Serial number on a Boogie combo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Serial number on a Boogie combo

John - For the best lead tone in the IIC+ - what tubes would you recommend?

Comment

I like a duo of E34L's and duo of 6L6GC's along with ECC83S high gain preamp tubes and a balanced ECC83S for V5.
      If you want a smoother gain substitute the E34L's for 2 more 6L6GC's.
      I like the high gain modded Marshall JCM800 British tone. The E34L's give me that and when mixed with the 6L6GC's you get the best of both world. Mesa bottom, chunk and tightness and that killer Marshall midrange knock out punch. The high gain preamp tubes give you back the tiny bit of gain you lose by using the E34L's. I got mine from Bob at Eurotubes. $99.50 shipped 2 day air for the complete set.
      Personally Wayne, I think you should dump that dog of an amp. I know this guy in Milford who will take it off your hands. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

John, I'm in front of you in the line! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
        You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Yea, and Wayne has one of the boutique IIc+'s. Models like his have been selling for $2400.00+ lately. Sweet.
          IMHO, Wayne will have that one for a LONG time.

Comment

Might be shorter than you think! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Go for it GOR.

Comment

Hehehe.

I'm basically selling everything I have to get into the next stage of negotiations! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Easy boys! lol
                  So John, is there a difference between EL34 and 6L6 in the inner or outer positions ? I'm sure if I do the 60 watt/Simulclass options there will be, but if I run all 4 tubes, is there a difference in the stage/sequence of gain?

Comment

That "dog" has gotten little play lately.. and believe it or not - mostly CLEAN (kiler tone with an ES 335)

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      Easy boys! lol
                      So John, is there a difference between EL34 and 6L6 in the inner or outer positions ? I'm sure if I do the 60 watt/Simulclass options there will be, but if I run all 4 tubes, is there a difference in the stage/sequence of gain?

[/ QUOTE ]
                      Yes. There is a noticable difference between running a quad of 6L6's vs E34L's and 6L6's mixed when running all 4 tubes.

Comment

My bad - I meant to ask this: I believe that the 2 outer tubes are paired up, and the 2 inner tubes are paired up... is there a huge difference if , for instance, I throw the 34's in the outer positions with the 6L6 in the 2 middle slots, vs having them in the 2 middle positions with the 6l6 on the outside positions ?
                        I know if I do switch to 60 watt, there'd be a difference since I'd only be using 1 pair of tubes, but does the order of the tubes matter when running full power?

Comment

You can't switch them around like that. The order of the tubes matters on full power. It doesn't matter on 60w.

Comment

"The order of the tubes matters on full power"
                            Yep - in 100 watt mode, the 2 middle ones switch on as well.
                            So, to use it as a 100 watt and get the best improved response using a mixed/matched quad like you are talking about (I've never mixed tube types before), do I get a better voicing with the 34's in the middle slots or the outer slots ?

Comment

i am pretty sure the EL34's have to be on the outside. that's how it was for my mark IV. i'd be sure before you throw them in the middle slots because you wouldn't want to cause any damage.
                              GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Oh hell yeah - I hear ya! I could not get this transformer replaced (IIC+)
                                I guess I'll just call Boogie to be sure...
                                Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X