Rack Setup vs. a Head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rack Setup vs. a Head

I'm looking at moving up from my 1x12 combo amp to one of those 54 lb Crate 4x12's and need to decide what to power it with. Here's what I'm looking at so far:

Carvin MTS3200 Head

or

Rack system involving Peavey or Carvin tube power amp with preamp TBD some choices are:
    PODXTLive (this is the leader right now since it is its own pedal board), POD Pro, Carvin SX300, Soldano SP77, Marshal JMP-1, etc

My playing really only ranges from blues to metal so I don't care what anything sounds like clean.

You guys think the rack versatility would be worth the extra money over just getting the head? I'd like to try both out but that's not really feasible.

Re: Rack Setup vs. a Head

My friend's got a rack unit. He gets A LOT of tones from it, and it's got a bunch of cool stuff to mess with (harmonizers, rack tuners, multi effects) that saves space also. Head and cab is much less complicated and less wires bunched up though (I live for simplicity, so that works for me). All depends on what ya need really. I have a POD XT Live (selling it if your interested) and you can get a lotta cool tones from it, so it'll definatly cover your blues/metal tones easily. So many things to mess with on it that you might not even need to buy sonic maximizers or wierd multi effects units. That plus normal rack stuff might bring ya a lot of fun.

Actually, if it's just blues and metal your really gonna play, JGCable has an MTS3200 for sale I think. That'll definatly cover what you need (it's a great sounding head too) and it's much simplier/cheaper than a rack setup

Comment

If you're gonna get a PODXT running with a power amp, I'd really recommend the VHT power amps.. They really make the POD gear sound excellent.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        If you're gonna get a PODXT running with a power amp, I'd really recommend the VHT power amps.. They really make the POD gear sound excellent.

[/ QUOTE ]
        +1, or search for an old Mesa 50:50, also complements them well [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
        X