• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Greatest Marshall Tone - Ever?

Van Halen I,II
    Surfing with the Alien
    both have killer Marhsall tone, although they are
    very different from each other. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
    If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Funny, I was just thinking when I woke up about the Holdsworth tone from the Soft machine, JL Ponty UK, Bruford era.. while I agree most of his sound comes from his hands...he definately had a nice Marshall tone in those days.

Comment

Fantasy by Aldo Nova.
        C'mon guys.. I had to do it!
        How about every early Kiss song?

Comment

Don't forget Yngwie! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

My picks are, by album:
            * The Brown Sound
            * Iron Maiden - The number of the beast
            * Judas Priest - Screaming For Vengeance
            * Ozzy - Bizzard of Oz
            * AC/DC - Back in Black
            * Led Zeppelin - How the West Was Won
            * Whitesnake - 1987 (but I don't think this was a marshall tone, I think it was a mesa boogie tone) but i've heard John Sykes playing live going strait to a marshall heand and the sound was just like it.

Comment

Whitesnake 87 WAS ALL MESA BOOGIE, and since John stopped using Boogies he doesn't sound so good like he did with boogies.
              "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

EVH
                Yngwie
                Randy
                Accept
                Dave murray (his tone these days, don´t really care for his tone in the 80´s)

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Funny, I was just thinking when I woke up about the Holdsworth tone from the Soft machine, JL Ponty UK, Bruford era.. while I agree most of his sound comes from his hands...he definately had a nice Marshall tone in those days.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Ponty and UK stuff was done with a Mesa Boogie, as was some of the second Bruford album. Of course he's used all kinds of stuff in the studio, regardless of what he was endorsing or using live. Some of the solos on Sand were done with a JCM800 and all the Gong stuff was a definitely a Marshall and some of his hugest tones.
                  Of course I guess you can't really call any of Allan's recordings as the quintessential Marshall sound since he sounds pretty much the same through any amp.

Comment

I also want to add the chords from The Scorps, "Still Loving You". I think that pretty much nails the heavy, sustaining Marshall power chord tone better than almost any song in history.

Mike
                    Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

have you heard the Bad Boys live album of John Sykes? go to his web site and download the samples... you will say not say that that is not a killer tone anymore.

Comment

I'm not sure what Gary Moore uses. I know his Les Paul sounds great with whatever amp he uses. If it is a Marshall, then thats my pick!
                        Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          have you heard the Bad Boys live album of John Sykes? go to his web site and download the samples... you will say not say that that is not a killer tone anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

John has ALWAYS a killer tone, but his tone in late 80's and early 90's was WAY WAY WAY better.
                          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

boy, I distinctly recall him saying in a GP article he was "pushing his Marshall pretty hard"..pretty sure it was during the Ponty era. I got the impression it was a JMP too for some reason but hey, I could be wrong. I think I recall him saying he used some rack stuff as well on the live in some other interview. If that was Mesa, it would explain why I liked his tone so much on those specific recordings. One of a Kind & UK have some great tones.

I've heard some of his live stuff & studio work from the Gong/Soft Machine era and his 'tone' was still there. There was one recording where he left a chorus pedal on from comping into the solo and the volume level had to be very loud, he a seemed to be fighting the amp. The chorus didn't help the feedback control any, but he still was playing just blowaway stuff. Its interesting to hear him use actual bends like a rock-blues phrasing intermixed with his sax line key phrasing stuff.

Comment

Doug Aldrich - Dio "Evil of Divine" DVD.
                              Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                                boy, I distinctly recall him saying in a GP article he was "pushing his Marshall pretty hard"..pretty sure it was during the Ponty era. I got the impression it was a JMP too for some reason but hey, I could be wrong. I think I recall him saying he used some rack stuff as well on the live in some other interview. If that was Mesa, it would explain why I liked his tone so much on those specific recordings. One of a Kind & UK have some great tones.

I've heard some of his live stuff & studio work from the Gong/Soft Machine era and his 'tone' was still there. There was one recording where he left a chorus pedal on from comping into the solo and the volume level had to be very loud, he a seemed to be fighting the amp. The chorus didn't help the feedback control any, but he still was playing just blowaway stuff. Its interesting to hear him use actual bends like a rock-blues phrasing intermixed with his sax line key phrasing stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're an AH fan, you should check out the Holdsworth Forum sometime. There are a couple of members who know him personally and can vouch for what gear he used for his recordings. The first Bruford album was done with a couple of Marshall JCM800s that he modded himself. Bruford has commented they were always breaking down and that he ran them loud and always had his head stuck in the back of them. For the Ponty recording, he borrowed Darryl Stuermer's Boogie and subsequently bought one himself, which he used in conjunction with the Marshall and a Vox for the second Bruford album. In UK he used a Boogie head and 2 Marshall 4x12s for his lead sound and a Boogie Mark II for his cleans sound. I did see the UK tour and can verify that was his rig. The Gong and Soft Machine stuff was mostly done with Marshalls although he was using some Vox amps back then too.
                                Always nice to meet another Holdsworth fan!

Comment

Working...
                                X