Rocktron Pro Q Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocktron Pro Q Question

I know someone who's using a Pro Q in his rig. He's running one side of the unit in his serial effects loop without problem. He's attempting to run the other side of the unit in front of his amp, so he has pre and post distortion EQ options. However, when he runs the Pro Q in front of the amp he gets lots of hiss - it's noise, not a ground loop. Have any of the Pro Q users around here tried to run it between the guitar and amplifier? Does it work fine like that, or is the guitar voltage level too low to work properly with the Pro Q? I suspect that he might be encountering quantization noise because the guitar level is too low for the A/D's in the unit, but I have little experience with the unit myself...

Re: Rocktron Pro Q Question

It's a noisy unit and was too processed sounding. I had one a for a long time. Liked it for a while, but lost my interest and went to a parametric. I never looked back.

I tried it through the front end and it did what your friend is experiencing. Really badly when running some heavy gain. Hiss and noise pretty much sums it up.

Maybe the quantization explanation explains it. I just know it didn't sound so great in the front. I'm thinking that the front end adds so much gain it take the noise inherrent in the unit and really accenuates it.

Comment

I didn't notice much noise for the very short time I had mine, but I agree about processed sound...but this isn't my sound! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] In fact, I've just gone through another round of picking up some effects units and trying them with my amps and once again I just am not digging the effects sounds with my amps for anything practical (as toys they're amusing for awhile). Plus, I just do not enjoy sitting around programming patches up...but I digress here!

Maybe my memory is bad, but isn't the Pro Q a parametric EQ, or do you mean just a basic analog parametric?

Comment

I had a Pro-Q for a short time (bought it off of Joel). It was really cool and could get tons of different tones. I only used it in the effects loop of my Mesa F-30 combo and thought it sounded great. I never tried it in front of the amp, but I don't think it was meant to be used that way.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Maybe my memory is bad, but isn't the Pro Q a parametric EQ, or do you mean just a basic analog parametric?

[/ QUOTE ]

It has a parametric-ish feature, but not a parametric. It is sort of like midi controlled bass and treble controls with one parametric style control that has width, cut/boost. Quite limited really. But does have some interesting uses, not enough to take up a space in my rack though. I found a that Furman PQ-3 or TC 1140 was MUCH better and much more versatile.

I was nailing the black album (metallica) quite well with it. Otherwise, it wasn't too useful for me. Nice for Black Metal IMO...

Comment

Working...
          X