X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got my Fab amp in...

here are pics.

Re: Got my Fab amp in...

I know nothing about amp building or what the insides of an amp are supposed to look like... But to me it doesn't exactly look all that well made. The exterior looks really cheap and poorly constructed compared to your amp sitting below it. The interior looks just like a mess, to my eyes.

What is your opinion on how it sounds, looks, and how it is built?

Comment

Ok Pete, it looks like shit. How does it sound?
      Sloppy wiring, cabinet, chassis etc... those solder joints look like a 1st time grade schooler did them. Horrible.
      You would think that a person who was at the level of amp building would at least know how to solder.
      That brown tolex'd amp looks interesting... Is that the Spitfire clone?? Did you do any other mods to it? Could you put an effects loop in it?

Comment

I can't believe you spent money on it, Pete! [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/sick.gif[/img]
        You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

I haven't had a chance to really mess with it much, and I want to wait until I can to give a review... but I doubt anything I say in a review is going to be taken as gospel due to the 'history' I have with the maker.

GodOfRhythm - trust me, it wasn't much.

JG - there's probably room to add it. At least a passive loop.

Pete

Comment

Pete,
            1. We really need a review of that amp. I noticed that one of the caps had glue residue on it from when it was previously glued to a board. He couldn't even spring for new caps? Also, if I am not mistaken, that Hammond tranny is a really cheap model. For around $10.00 more he could hav gotten twice the quality.
            2. Shoot me over a price for that Spitfire clone with a passive loop installed in it. Maybe I could afford to buy it. Maybe not. Maybe your not even selling it!
            Thanks Pete..

Comment

Well, the pics of his latest work doesn't look anything like this one. Wasn't this one of the first he built?

All I know, and I am not getting in the middle of what I see is going to be a trashfest on this dude, is that I heard clips of his amps that sounded pretty good...and the most recent ones looked nothing like this one in terms of quality.

I don't own one of his amps, so I can't give a 100% accurate judgment.

Mike
              Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

I thought the amps sounded good too. It will be interesting to hear how this one sounds. Its sloppy but it could sound great.

Comment

John - I emailed you about the spitfire a few times, thought you weren't interested anymore. We can talk about if offline - email me at [email protected]. I didn't mean for this thread to be about anything I've built.

Regarding the Fab amp - I'm letting the pictures speak for themselves. I probably won't have time until this weekend to do any clips. I'm sure that if I post anything derogatory tone-wise about the amp, I'll be dismissed as having an axe to grind.

Pete

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    having an axe to grind.Pete

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="yellow">you kidnapped Keith (Axetogrind) [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Sorry...humor relief valve broke [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] </font>

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      It will be interesting to hear how this one sounds.

[/ QUOTE ]
                      This is a clip from that very 130USD amp-
                      http://www.capecraft.com/star.mp3
                      before the stock NOS GEC tubes were removed and it went threw(sic) the US mail the last time. I doubt any new clip could be so American with some cheap import tubes...
                      The amp also had DC preamp heaters, something you don't find on too many guitar amps in any price range.

BTW the new amps look like this.

But cost a bit more than 130USD.
                      I don't find it strange at all that someone who does sell amps would want to buy and old beater to post this without any details or story line.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

Regarding the Fab amp - I'm letting the pictures speak for themselves. I probably won't have time until this weekend to do any clips. I'm sure that if I post anything derogatory tone-wise about the amp, I'll be dismissed as having an axe to grind.

Pete

[/ QUOTE ]

Pete:

I want to preface this comment. I like you, I really enjoy your clips, your videos...you really know how to play and you obviously know how to build amps. I enjoy reading your comments on various subjects.

However, to me it seems the entire tone of this post, which does not need to be spoken outright, is "look at this piece of shit....take a look at these pictures."

Frankly, I don't care if an amp is put together with electrical tape and popsicle sticks if it sounds good. This is also a very early effort on Fab's part. His new amps look pretty damn solid.

I mean, really, what is the point of this post if not to bash this guy's stuff? You are not overtly bashing the amp, but the point is crystal clear.

That is my take on it.

Mike
                        Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Well Mike, call a dog a dog and ....
                          You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            Well Mike, call a dog a dog and ....

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't want to get involved either but...So what if the old amp lools like a dog... [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img]

The new stuff looks pretty damn good.

I dodn't get the point. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              [ QUOTE ]
                              It will be interesting to hear how this one sounds.

[/ QUOTE ]
                              This is a clip from that very 130USD amp-
                              http://www.capecraft.com/star.mp3
                              before the stock NOS GEC tubes were removed and it went threw(sic) the US mail the last time. I doubt any new clip could be so American with some cheap import tubes...
                              The amp also had DC preamp heaters, something you don't find on too many guitar amps in any price range.

BTW the new amps look like this.

But cost a bit more than 130USD.
                              I don't find it strange at all that someone who does sell amps would want to buy and old beater to post this without any details or story line.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fab... the clip sounds pretty good and the pics you provided of your new amp look pretty darn good too.
                              You must have built that 1st amp that Pete has a REALLY long time ago! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X