Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: From VHT back to Mesa Tremoverb

[ QUOTE ]
    The Tremoverb is the amp that changed my opinion about Dual Rectifiers. I'm the opposite of Siggy, I really hate the 3-channel Dual Recs.

I found mine in a pawn shop for $500, and I bought it with the sole intention of flipping it for much, much more. Then I made the mistake of plugging it in. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

The cleans are pristine and bell-like. The ability to pull tons of hard rock and heavy metal rhythm tones out of the high gain channel is stupifying. Sure, the three channel is more versatile, but I really don't like Recs for lead work, so the third channel is wasted on me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Noodles,

I can get my 3 channel dual to sound damn close to your temoverb, it is all in the way you EQ it. One of these days i really need to get my 3 channel dual back to my apartment with my 2 channel and have you over. I am sure you havent had time to sit down with a 3 channel dual and experiment, but trust me there is plenty of tone in there, just comes down to eq'ing it right.

Comment

Sure, let me know when you want to do it, and I'll bring mine over with me. I still don't see myslef buying a three channel, though, because I really don't like the tone or feel of the amp for leads.

My Triple XXX has been religated to my lead only amp, since channel two is great for lead tones. If you can pull that kind of sound out of a three channel, I'll sell both my amps and buy one.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Sure, let me know when you want to do it, and I'll bring mine over with me. I still don't see myslef buying a three channel, though, because I really don't like the tone or feel of the amp for leads.

My Triple XXX has been religated to my lead only amp, since channel two is great for lead tones. If you can pull that kind of sound out of a three channel, I'll sell both my amps and buy one.

[/ QUOTE ]

The trick to getting a good lead out of the dual's is to use a boost pedal in front. I will be bringing my 3 channel back soon, as soon as i get the green monster (rackmount rec) in i am gonna go back and forth and see which one i am gonna keep and which i am gonna sell, so at one point i will have them both at my place.

Comment

I had an UL (with EQ) not too long ago. To me, it was almost like it didn't have enough gain. Somebody told me to put a tube screamer in front of it, but I thought if i had to do that to a $2000+ (what I bought it for) to find the tone I was looking for, hell I'd sell it and buy something else!

Comment

I need to try out a Tremoverb. I'm not a fan of the Rectos really. I have a DC-5 and love it, but it is my only Mesa amp.

I have a VHT 50CL w/EQ and I love that amp as well, it is super tight and defined, great attack. You hear every note you pick and I like that clarity, no need to bury my playing in fizz [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] It has just the right amount of gain for me (Lynch, Rhoads, Gary Moore, VH, Malmsteen etc)
            shawnlutz.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              I need to try out a Tremoverb. I'm not a fan of the Rectos really. I have a DC-5 and love it, but it is my only Mesa amp.

I have a VHT 50CL w/EQ and I love that amp as well, it is super tight and defined, great attack. You hear every note you pick and I like that clarity, no need to bury my playing in fizz [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] It has just the right amount of gain for me (Lynch, Rhoads, Gary Moore, VH, Malmsteen etc)

[/ QUOTE ]

The way you described the VHT, I bet it is similar sounding to the Mesa Mark III.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but i can get that clarity with a recto too by rolling back the gain or the volume knob. Yeah the VHT is voiced more towards a marshall so it is going to have more upper mid's then a recto so the over all tone will be slightly different. I prefer my recto's for hard rock metal and my marshalls for rock to some hard rock.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The way you described the VHT, I bet it is similar sounding to the Mesa Mark III.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sort of... I have had Mark III's IV's and the UL (along with Recto's) Yeah they are all kinda in the same class (not the recto's though) Out of them all I liked the Mark IV the best but to each his own
                  I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                  So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Well the Tremoverb is on it's way we will see if I like it. I really see myself going back to a mark iv

[/ QUOTE ]
                    If you ever decide to get rid of the Tremoverb, let me know. I've always wanted one of those! Tremolo is my favorite effect, and having it built in an amp is even cooler. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Consider yourself getting the first shot at it (and remind if I forget)
                      I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                      So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        [ QUOTE ]
                        Well the Tremoverb is on it's way we will see if I like it. I really see myself going back to a mark iv

[/ QUOTE ]
                        If you ever decide to get rid of the Tremoverb, let me know. I've always wanted one of those! Tremolo is my favorite effect, and having it built in an amp is even cooler. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a 2x12 tremo on ebay unloaded little beat up missing the two rectifier tubes and the reverb is bad, but with a BIN of $750 which is not too bad. These usually sell for about $1100 to $1200 on the bay in normal condition.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Comment

Cool. I'd rather get the head version, though, and not deal with a bulky combo. Combos bug me lately. LOL
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Considering what they go for usually, that is a pretty good deal.
                            $30.00 for a simple to install reverb tank (or maybe you can fix the one in there, it could just be the reverb tube).
                            $95.00 will get you a full set of new tubes both preamp and power if you want to go full Boogie.
                            $100.00 tops will score you 2 nice speakers.
                            You end up with a fully retubed Tremoverb with new speakers and a new reverb for $975.00.
                            I know that you can get them for around $1100-$1200 used but you usually have to retube them which means they cost you around $1300.00

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              $30.00 for a simple to install reverb tank (or maybe you can fix the one in there, it could just be the reverb tube).
                              $95.00 will get you a full set of new tubes both preamp and power if you want to go full Boogie.
                              You end up with a fully retubed Tremoverb with new speakers and a new reverb for $975.00.
                              I know that you can get them for around $1100-$1200 used but you usually have to retube them which means they cost you around $1300.00

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly, but hell with how beat up that is, i would probaly just make a head box for it and make it a head.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                                [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly, but hell with how beat up that is, i would probaly just make a head box for it and make it a head.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would do the same thing.

Comment

Working...
                                X