Marshall 8004

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall 8004

Right, so i bought a marshall 8004 poweramp last weekend, and plugged it into the speaker from my line6 spider combo, and it sounds all thin, is this down to the poweramp being shit, or would it be down the speaker being 16 ohm, and the amp only outputting at 8 ohms?

Re: Marshall 8004

also.........how much difference in tone will i hear from a 1936 2x12 cab to a 1960a 4x12 cab?

Comment

My Marshall 8004 is a great sounding power amp. Not as great as some insane sounding VHT mind you but still for the money not bad.

I suspect that it could be the Line 6 speaker that is in your combo. I do not think that it is some Celestion or EV for that matter. Try it with a proper 2x12 or 4x12 to see.

Do you have it switched to "Valvestate" in the back?

For what it is worth a 4x12 will always sound louder and give a better low-end response than a 2x12. However it is doubtful that you will notice because after hauling a 4x12 around to a few gigs you will be too busy on the chiropractors table.

Some more details might help address the issue.

Let us know!

Comment

its a line6 tubetone speaker, it sounded ok when the combo was working, when i ran my preamp/effects unit into it, volume wise i'm not really kranking it, and tried the switch set to both settings on the back, could it be the single tube in it is on it's way out?

Comment

i wish i had a 2x12/4x12 accessible to me, was thinking about buying a marshall 1936, also i have a lee jackson gp-1000 preamp, which i would say might sound similar to your jmp-1

Comment

Nah!

Its the cheapish speaker (sorry mate!) that is in the combo. Besides is it not just a 10" speaker as well?

I am sure that a 12" might help but still nothing beats a true 2x12 or 4x12.

Remember that your Line 6 speaker was "tuned" and chosen to work well with that combo and not made to be a cabinet per say.

Comment

yeh its a 12" cone, should i go ahead and buy a 1936 cab then?

Comment

If you already have a preamp as well as that Marshall, then I would say go ahead and score a 4x12. Nothing beats a 4x12!

Be warned that even though the Marshall is a very good power amp, you might find your self saving up for a really kick ass tube version down the line.

I know that I will soon purchase a Marshall tube power amp because it does sound that much better. Mind you I used a Randall solid state for a long time and I was pretty happy with it overall.

Let your ears be the judge...

Comment

not got the room for a 4x12, and it would be too loud for my bedroom, so would you advise the 1936 cab?

Comment

Ahhh....No a 4x12 is really made for gigs. Small combos are indeed better for home practise.

Comment

would it be worth me trying a normal 12" 8 ohm stereo speaker to see if that sounds any beefier?

Comment

You bought the Marshall to use with the Lee Jackson right?

Try a 2x12 or at least a good 1x12 cabinet as I sure that it will be better than the Line 6 speaker.

Comment

yes, i bought the marshall cos it was cheap, ok i'll see if i can get a chance to try a 2x12 somewhere

Comment

Working...
                          X