Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hearos...muffled my sound

Hey,
    On a recommendation I bought the Hearos ear plugs that are supposed to mute all frequencies neutrally - basically reduce the volume without sacrificing the sound you're hearing. Unfortunately, when I was using these with my guitar, the highs are cut, and the bass is chunkier; also, some of the attack is lost. Do any of you have any experience with Hearos, or have any recommendations for ear plugs that actually work?

Thanks,
    Nick

Re: Hearos...muffled my sound

yeah the earplugs that i get for free at work, work real good! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      Hey,
      On a recommendation I bought the Hearos ear plugs that are supposed to mute all frequencies neutrally - basically reduce the volume without sacrificing the sound you're hearing. Unfortunately, when I was using these with my guitar, the highs are cut, and the bass is chunkier; also, some of the attack is lost. Do any of you have any experience with Hearos, or have any recommendations for ear plugs that actually work?

Thanks,
      Nick

[/ QUOTE ]

which ones are you using and are you putting them in properly?

Comment

Westone ES-49, there is IMO no better plug out there... But they cost a bit more, like any quality product [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

http://www.westone.com/music/elite.html#es49

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          [ QUOTE ]
          Hey,

Thanks,
          Nick

[/ QUOTE ]

which ones are you using and are you putting them in properly?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm using the Hi-Fi ones (high fidelity)...supposed to provide flat attentuation, and as far as I know, I'm putting them in correctly. It says until the last and largest flange seals around the ear canal.

Comment

I put them in until the tips of both earplugs meet [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              I put them in until the tips of both earplugs meet [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="yellow">Thus, it is so confirmed [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] </font>

Comment

Zerberus is right -- if you really want a natural attenuation, you need something like the Westones. I have a pair and they work really well. These are the only earplugs I can tolerate.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Westone ES-49, there is IMO no better plug out there... But they cost a bit more, like any quality product [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

http://www.westone.com/music/elite.html#es49

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I use the ER-15s, and they're awesome.

I also have a pair of Etymotics, and they're pretty good. Hearos used to sell these as the hi-fi ones, but I think they changed suppliers...
                  Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

Don't you have to have the Westones fitted by a doctor?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      Don't you have to have the Westones fitted by a doctor?

[/ QUOTE ]

Audiologist, yes, because you need to have castings of your ears taking to make the earmolds. They're not cheap, but they work very well.

Comment

well, would the Etymotics be the best bet so far as a temporary until I can gather enough money to pay for the Westones?

Thanks,
                        Nick

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          I'm using the Hi-Fi ones (high fidelity)...supposed to provide flat attentuation, and as far as I know, I'm putting them in correctly. It says until the last and largest flange seals around the ear canal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Make sure you're putting them in correctly, or if the correct way doesn't seem to work maybe move it around a little bit. My drummer and I both have those exact same earplugs and they work really well, they take a good notch out of that loud high end (snare cracks, cymbal crashes) as well as everything else. Also remember that bass will always 'seem' loud because you're not just hearing it but feeling it.

Out of curiousity what application are these for? Watching concerts? Recording bands? Running live sound / security? Playing in a practice space? Playing live?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            well, would the Etymotics be the best bet so far as a temporary until I can gather enough money to pay for the Westones?

Thanks,
                            Nick

[/ QUOTE ]

They're killer for the price. Several members of Division simply use them - I like the earmolds better, but that's mainly because the Etymotics tend to fall out of my ears, for some reason. The other guys in my band don't seem to have that issue. The molds and Westones - Etymotics makes the same sort of filters, too, BTW - do sound just a bit better. The bass does become more prominent with both, however, because you get more of it from bone conduction than you do higher frequnecies.

Comment

yeah, more bass is something no plug can compensate for at high volumes for that reason [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X