Retubing a 20/20, tube suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retubing a 20/20, tube suggestions?

It's been a while since I've retubed an amp but my new Boogie 20/20 is surging & fading badly and a couple of the tubes are running way hotter than what I think is normal so it's probably time to yank these and replace them. Anyone have any specific suggestions? Mostly looking for something warm & mellow.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Re: Retubing a 20/20, tube suggestions?

I like either sed or electro harmonics for Mesa gear. Stay away from JJ tubes. They are a great tubes but to dark sounding for Mesa gear. I also wouldnt get ripped off and buy tubes from Mesa for 3x the price of anyone else.

Comment

I put JJ EL84s in my F-30 combo and really like them. They sound a little better to me than the original Mesa EL84s that were in it.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Really. I had put JJ 6L6 in my Mesa 290 poweramp and JJ 12ax7 in my triaxis and it really was way to dark sounding. I changed to SED 6L6 and the EH 12ax7 and WOW! it really brightened and sweetend the tone up. I guess its all what your ear likes.

Comment

Well, I also put in EH 12AX7s (4) with the JJs (2), so maybe the preamp tubes are keeping the JJs from being too dark. Mesas are inherently darker sounding amps for the most part anyway, but this works really well for me even with my 7-string. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

TAD EL84-cz .... http://tubeampdoctor.shop-in-worms.n...roducts_id=355

Comment

EL84s are so cheap, I'd think about buying a few different brands. I bought JJs and EIs... the EIs were brighter than the JJs by quite a bit. Both I preferred over the stock mesa tubes which were new in the amp when I bought it. (Studio .22+)

Pete

Comment

Working...
              X