILED 100% George Lynch, the tone, the techique etc.

But good gear is essential, what player wants to play with a Gorilla amp
                          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            one dude (I think it was Ronnie) who is a singer posted a clip here wich was made with POD, he NAILED 100% George Lynch, the tone, the techique etc.

But good gear is essential, what player wants to play with a Gorilla amp

[/ QUOTE ]

I can pretty much nail lynchs wicked sensation tone on my pod too with the soldano patch.

Comment

I agree with PIKA and Siggy. I think boutique amps would basically be non-existant if tone just came to you by magic and by 'soul', just PAF and your hands possessed godlike tone. I don't think so! Playing style does have an influence, but I'd say it's more like 30% to 40% than 90%.
                              You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Working...
                              X