How many effects do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many effects do you use?

I recently got a used Boss CE-3 for $10 and have a few other pedals I use but I have a really simple set up:

Guitar > Wah > Chorus > Amp - for clean

Guitar > Wah > Distortion or OD > EQ > Amp - for distortion

I'm not heavy into effects but in the future there's things I'd like to try such as delay. What is your guitar set up and what's your take on using effects?

Re: How many effects do you use?

Depends what amp I'm running into and what kind of mood I'm in, but sometimes I don't use any effects. If I use my Mesa F-30, I run a Digitech Digidelay pedal in the effects loop set on the "Mod Delay" which gives a slight chorus modulation with the delay. And the amp's got dual reverbs, so I'll set it fairly low on the distortion channel and a little higher for clean.

If I'm playing my old Marshall Valvestate 2x12 stereo chorus combo, I have a pedal board set up in the following order: Guitar > Crybaby Q-Zone > Crybaby Wah > DOD Juice Box OD pedal for a boost > SansAmp Tri-AC as the main preamp sound (Fender clean, Marshall crunch, Mesa crunch) > Boss NS2 Noise Suppressor > amp.
    In the amp's effects loop: Rocktron Surf Tremolo > Boss TU2 tuner > Marshall SV1 Supervibe chorus. Sometimes I'll use the chorus' second output into another amp. And sometimes I'll even use the amp's built-in chorus set at zero but it still gives a slight boost/doubling effect, and the built-in reverb is usually off.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I use a ton of effects when playing with my band. At home I just use an amp and a delay.
      Live I use:
      Delay
      Chorus
      Flange
      Phase
      Doubler
      Harmonizer
      Auto wah
      Standard Wah
      Feedbacker (sustainer)
      Octave multiplier
      all kinds of preamps, distortion boxes and even a few fuzz boxes.
      During a guitar solo or certain parts of a song that require it, I could have up to 6-7 effects on at the same time. I also like playing solo's with 2 delays set at different speeds and levels.
      When I play live I try to recreate the sound of the recorded guitar 100% and many times that requires a ton of effects. Especially for clean parts and solos.
      For instance, to recreate the Schenker tone you need a Marshall sound and a Wah pedal that is stepped 1/2 way down. I created a patch on my GT-6 that incorporates both of those so as soon as I step on my Schenker patch it is instantly recognizable.
      I guess you can tell I am a huge fan of effects, processors and stomp boxes. I have a ton of them.

Comment

I always like to have some delay or echo in the chain, and reverb. It just makes it warmer and fatter. Sometimes I may crank on a wah-wah....but mostly, the delay and 'verb are all I run. A good distorted tone and some depth is all I need to be happy...

Mike
        Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Guitar-Wizard Wah-DS-1-amp
          Loop- delay-chorus-reverb- loop

but lately ive just been running my DS-1 straight to the amp, nothing else. when im jammming with my drummer, theres not too much need for effects

Comment

I've used a wah pedal for a couple of hours. Other than that it's the reverb on my utterly shitty and way outlived Ibanez Toneblast 25R. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

i use a VOX wah, a digitech hyper phase, and a yamaha DI-10MII distortion pedal in the front on the amp. the yamaha distortion is used for low gain applications when using the clean channel.

in the effects loop, i use an ADA SD-1000. that is used for slight chorus and 250 ms of delay on leads.
              GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                I use a ton of effects when playing with my band. At home I just use an amp and a delay.
                Live I use:
                Delay
                Chorus
                Flange
                Phase
                Doubler
                Harmonizer
                Auto wah
                Standard Wah
                Feedbacker (sustainer)
                Octave multiplier
                During a guitar solo or certain parts of a song that require it, I could have up to 6-7 effects on at the same time. I also like playing solo's with 2 delays set at different speeds and levels.
                When I play live I try to recreate the sound of the recorded guitar 100% and many times that requires a ton of effects. Especially for clean parts and solos.
                For instance, to recreate the Schenker tone you need a Marshall sound and a Wah pedal that is stepped 1/2 way down. I created a patch on my GT-6 that incorporates both of those so as soon as I step on my Schenker patch it is instantly recognizable.
                I guess you can tell I am a huge fan of effects, processors and stomp boxes. I have a ton of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

what do you use live to control all those patches? do you have a loop switcher or something? i can't imagine stepping on all those effects combos during a performance. it would be too much to handle!!
                GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Reverb and Wah,

I love a bit of verb on my cleans, Wah of course for some rock'n solos!

Comment

Zero. But I would like an EQ pedal and possibly a nice reverb.

Comment

I just use a ds-1 straight into my jcm 800.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        [ QUOTE ]
                        Live I use:
                        Delay
                        Chorus
                        Flange
                        Phase
                        Doubler
                        Harmonizer
                        Auto wah
                        Standard Wah
                        Feedbacker (sustainer)
                        Octave multiplier

[/ QUOTE ]

what do you use live to control all those patches? do you have a loop switcher or something? i can't imagine stepping on all those effects combos during a performance. it would be too much to handle!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Either I use my GT-6 or I use multiple effects loop switchers that activate entire banks of pedals with 1 button. I never have to tap dance.

Comment

I own a decent selection of effects, but the only one I've ever used in the band is my Electro Harmonix Octave Multiplexer...

Comment

This is my setup now:

Jackson [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] -> Boss ME-50 multi-effects unit->Mesa Rectoverb-(loop-send)-> MXR Ten Band EQ - >Line 6 Echo Park Delay ->(loop-return)

I only use three features of the multieffect unit; tuner, chorus, and sometimes Wah. I'll probably get rid of it eventually and get individual pedals. Oh, and the amp has built in reverb which I use as well.

Comment

When I gig, I use a seperate distortion box and a Bandit. My amp (Dean Markley K-50) has all sorts of problems, so I steal my friend's bandit. Anyway, that has a nice distortion sound on it, but I use it mostly for lead. The reverb on the amplifier is always on as well. I use an akai shred-o-matic for my rhythm and crunch sounds. It's a pretty flexible pedal, but I don't recommend it without some sort of compressor. It gets pretty noisy. It's nice to have an expression pedal to set the volume and distortion level. I only use one of the four distortion sounds on it (diode). Ironically enough, I bought it because it has a tube in it, thinking it might get that nice tube amp sound. Nope. Nothing nice about that tube setting at all! Maybe for another genre, but not for what I use it for. Even the members of the lighter rock band that I play in hate the tube setting, which is supposed to be more smooth.

What do I like to use when possible? (Possible=bad accountant at work)

Clean channel = chorus>reverb

Distortion = reverb, on rare occasion a slight trembalo. Not pitch shifting, just the "volume-shaker" effect.

Lead = wah>delay>reverb. Not much of a modulation fan as for the lead channel.

Sometimes it's kinda fun to mess around with other effects, like an envelope filter or talk box or something. I don't think you'll find one of those standardly in my line though.

Comment

Working...
                              X