marshall JMP1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: marshall JMP1?

the only thing that I can concure with my bro John is that they are very pricey for what it is ...in comparison to others preamps of much finer quality like an Engl..

but I never played th Engl...maybe I wouldn't like it....and then it would be worth "shit" to me...

So I go with what I know.. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      Jim...I like the JMP-1 because it has a razor sharp edge that you can shave with...and definition that other preampos like the voodoo valve can NOT touch..IMstrongO..
      and if I'm NOT mistaken...a whole shitload of heavy hittin' mofos recorded with this preamp...very heavy..

like Dimmu Borgir , Older Soilwork and a whole bunch that would surprise you..

You can get a much heavier sound in studio by layering two thinner guitar tones than one phat ass one...that just sounds like mud.

Rectos sounds like fuzzy mud to my ear...I owned one of the first ones...if you want "modern"...KORN sounding shit...yeah a Recto is much better than the JMP-1..

if you want clarirty , articulation , and the definition only a MARSHALL can give you...the JMP-1 is the ticket..for ANY kind of metal!!!

Look up my "bed of nails" demo here somewhere...that was recorded with both my Uber and my Marshall...in the song "scapegoat"...I got Dime's lead tone pretty much nailed in the intro (jmp-1 + 535Q wah)...and that was recorded with a shitty vocal mic onto a 4 trk!!!!

The proof is in THAT puddin'... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree with most of what horns has to say, the only thing i dont is about the recto's, with the right EQ's and right amount of distortion, and stay away from the modern channel you can get a great metal tone with definition. In my Eyes i am not a big fan of the moderm channel at all, most peoples mistake, throw it on modern and scoop the mids, sounds like total ass.

Comment

can you get this kind of tone with a JMP-1 ?

http://digitalsoundplanet.com/Member..._000028563.mp3

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Jim...I like the JMP-1 because it has a razor sharp edge that you can shave with...and definition that other preampos like the voodoo valve can NOT touch..IMstrongO..
          and if I'm NOT mistaken...a whole shitload of heavy hittin' mofos recorded with this preamp...very heavy..

like Dimmu Borgir , Older Soilwork and a whole bunch that would surprise you..

You can get a much heavier sound in studio by layering two thinner guitar tones than one phat ass one...that just sounds like mud.

Rectos sounds like fuzzy mud to my ear...I owned one of the first ones...if you want "modern"...KORN sounding shit...yeah a Recto is much better than the JMP-1..

if you want clarirty , articulation , and the definition only a MARSHALL can give you...the JMP-1 is the ticket..for ANY kind of metal!!!

Look up my "bed of nails" demo here somewhere...that was recorded with both my Uber and my Marshall...in the song "scapegoat"...I got Dime's lead tone pretty much nailed in the intro (jmp-1 + 535Q wah)...and that was recorded with a shitty vocal mic onto a 4 trk!!!!

The proof is in THAT puddin'... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear ya Bill. The JMP-1 is very sharp. Not muddy or floppy sounding at all. I go back and forth between to two. I love the Recto, but believe it or not, I get a much better heavy tone, when I use the modern setting and back off the gain.

I'm still playing around with power amps for my JMP-1. I'm trying to keep it simple and light. I'm trying a Mesa 20/20 next.

I guess it's not really fair to compare the JMP-1 ot the Recto's. They are two different beasts.

Time to go look for that bed of nails clip.........
          "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

Hey Jim...good luck finding that clip...Emmy tried to search for it not long ago and it went..poof..and BTW jmp-1 should sound great with that Mesa 20/20...for a smaller poweramp..the BBE works well with mine...I think part of my tone is the Jfx-1...it's simple as shit but it sounds pretty damn good....Marshall only made them for a couple years and they went ..poof.

