Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What version BBE should I purchase for my rack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What version BBE should I purchase for my rack?

I had an older BBE a few years ago. If I recall correctly it was a 322 and I must admit that I really liked the punch and added clarity that it gave everything in my rack.

I am looking to purchase another and have noticed many newer models like the 462 and 482. Are there any noted advantages to a particular model?

Thanks!

Re: What version BBE should I purchase for my rack?

I have done a direct comparison test with a 422, 422A, and a 462, and you know what I came up with? They all sound identical!!!! There are however a few features that are exclusive to certain models. My 422 has indexed pots, so the knobs click from setting to setting. I think that's better than freeturning knobs. Plus, my 422 has a footswitch jack, so I can bypass it with a footswitch if I want. I can't remember what the other models have in the way of features, or lack thereof.
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I have the 482 which bypass and here are the specs

http://www.bbesound.com/products/maxim/482.asp

Comment

Zeegs???

The 422 and the 422a sound identical..

but the 422/422a and the 462 is two different animals..

the 462 is all harsh "sizzle" to me...well to anyone with a ...with two..."ears".. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Maybe the one you tried was broken Bill. [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          I'va actually tried a couple of the 462s because 2 of my friends just bought them. I played through them with the same rig as I use my 422 with, and they seriously sounded identical. I suppose using a different rig might bring out subtle differences.
          Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

i've a 401 (one of the first ones ever made afaik ) - will there be a big difference between this and the newer models (422 / 422a) - i'm talking especially about the difference in highs ?

Comment

Buy a 422/ 422A, it is the one for guitar for sure.

I have 401, and yes there is a difference between it andthe 422.

"Maybe the one you tried was broken Bill."

Hehe, if you can't hear the difference between a 422/422A and the 462, then your ears are broken, hahaha... There is a big difference. I've owned them all...

462 is MUCH better for PA work. The 422 is MUCH better for guitar racks.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                i've a 401 (one of the first ones ever made afaik ) - will there be a big difference between this and the newer models (422 / 422a) - i'm talking especially about the difference in highs ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems that the newer the model, the more sizzley they have become. After the 422's they got so sizzley on guitar I hated them.

I sorta look at the BBEs as tone coffins anymore, and recommend them mostly for 5150s, as they seem to have a magicall relationship with them, haha... Otherwise, not impressed anymore.

Keep the 401 around, I won't sell mine, it is sort of an interesting piece and you never hardly see them. I believe the 422 series sounds better, and has nicer sounding highs. The 422 is definitely quieter. I think they got the software dialed in nicely on the 442 series for guitar usage.

I use a Furman PQ3 parametric to tighten up my rig, give it punch, edge and for general tone sculpting. Yep, they're old, sorta noisy, but they truly rock. I own other parametrics (TC 1140 etc) but there is something very cool about the Furman I love. And the BBEs sit on a shelf in the basement.

Comment

"Tone Coffin" [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I love that term.

Pete

Comment

You should, I stole it from YOU! Hehehe...

Comment

Heheh, I was thinking I stole it from you at some point. We can share it. I told a guy at GC who was trying to sell me a mode four that it was a tone coffin... I thought he was going to follow me out in the parking lot [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

Well, you only spoke the truth [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

Another vote for the new 482 here, sounds more "refined" than the 462 to my ears. Most people should be just fine with a 462, though [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

About the sizzliness, I find the highs "clearer" on the newer models, again, I find that it sounds more refined... but not to the point of lifelessness...

Bill Z: If I remember correctly, the difference between the 462 and the 422 was only in the jacks, the 462s had 1/4"s while the 422 only had RCA and XLR... Weren´t they supposed to otherwise be the same processor??... Never tried a 422 myself, but I think that was the reason, too.

Comment

Just picked up a 422 on EBAY for $65 shipped. I'll give it a whirl on my 5150 and see what the hubbub is all about.
                            Scott
                            Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

462 is a different sounding unit that the 422.. Maybe different software I believe is to blame.

Comment

Working...
                              X