Serial number on a Boogie combo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Serial number on a Boogie combo

Ok guys, the IIB is still an option, for something around $680. It's aesthetically beat up, but in good working order according to the guy.

But now I've found a 1x12 Mark III combo in a boutique hardwood case. For about $1100. And I'm strongly thinking about picking that up now, in fact if I get some positive advice here, that puppy is mine!

I have one question though, my friends warned me for this, it's that Mesa's just eat tubes like crazy, and it's not easy to put tubes in (I'd have it done by a tech), but what is the exact circumstance around the usage of mesa tubes and the change in settings if you want to use other tubes?

I'll get some pics of the Mark III soon, btw.

Thanks guys!
    Ward
    You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

I have one question though, my friends warned me for this, it's that Mesa's just eat tubes like crazy, and it's not easy to put tubes in (I'd have it done by a tech), but what is the exact circumstance around the usage of mesa tubes and the change in settings if you want to use other tubes?

I'll get some pics of the Mark III soon, btw.

Thanks guys!
      Ward

[/ QUOTE ]

1st. Mesa's don't eat tubes. They use up tubes just like every other amp. My 1986 Mark III came to me with the original tubes in it and it still worked.
      2nd. Replacing tubes on a Mesa is a simple as turning the amp off and unplugging it, yanking out the old tubes and popping in the new ones. It is just about as easy as changing batteries in a flashlight. If you buy genuine Mesa tubes its even easier.
      A Mark IIB for $680.00 is hard to beat bro. That is a killer price. $1100.00 for a Mark III hardwood combo is another good deal. I forget... is the Mark IIB a combo or head? You can't loose on either amp although I prefer a head rather than a 1 x 12 combo. If it was me, I would choose the Mark IIB for $680.00. What version (stripe) of Mark III is it??? I think the red and green striped models go for more cash. It certainly is a good investment considering Mark IIc+'s in hardwood are selling for way over $2000.00! I think the last one I saw sold for $2400.00 That means they are officially untouchable by most players in regards to price. That also means players will start paying more for Mark IIC's and B's and having them modded to Mark IIC+ specs.

Comment

I was unaware the IIB could be modded to a IIC and subsequently a IIC+! Cool detail.

First of all John, let me thank you again for another helpful insightful post! You definitly are an amp guru! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

The mark IIB s what I am leaning to most atm, since the other guy sent pics and told me it's NOT a hardwood Mark III, but a tolex one (he did say so though) he did drop his price ny 200 euros.

The Mark IIB is going to be it then, It's the combo version, I sent you the pics remember? I'm going to be looking for an MB headcase and going to transfer the amp into the headcase and keep the pretty beat up combo shell for a spare. I can miss the graphic EQ, I'd throw in a more complex EQ unit eventually anyways.

I'm still unaware to the stripage (new word [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]) of the Mk III, the guy doesn't seem to be so computere savvy and his mails are slow.

I'll keep you updated as soon as I get more info! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

----------

Concerning the tubage, I know this is probably not the place, but I always thought it was dangerous as hell to go inside the amp, after all of the 'you'll get shocked to death by the remaining voltage/electricity still in the amp' warnings I saw on numerous amp sites and threads, or is this solely during biassing?

Comment

Yup, IIB's can be factory-upgraded(or they were in the past)to IIC+ and as you are obsessed with Metallica's sound I think you should definitely get that one.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            I was unaware the IIB could be modded to a IIC and subsequently a IIC+! Cool detail.

First of all John, let me thank you again for another helpful insightful post! You definitly are an amp guru! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

The mark IIB s what I am leaning to most atm, since the other guy sent pics and told me it's NOT a hardwood Mark III, but a tolex one (he did say so though) he did drop his price ny 200 euros.

The Mark IIB is going to be it then, It's the combo version, I sent you the pics remember? I'm going to be looking for an MB headcase and going to transfer the amp into the headcase and keep the pretty beat up combo shell for a spare. I can miss the graphic EQ, I'd throw in a more complex EQ unit eventually anyways.

I'm still unaware to the stripage (new word [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]) of the Mk III, the guy doesn't seem to be so computere savvy and his mails are slow.