FSU...all I can say is fuck yeah...and then some...it's on my clip (if i can find it)...it's heavier than that! [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

maybe John can post them again...I don't know how to that stuff yet.. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Hey Siggy ...you must have spent more time and had more patience with the Recto than me...I couldn't dial up a cool sound to save my life..I even brought it over to John's house in total desperation about 13 years ago or so...when they first came out..I bought one immediately..that cool armidillo add sold me [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]...I was partial to 5150 with the BBEs at that time...and old Marshalls!

when I first heard the 5881 Marshall rack rig a few years later...it was the SHIT for me..and I liked it ever since..it may not be the uber quality and craftmanship of some amps today...but it still kicks major amounts of ass for me..

it still inspires me to want to play...and play I shall..NOT tweak....that get's old! [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]

funny thing is no matter what gear John or I ever used we always sounded the same.....just better and improved versions of that same (to us i guess)..so I just go with what I know....I still really like my tone and I make the best of it..I'm tired of chasin' my tail fuckin' with "tone" ...I gave that shit up...I just wanna shred. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I found it!!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

here is the basement tape with the JMP-1 on it...the Uber (L) was live with the drums (because my fag drummer couldn't play to a click) and the Jmp-1 (R) was added with a very cheap "barrowed" mic..but fuck it...you can get an idea of what I do with my JMP-1..the lead intro to "scapegoat" it just one JMP-1 track...dry with a Dunlop 525Q..

but GG asked if it was heavy enough for stuff like Arch Enemy...well check it out [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

BTW...there is not much "shredding" on this...just the meat and potatos of the song "idea"...that's all. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

High Speed Death Roll
              http://www.clevelandmetalzone.com/mp...ddeathroll.mp3

Scapegoat
              http://www.clevelandmetalzone.com/mp3/scapegoat.mp3

Comment

GODDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUM!

When you right you're right Bill! Forget the tone(though it was sweet), Scapegoat is a killer tune.

I need to spend more time with my JMP-1 I've only had it for a month and my tweaking was only done with the JMP-1 and my G-major. I love what I've gotten out of it so far.

I still love my Recto. I think the Singles have a much different feel than the Duals. Maybe it's the solid state rectifier stage in the singles? What ever it is, I get a crazy good tone out of my single without having to screw around with it for an hour. I used it lastnight at a gig and I just plugged it in and turned it on. That was it.

More clips Bill, more clips! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

Thanks Jim...well to be honest the tape doesn't really do my tone justice...but you can definitely see that the JMP-1 is FAR from a "classic" metal....oh it does that too if you want it....but as you can see it does the heavy shit quite well..

the other song "high speed death roll"...sounds like it could be a Arch Eneny demo or draft of a song..it is of the same ...ilk. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

so yeah...the JMP-1 can do Arch Enemy kinda stuff too..if you want it to...and if you play like that.. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

any chance you could make some Megadeth or Metallica clips ? ... or some sepultura or deicide clips ?

Comment

No dude...I am NOT a cover guitarist...I don't learn other people's crap...I'm just inspired by it...sorry..

Let some kids learn MY crap...maybe even I could inspire someone..that would be cool [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

it's not so much that I want you to play their songs, I just would like to hear a bit more about the jmp-1 that's all

Comment

that's all I got for now..

but you can tell from those tunes that a JMP-1 ain't no blues amp....even though it can do that too..

I posted it to PROOVE that it can be one heavy mother fucker..

no stomps or modified bullshit needed or required...just a plain ol' JMP-1 [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Comment

hehe, I got your point

have you ever tried it with a power amp that has 6550 tubes ?

Comment

I had two Lee Jackson 100 wt Ampeg heads...I bought them when they came out..around 90' or so..Zakk Wylde endorsed them for like a week..

one came with 6550s...and the other came with EL34s...I always thought the 6550s SMOKED the EL34s..

I do NOT like EL34s...I think they suck major amounts of ass....that has been the one thing that has remained consistant after two decades of fuckin with amps..I don't like EL34s..

even with a 9200 loaded with that shit...my 5881s..smoke it!!

No comparison!!!

Hell fuckin' NO.. [img]/images/graemlins/refuse.gif[/img]

Comment

because I was looking for a JMP-1 plus either a 9100 or 9200 and I'd switch the tubes for 6550 instead of the el-34s

I'm mainly looking for tones like Children of Bodom, Metallica, Megadeth and this kind of shit ... at least from what I can hear from your clips is that it's possible to get better tones than Phil Campbell from Motorhead

edit: I was looking for a JCM 800 also but I guess I'd have more versatility with a JMP-1, I play lead guitar and need some cleans once in a while. I'm still not sure what to do ...

Comment

Working...
                                X