On tone.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: On tone.....

I grew up with a guy who was a killer player. I remember one night we were at my house, probably the winter break of 1988. I had a party for some friends and he stayed late. He started to play my Squier Tele with my crappy little Peavy combo that had an 8 inch speaker, piss poor solid state distortion, no reverb. An amp that, in my hands sounded like a chain saw. In his hands, it sang, it roared, it squealed. It was simply remarkable. I actually taped all the playing...but lost the tape years ago. His name was Geoff Reecer. I think he still plays jazz oriented music in the D.C. Metro area.

Mike
    Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Re: On tone.....

[ QUOTE ]
      We all want to sound like this guy and that guy, but we still end up sounding like ourselves...Steve Lukathers quote puts it best:

"I'm afraid with any gear you won't sound like me, really even if you DID have the exact gear you wouldn't. People think it's the amp and guitar that get the sound... Well, it is not. It HELPS to have great gear but we all sound the same thru any gear. I have played thru EVH's amps, I played Jeff Becks Strats... I still sound like me playing thru their gear! Hahaha, that's the way it is. Just groove and sound like yourself and have FUN!!!"

Food for tone thought....

Steve E

[/ QUOTE ]

So true! I have gobs of presets on my computer for my GNX4 and most are almost dead-on for the artist/gear that they're modelled after. But, when I try creating my own original presets with different settings, they all wind up sounding the same. I've created a preset that I think is much different from my others only to come back the next day and discover they all basically sound the same. I guess it's automatic in what my ears hear and my hands wind up doing with the controls.
      My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

Working...
      X