I'll keep you updated as soon as I get more info! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

----------

Concerning the tubage, I know this is probably not the place, but I always thought it was dangerous as hell to go inside the amp, after all of the 'you'll get shocked to death by the remaining voltage/electricity still in the amp' warnings I saw on numerous amp sites and threads, or is this solely during biassing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Many amps need to be rebias'd when you change the tubes. Mesa's are a fixed bias and as long as you use Mesa tubes you can plug them right in with no worry of rebiasing. The components that hold a voltage/amperage charge are the capacitors. They are not near the tubes. The tubes are glass and are clearly visable from the back of the amp. You simply wait until they cool and unplug them. They are keyed so they only go in one way. You can have the Mark IIB upgraded to Mark IIC+. Its expensive but its a fantastic mod. You might not need it anyway. The Mark IIB has probably been used on more recordings than any other Mark II series amp anyway. Find out what stripe it has on it. The stripe is near the power cord on the back of the amp. It is literally a magic marker stripe.
            I am sure you will be very happy with it. Keep in mind.. the Mark III kills too and is pretty much the same thing as a Mark IIC+ but with an additional channel. My Mark III rips bigtime.

Comment

I just got the pics of the Mark III.

It has a green stripe over the cable, well it's a very 'pale' and 'nautious' green. I'll send you the pics in e-mail again John, if you don't mind! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I wonder what wattage it's too, I'm reluctant to ask the guy, since I don't like showing sellers I'm ignorant on a certain subject, that's sort of like shooting yourself in the foot. I see four tubes though, so that means something! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

((sorry in advance for double posting, but I didn't want to start another thread))

I'm curious as to what exactly the 'stripes' mean, I've read about them on the internet, and they're 'phases' in development, just like the A B C in the Mk II line. But the page had only brief info about what they truly signifyn for example:

[ QUOTE ]
                #4 - Blue: Reshaping of R1

- More aggressive preamp gain - reshaping of R1, Power section made akin to IIC+

#5 - Green/Simul-Class: Final R1 and Lead Channel reshaping

- Cleaner R1, Lead channel reshaping, and unlike other Simul amps, these Mark III's were wired in Pentode - NOT triode in the Class A sockets for more power. Power section is same as Blue otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would anyone be able to translate that into laymen's terms? Because god knows I'm a layman when it comes to this stuff!

Thanks in advance! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  I just got the pics of the Mark III.

It has a green stripe over the cable, well it's a very 'pale' and 'nautious' green. I'll send you the pics in e-mail again John, if you don't mind! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I wonder what wattage it's too, I'm reluctant to ask the guy, since I don't like showing sellers I'm ignorant on a certain subject, that's sort of like shooting yourself in the foot. I see four tubes though, so that means something! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Green is the last mod of the Mark III series. It is considered the "hottest" of all of them. It is a friggin monster. It is a 100w amp and I am pretty sure on the green stripe that it has a switch to go from 60w to 100w for simul-class mode. The blue stripe and the green stripe Mark III's are pretty much identical in tone to the Mark IIC+.
                  Basically its a Mark IIIE. It is very similar to the blue stripe which technically is a Mark IIIC. Here are the similarities between the blue and the green stripe.
                  #4 - Blue: Reshaping of R1

- More aggressive preamp gain - reshaping of R1, Power section made akin to IIC+

#5 - Green/Simul-Class: Final R1 and Lead Channel reshaping

- Cleaner R1, Lead channel reshaping, and unlike other Simul amps, these Mark III's were wired in Pentode - NOT triode in the Class A sockets for more power. Power section is same as Blue otherwise.

The Mark III Green stripe is a killer amp. It is also the last of the Mark III series.

Comment

Awesome then! I'll go for it then. I got the cash, and the guy's final price is 900 euros ($1074), so the price is definitly good.

John was extremely helpful and friendly, as always and helped me a bunch!

I'm won over, this thing will be mine within the week! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

I think I've never been this happy before in my life! he excitement I'm feeling, it's increidble! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

A full review is mandatory!!! Congratz!!

Comment

Of course! I wouldn't dare talk about this thing without the obligatory pics and review! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Is it possible to date a boogie by serialnumber, without having to call customer service? Is there a chart online somewhere? I'd like to know the year of this one, I don't think it's an 80's though, unfortunatly! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

You should beable to tell right from the amp itself. The date is usually written with a marker on the chassis (metal outside wehere the tubes are). You'll probably have to take the head itself out of the combo to see the date.

I called Boogie once to date my amp (which I found out to be an very early MkIII) and the guy I spoke to gave me those directions, because he said that they didn't have the serial charts in front of them all the time.

Comment

I deducted from the serial that it was from 89, met the guy this afternoon, turns on I was on the damn spot! Guess I'm da boogie pimp! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Bad part is, the deal is not going to continue. This guy apparently decided he needed it for some more studio work and his upcoming work in a musical, unless I wanted to pay more $$$, and it already was at $1320. So I declined in a friendly fashion and jammed on the Mk III for an hour. Incredible sound! Going to find me another one! First a guitar....

Bummed now though...

Comment

As they say with girls, there's more fish in the sea. Maybe it's a great thing you didn't get it. It could have been ready to blow a cap, never know man. There's always more great deals from people hard up. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                                X