Amp for running a POD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp for running a POD

I'm pretty new to using a POD XT Live. I don't want to run it through my tube amp head, so I was wondering what other options I have for powering a 2x12 cab. Is there some type of preamp I could use?

Re: Amp for running a POD

the pod IS a preamp, you just need a poweramp; if your head has an effects loop, you could try running the pod into the effects return (bypassing the head's preamp, so that the pod acts as the preamp)

Comment

Yup. There it is.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

try one of those crate power blocks. they are all teh rage on some of the other forums i visit.

Comment

I think Newc has a tube power amp for sale, unless it's already been sold.

Comment

dude, why wouldn't you want to run it through your tube head? thats what its for! just do like yabba said and go into the FX return with the output set on stack pwr amp and you'll be golden!

thats what i'm doing now and totally enjoying it.
            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              dude, why wouldn't you want to run it through your tube head? thats what its for! just do like yabba said and go into the FX return with the output set on stack pwr amp and you'll be golden!

thats what i'm doing now and totally enjoying it.

[/ QUOTE ]

EXACTLY!!!!

Comment

yes...just read your manual and make sure to use the proper settings. it has transformed average amps into demons!
                Hear the universe scream
                Bleeding from black holes
                Whom horns careless
                And whom God mourns

Comment

When I was running different modelling preamps, I ran the output to a Mesa 20/20 rack mount tube amp and to a 2x12 cab. The tubes added some bounce and warmth to the signal....

... enough that I wondered why I was doing the modelling stuff in the first place. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I ended up selling my POD, my Duoverb, and my rack preamp and now I just plug directly into a Mesa Single Recto(verb). Ahhhhhh..... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

But if you're still diggin' the modelling thing, get a tube power amp.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    When I was running different modelling preamps, I ran the output to a Mesa 20/20 rack mount tube amp and to a 2x12 cab. The tubes added some bounce and warmth to the signal....

... enough that I wondered why I was doing the modelling stuff in the first place. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I ended up selling my POD, my Duoverb, and my rack preamp and now I just plug directly into a Mesa Single Recto(verb). Ahhhhhh..... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

But if you're still diggin' the modelling thing, get a tube power amp.

[/ QUOTE ]

That works if you only need 1 basic tone for clean and 1 basic tone for distortion.
                    Most guys who use modelers need more... much more... much much more.. I have 24 different presets live and I can easily use more.

Comment

24? Amateur [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I once had all 128 User patches of my GSP 21 used up - had everything from Sabbath to Maiden (4 albums' worth each), Zeppelin, Priest, Ozzy, Schenker, Sholz, Angus AND Malcolm, ZZTop, Alice Cooper, cleans and FX of all kinds including Arena 'Verbs, Whalesong (Reverse) 'Verbs, Ping-Pongs, Tremolos of 5 different speeds - I had it all.
                      Then the damn battery croaked and I lost it all [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

And yeah I still have the tube-driven Atomic POD-friendly combo for sale, and it does indeed kick ass.
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

running my pod 2.3 into my powerball fx loop,what kind of cables do I need? reg instrument cables?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

I once had all 128 User patches of my GSP 21 used up

[/ QUOTE ]

Good God! How long did you sit in front of that thing tweaking it?!

Wodka, what kind of amp do you have? If you like your amp's sound, just run the effects off of your pod (put it throught the effects loop, as everyone else has already said). That's my plan, use a pod's effects throught the loop. You can still footswitch through your programs and keep your amps original sound. If you've got a good tube amp, using the pod is a waste.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            try one of those crate power blocks. they are all teh rage on some of the other forums i visit.

[/ QUOTE ]
                            Why would he run the POD into that when the Powerblock is essentially a mini head to begin with? He's already got a head.
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              [ QUOTE ]

I once had all 128 User patches of my GSP 21 used up

[/ QUOTE ]

Good God! How long did you sit in front of that thing tweaking it?!

[/ QUOTE ]

It took a few months from initial programming to final tweaking.

Comment

Working...
                              X