marshall JMP1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: marshall JMP1?

Horns, what BBE model do you use.reccomend?

Comment

422 or the 422a...

I use the 422...it works pretty well with my set up.
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

used to play through a jmp-1/bbe 482/peavey classic 50/50 set, was able to nail that deicide tone pretty close... anything more saturated, look further than the jmp-1 [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Bill, you were just telling me you were selling the JMP-1! Haha... MAke up your mind you tard...

Sell that thing... And get off the BBE...

BBE's are like crack... You "think" you sound good, yet everyone else that is listening knows the truth, hehe...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Te JMP-1 is one of the best midi pre-amp's out there, but like CM said, not for metal. It has great classic Marshall hard rock tones, but for anything heavier look elsewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

A JMP-1 can't do metal?? Jim just doesn't know how to work his. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
            We are in the same band so I can say stuff like this.
            BTW... Jim, when is your Mesa Mark III coming in? [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

I just feel they are not a heavy preamp. They don't have the low end chug/grind that I feel a metal preamp should have. I know people playing metal (and are liking their tone) with hot rod devilles, so obviously, your mileage may vary...

Seems that when I listen really closely to them, I hear a weird undertone (like almost like digital artifact) that goes along with the notes that bugs me. Honestly, I'm not all that impressed with the JMP-1 clean tones either. I mean, it's not a "bad" preamp I guess, it's just not a great one for my needs.

IMO, for most people, it is a good classic metal preamp, or a very good hard rock preamp.

What I do have to mention is that they list for a tremendously ridiculous price and there are better things out there for the dough. Unless you get it for cheap of course.

Comment

well the JMP1's are shooting up in price, now is the time to get them used cheap. They use to go for about $350, now they are roughly going in the $400 range since marshall uped the prices on them. Another suggestion with the JMP1's, change the shitty marshall preamp tubes in them, and throw some high gain preamps in there!

Comment

"Bill, you were just telling me you were selling the JMP-1! Haha... MAke up your mind you tard..."

No Way!!!!...Never...Not gonna happen..

I love this fuckker...and this fucker loves me!!!
                  [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    [ QUOTE ]
                    Te JMP-1 is one of the best midi pre-amp's out there, but like CM said, not for metal. It has great classic Marshall hard rock tones, but for anything heavier look elsewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

A JMP-1 can't do metal?? Jim just doesn't know how to work his. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                    BTW... Jim, when is your Mesa Mark III coming in? [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I own a rectifier and I own a JMP-1. I go to the rectifier for metal every time. I don't want anyone to think the JMP-1 is wimpy though. It can do older metal very well, but for the modern stuff, you need more "sizzle." Thats a jgcable trademarked term! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I'd like to try a BBE in there, but I'm trying to keep all this in a 4 space rack bag.

The Mark III John? I'm workin on it! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
                    "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      [ QUOTE ]
                      [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I own a rectifier and I own a JMP-1. I go to the rectifier for metal every time. I don't want anyone to think the JMP-1 is wimpy though. It can do older metal very well, but for the modern stuff, you need more "sizzle." Thats a jgcable trademarked term! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I'd like to try a BBE in there, but I'm trying to keep all this in a 4 space rack bag.

The Mark III John? I'm workin on it! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah i use my rect for metal too and have always preferred my marshall for rock/hard rock

Comment

I like my JMP-1 better than my Uberschall for speed picking (tremelo picking) ..ala black or death metal because of the definition it gives me..

this is true.. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

never thought a good ol' "hard rock" amp would do this that well..I don't play hard rock....I don't like hard rock!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Listen up guys...I had this thing for TEN years now...and >>>>I<<<< get a heavier Glen Drover tone out of it..

that's NOT hard rock!!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Hey, if any one can do it, it's you Bill! Even if you were playing though a Gorilla! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I think "hard rock" was a bad choice of words. Put it this way, the JMP-1 (and I really love this thing) has IMO one of the best, heaviest out of the box sounds out of most Marshalls. That being said, My rectifier just screams metal. Marshall's do one thing and Mesa's do another. Now with the BBE in there, all bets are off since I haven't tried one. I will say this though, My JMP-1 through my computer (via the emulated speaker outputs) sounds way heavire than the through my Carvin T100 (via the standard stereo outputs). I think that could be the fault of the Carvin though. Not sure if I'm diggin it.
                            "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              Hey, if any one can do it, it's you Bill! Even if you were playing though a Gorilla! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I think "hard rock" was a bad choice of words. Put it this way, the JMP-1 (and I really love this thing) has IMO one of the best, heaviest out of the box sounds out of most Marshalls. That being said, My rectifier just screams metal. Marshall's do one thing and Mesa's do another. Now with the BBE in there, all bets are off since I haven't tried one. I will say this though, My JMP-1 through my computer (via the emulated speaker outputs) sounds way heavire than the through my Carvin T100 (via the standard stereo outputs). I think that could be the fault of the Carvin though. Not sure if I'm diggin it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even without a BBE, just having the right power amp you can make it scream metal.....

Comment

Jim...I like the JMP-1 because it has a razor sharp edge that you can shave with...and definition that other preampos like the voodoo valve can NOT touch..IMstrongO..
                                and if I'm NOT mistaken...a whole shitload of heavy hittin' mofos recorded with this preamp...very heavy..

like Dimmu Borgir , Older Soilwork and a whole bunch that would surprise you..

You can get a much heavier sound in studio by layering two thinner guitar tones than one phat ass one...that just sounds like mud.

Rectos sounds like fuzzy mud to my ear...I owned one of the first ones...if you want "modern"...KORN sounding shit...yeah a Recto is much better than the JMP-1..

if you want clarirty , articulation , and the definition only a MARSHALL can give you...the JMP-1 is the ticket..for ANY kind of metal!!!

Look up my "bed of nails" demo here somewhere...that was recorded with both my Uber and my Marshall...in the song "scapegoat"...I got Dime's lead tone pretty much nailed in the intro (jmp-1 + 535Q wah)...and that was recorded with a shitty vocal mic onto a 4 trk!!!!

The proof is in THAT puddin'... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                                X