Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serial number on a Boogie combo

Hey guys,

Am tempted to buy a mesa boogie locally. The guy says he thinks it's a IIC, but he says it could just as well be a I.

I decided to be safe and verify the serial with MB, but he doesn't even know where to find the serialnumber... Any of you guys got an idea where to look?

If you're willing to help a bit, I could e-mail you the pics of the amp, so you could give me some advice.

It'd be my first tube amp purchase, and some help would be awesome. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Thanks!
    Ward
    You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Re: Serial number on a Boogie combo

I'm clad that you desided to buy a MAN's amp not a marsuckall [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      Hey guys,

Am tempted to buy a mesa boogie locally. The guy says he thinks it's a IIC, but he says it could just as well be a I.

I decided to be safe and verify the serial with MB, but he doesn't even know where to find the serialnumber... Any of you guys got an idea where to look?

If you're willing to help a bit, I could e-mail you the pics of the amp, so you could give me some advice.

It'd be my first tube amp purchase, and some help would be awesome. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Thanks!
      Ward

[/ QUOTE ]

Send pics to me. I'll tell you what you have. Make sure you include pictures of the entire back of the amp. Especially where the power cord sticks out.

Comment

E-mail sent John!

Mucho thanks in advance! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

That is a Mark IIB

Mark IIa doesn't have an effects loop (it was added when the Mark IIB was released)
          Mark IIc has a pull shift bass knob.

Comment

Excellent stuff John

Thanks a lot! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

So how're the opinions on the IIB?

Comment

Its awesome and is one of the more collectable Mark series amps. It is especially noted for its clean channel.

Comment

How is the rhythm compared to the mark iii though? I don't really play clean a lot! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Mark III has a little bit more Gain, but they are practically the same, you can get Metallcia, Petrucci, Sykes etc. tones with it, I like Mark III's lead tone more tho.
                  "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

The Mark IIc+ has the best lead tone out of all the Mark II series. The Mark III is virtually identical to the Mark IIc+ in regards to tone.
                    The Mark IIB is also noted for its fantastic lead channel. It is virtually impossible to find a bad review on it.
                    Keep in mind though that for metal, the Mark series amps sound better pushing through a cabinet rather than using them as strictly a combo.

Comment

Thanks John!

I was already planning on putting it through a different power section and into a 2x12 or 4x12.

I guess I'll pick this one up then! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

What you can do if you want is buy the Mesa Boogie rack mount kit and stick that sucker in a rack. Or you could buy an old Mark head shell and put it right in there.

Great score though! The Mark IIB's command a lot of money ussually, just check them out on eBay. These were the amps that a lot of Boogie endoresers back in the day were using; Pete from The Who, and Carlos Santana. Anywho, good luck with it. I think you'll like it.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          What you can do if you want is buy the Mesa Boogie rack mount kit and stick that sucker in a rack. Or you could buy an old Mark head shell and put it right in there.

Great score though! The Mark IIB's command a lot of money ussually, just check them out on eBay. These were the amps that a lot of Boogie endoresers back in the day were using; Pete from The Who, and Carlos Santana. Anywho, good luck with it. I think you'll like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

+1 It might be the most popular Mark II series amp even though the IIC+ has more of a cult following.

Comment

Oh that's excellent!

This is the version with reverb, but no simul class and no graphic eq.

The guy wants 550 euro, which is like $800. I'm gonna snatch her up I think!

Comment

$800.00 is reasonable. I have a Mark III that was modded. The simul-class feature is disabled and it didn't come with reverb. It kills bugs DEAD. Also, don't worry about the lack of an EQ. Mark series amps are so good you don't even need the EQ. They are all voiced from the factory without the EQ anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X