marshall JMP1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: marshall JMP1?

I had shitload of JCM 800s...shitloads of 'em..

I trully like this set up much better...it is alot heavier than any Marshal head that I ever heard..

I traded two of those heads to get this set up..

I would say if you are going to get a 9200..get the 5881 ..the ealier series..or I'm sure you can convert the EL34 version..

the JMP-1..with the 5881s (6L6)..sound great together...more low end than the EL34s and more edge...and Marshall no matter how great their tone or definition may be..they can use all the tight low end they can get..
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I was thinking a bit more of the 6550 because of the bottom they have, but I'll see if I can get one of those ealier versions

Comment

yeah the 5881 version have a ton more bottom than the EL34 ones..I know a few dudes who play this set up...and their EL34s sound so thin...and crappy..

they hear my shit and ask me....why don't mine sound like that???!!!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

and does an overdrive pedal have any effect when it's used with a preamp ?

Comment

yeah...it sounds like shit...

that is one thing the JMP-1 never liked in front...Tube screamers..OD-1s...DS-1s..nuthin'..

but to be honest it doesn't need it...it has just 'enough" gain to do whatever metal you want to do really...just enough...any less and you would need "something"..

I play mine straight...with the gain maxed...that's it..it has the same amount of gain as a 8200 valvestate..which was Death's tone and Glen Drovers tone....that's all they use...it does that and then some...so if you like that sound...this is it.

happy hunting and tweakin'.. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

hehe, the only thing that keeps me from getting a JMP-1 with a 9100 is the lead sound, maybe the clips I heard didn't really show how good it can be but that's pretty much the only thing keeping me away right now

and why do people say it's SS while it has 2 tubes ?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                and does an overdrive pedal have any effect when it's used with a preamp ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep Bill is right, the JMP-1s sound kinda bad like that. Sorta because it IS a distortion pedal itself mounted in a midi controlled rack unit...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  hehe, the only thing that keeps me from getting a JMP-1 with a 9100 is the lead sound, maybe the clips I heard didn't really show how good it can be but that's pretty much the only thing keeping me away right now

and why do people say it's SS while it has 2 tubes ?

[/ QUOTE ]

The lead sound is the ONLY reason I'd use one of those. It's the rhythm sound that I dont like that much.

It has tubes, but they are not doing much, and are running at such low voltages they are not being very effective. They just sorta flavor the tone a bit. The main distortion you are hearing is a diode network that is clipping the sound, pretty much a rack mounted distortion pedal.

Comment

3 amps I want

Mesa Mark IV or III
                    JMP-1 + 9100
                    JCM 800 2203/2204

don't know what to get

Comment

its a diode and whatknot!

I like they way that sounds...D I O D E....yeahhhhh [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

I'm Baked! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                      X