Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V30s...can they handle 100 watts?

Hi guys,
    Sometimes using the rectifier channel on my triaxis, the bass seems to make my 412 shake or vibrate, so I get that wierd bvvvt! sound instead of solid chunk coming out of the low end...I have a mesa 50/50. Each V30 handles 60 watts, so I should have roughly a 240 watt handling capability, right?

Thanks,
    Nick

Re: V30s...can they handle 100 watts?

Yeah, but if you are running a lot of bass with V30's, they will fart out.
    What you are hearing is cone excursion. The cone is hitting the limit of it's travel...next stop: buying new speakers. Knock it off! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

it\'s travel?

Waffles

Gotcha Chuck [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Re: it\'s travel?

yeah dude, that's what the bass player is for.
        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I don't really think I'm putting that much bass through the system, though...that's the only thing. I never tweaked the amp with the intent of having floor rumbling bass.

Thanks,
          Nick

Comment

My 2x12 with Vintage 30's handles 100 watts just fine, so it's hard to believe a 4x12 isn't cutting it. Maybe it has (a few) blown cone(s)?? Maybe it's the amp itself and not the cab. Get ahold of another cab and another head, and then mix and match until you isolate the actual culprit.

Comment

Does tihs happen on low volumes? If so, you're pots may be dirty, at least that's what I was told. My amp's been doing the same thing. Personally, I think it's just that my amp's a piece of shit. You might try cleaning out the pot casings with some contact cleaner. Ask somebody else specifically how to do this. I hear that there is a little hole in most pot casings and you just stick the tube of the contact cleaner in there and give it a quick spray. Then move the pot around a bit.

Just how much bass do you put in? If it's not so much, try looking for loose parts of the cab. Sometimes it's actually part of the cab that starts rattling around. If all else fails, try isolating the speaker up on some waffle crates ( I think that's what RacerX meant).

Comment

They can handle it but remember that the lower frequencies belong to the bass player. Turn your bass down and your mids up.

Comment

i play with almost no bass. no need to mingle with the bass player's register. give him the bass, give yourself the mids and leave the highs for the drummer's cymbals

Comment

What kind of cab is it anyway?
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

I play live with my bass level on 3. I use alot of midrange.

Comment

you do know that "Vintage 30's" are 60-70watt each speakers.
                        so there isn't aquestion of wheather or not it CAN handle it.

celestion does make actual 30 watt speaker but they are not called "vintage 30". the g12h is a true 30 watt speaker.
                        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Sounds more like a problem with the cab, not with the speakers.

Comment

No, its the triaxis. I used to own one also. Sometimes they put out a real low frequency that makes your speakers fart out (typical boogie tone). If you raise the trebel on that setting on the triaxis does the speaker farting go away? Let me know. I would also mess with the eq of the triaxis on that setting that should get rid of the Mesa farts. Try it and let me know. Paul

Comment

Working...
                            X