marshall JMP1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• marshall JMP1?

I've heard a lot of good things about these preamps...
    Assumings its plugged into a good tube power amp..
    Is it high gain enough to get that Megadeth/In Flames/Arch Enemey type gain out of?

If not.. any reccomendations guys?

I'm looking to mentally piece together a rack, so when I get the settlement from my car wreck, I'm ready to go.

Re: marshall JMP1?

Insufficient gain, "Chunk" or "chug" IMO...

Good for Old Savatage, Classic marshall tones like Old Priest etc...

Lotsa peope love those things.. Mine was a doorstop for years till I ebayed it. Did have its good points. When played through a marshall 800, it was very cool and sounded great. Sorta like an expensive MIDI distortion pedal, haha...

Rocktron Voodu Valve is fairly close to the bands you mentioned. But, a little dead sounding.

I'm sure someone will dispute my opinion though...

Comment

You seem to make a strong point in your opinion, but offer no "good" preamp reccomendations... come on folks...chime in...

Comment

Always loved the sound of a Rocktron Piranha Preamp or a Mesa Triaxis. Mate it with a VHT 2150 poweramp and you'll get the sound you're after. Just my opinion though. I've been wrong plenty of times before. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        "The BLUES is the tonic for what ails ya."

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          You seem to make a strong point in your opinion, but offer no "good" preamp reccomendations... come on folks...chime in...

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm....

[ QUOTE ]
          Rocktron Voodu Valve is fairly close to the bands you mentioned. But, a little dead sounding.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm... that would be a recommendation... And pretty cool for what you're doing, again, sorta dead sounding but a seriously cool preamp. I'd figure the Pirana is of that caliber as well, but not quite there... I haven't played one enough to say honestly.

PSA-2 Sansamp is somewhat of a good one... Reasonably cheap.

ENGL 530 Very cool. Not cheap

Engl 570 VERY VERY VERY cool, and VERY VERY VERY expensive. Would do exactly what you want and much more. Same for the CAE3+se that I personally use. I'd choose the 570 over it for your needs...

Comment

Te JMP-1 is one of the best midi pre-amp's out there, but like CM said, not for metal. It has great classic Marshall hard rock tones, but for anything heavier look elsewhere.
            "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

Listen to any newer Loudness Albums.
              Akira Takasaki uses JMP1 and his tone is very heavy.
              I want one too.
              [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

i tend to disagree, it's definitely suited for metal. just not the oversaturated bottom heavy crap people want nowadays. it's good for classic stuff like maiden/priest up to thrash metal (thats what we used to use it for before switching from racks to heads). it will definitely do megadeth, but for arch enemy and in flames sounds a 5150 would be your first choice - if it was a rack preamp, that is [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

i'd second the engl preamps

Comment

with the right power amp, and a BBE you can get really heavy with the JMP1's. I suggest either the marshall 9100 or a mesa boogie 2:90. The 2:90's sound killer with the pre-amp, you have the deep function plus the modern function that help the preamp alot, plus 6L6's get you alot heavier sound then EL34's or EL84's will. So my suggestion is a power amp with 5881's (mix between el34 and 6L6's) like the 9100 or the 9200, or any power amp with 6L6's.

I know Maiden were using the JMP1's going into a modified 9200, i think the mod is they make it so one footswitch will switch both channels into the modern mode or so it can be MIDI controlled.

Dave's Setup http://guitargeek.com/rigview/353/

Adrians http://guitargeek.com/rigview/351/

Comment

i had a jmp1 running thru an engl 930/60 poweramp, it sounded good,but you really gotta crank this thing to get a nice singing lead sound, and a more tighter rhythm sound, and i mean, TURN IT UP....apart from that, awesome unit, i sold it to get a rocktron chameleon, worst move i done.....im over rack gear now though, got a nice blackmore on the way.
                    cheers

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The Engl E530 is $479.........not much more than a used JMP-1 goes for around here......worth looking into - I love my E530....... [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Thanks for all of your input guys.

I guess depending just how much money I come across, I'll be looking at a pirrahna, voodoovalve and a Engl 570.

Whats a Engl 570 go for on the used market?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          Thanks for all of your input guys.

I guess depending just how much money I come across, I'll be looking at a pirrahna, voodoovalve and a Engl 570.

Whats a Engl 570 go for on the used market?

[/ QUOTE ]

Currently around $1150 or so...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The Engl E530 is $479.........not much more than a used JMP-1 goes for around here......worth looking into - I love my E530....... [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I sold my JMP-1 for $200, and bought a Voodu for $215. ENGL's hold the value well.

Comment

By Siggs!!!!.."with the right power amp, and a BBE you can get really heavy with the JMP1's. I suggest either the marshall 9100 or a mesa boogie 2:90. The 2:90's sound killer with the pre-amp, you have the deep function plus the modern function that help the preamp alot, plus 6L6's get you alot heavier sound then EL34's or EL84's will. So my suggestion is a power amp with 5881's (mix between el34 and 6L6's) like the 9100 or the 9200, or any power amp with 6L6's."

Jeez...that's exactly what I say...hell yeah!!!

I play Death / Black / Power metal and it does it very well...I get Zakk Wylde squeals from hell with this thing...a very tight , responsive attack...and better articulation and definition than my Uberschall...just as good definition ot BETTER than my ol' 2210's...I traded those for this set up ...it was a "no - Brainer" at the time...that I remember!!!!

I play very dark , fast , heavy rifss...and this Marshall rig I have with the JMP-1 has an edge that can rip my head off...kinda like Glen Drover's tone...but much ballsier in the bottom end ...thanks to 8 5881s and my 422 BBE..and four marshall 1960b ..very chunky and very TIGHT!!!!

I love it...i will NEVER be without it..
                              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                              X