Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Marshall JMP 100

That's kinda the way I see it as well.
    The thing that would give me the go-ahead on mods though is this amp was modded at one time, then put back to stock. See the two extra holes next to the speaker outs and the plugged hole next to V1?
    There has been some debate on other forums (HC and Plexi Palace) as to wether these holes were original or not. I highly doubt the tube hole is original. That makes it fair game for mods.
    Still, though, it sounds so good as is that I don't want to change it. I think I'll have JerryP make sure the bias is right and everything is good, and leave it at that.

Comment

yeah, I'd say it was modded. Maybe a tube buffered effects loop or an effects loop and another gain stage at one point. I agree that since it was modded prevously it wouldn't hurt to have it modded again if thats what you wanna do Either way that is a cool as hell amp...
      shawnlutz.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Output tubes are good, according to the previous owner. I think I'll call JerryP and schedule a time I can bring it to him for a check-up and make sure everything is 100%.

I honestly don't think I want it modded. It sounds terrific like it is!

[/ QUOTE ]

Chuck give me a shout whenever you'd like to bring it over. I'll give it the once over. I'm a little closer to you now, I'm in Central Square.
        Jerry
        FJA Mods YouTube

Comment

I am the total oppisite. I think if it will make it sound better mod the shit out of it. Im not a collector I want the best tone out of a piece of gear that I can get.

Comment

that is a some beautiful old Marshalls guys...

I will always love old Marshalls..

But I must say that my Marshall rack (9200/JMP-1/JFX-1) is THE best Marshall tone I ever heard..for my style of music and playin'..very heavy metal!!! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Output tubes are good, according to the previous owner. I think I'll call JerryP and schedule a time I can bring it to him for a check-up and make sure everything is 100%.

I honestly don't think I want it modded. It sounds terrific like it is!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats the stuff!! Dont mod that amp its already been through the wringer. They are killer amps stock. Some new tubes, a tech going through it, a good distotion pedal and that thing will eat most amps up.

Comment

My old 1978 JMP 50-watt master volume head sounded geat with an SD-1 in front of it too.
                Better than with theTube Screamer IMO, and I also had the Ibanez UE300 with TS-9 built in,
                but used the SD-1 in addition because preferred its drive on that amp. I'm sure it would sound fantastic modded, but if you can get the same sound with standard pedals and don't have to live without the amp for months,
                and pay big bucks for the mods, then why not just use the pedals?
                Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

I'm sure it would sound fantastic modded, but if you can get the same sound with standard pedals and don't have to live without the amp for months,
                  and pay big bucks for the mods, then why not just use the pedals?

[/ QUOTE ]

+ 1,000,000

I had a major amp epiphany last night....Had my Suhr modded Marshall, a Bogner modded Marshall and an SLO inthe same room going through a pair of Bogner 4x12's....the SLO didn't sound as crisp as the modded Marshalls, but the modded Marshalls were missing something even as killer as they sounded....

I've figured it out - a stock non - master volume amp is going to be my next stop. Even running a hot plate there's something about the immediacy (sp) in feel and tone you get with a non MV amp thats missing in a master type...I think a Mojave is in my future....

Steve E

Comment

Those are some nice JMP Marshalls man...

Bruce Franklin of Trouble kicks ass major with his..it sounds awesome!

I'm BAKED..happy 4th of July.. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Take your JMP Marshalls and put it on your front porch and do the national anthem...to the sights and sounds of fireworks!!! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Hell I'm gonna do that..!!!!!!

shit!...first I gotta learn it... [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

I need a leslie speaker and wah...to make it official....and a moo moo and and afro....and the curly guitar cable...yeahhhhhhhhhh!!!

The hell with it..I'll just crank Jimi.. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

How much does a MINT JMP 100 go for these days...I wish I had one here to play with..

remember the days where you can buy any freakin' Marshall head or Les Paul for $300...we should have bought them ALL!!

them some fine amps guys.. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Rich does Uli still use the JMPs.. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Sorry.. I'm baked! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

boy was I feelin good when I wrote that... [img]/images/graemlins/stupid.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

LOL W/ Bill!!

Steve, I think you're headed off in the wrong direction. You, like me, are a high gain guy. You, like me, have also been spending too much time at The Gear Page amongst the old farts who think a Matchless is high gain!

You are digging the modded high gain heads, so you think you need a non-MV head? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

You lost me...unless you LIKE distortion boxes, you are gonna HATE a non-MV head. Trust me on this. I'm old. I've had 'em. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

hey Chuckles...how much $$$ would it take to get into one of these amps in that condition...these look absolutely NEW in the pics!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Anywhere from $800 to maybe $1100 for a dead mint one.
                            Mine was modded at one time and that brings the value down, even though it's in amazing physical condition.

Comment

thanks Chuck...damn I should have bought and kept every one I came across...I bet we all think that now..

I may have to buy one eventually...I'm sure the prices will just go up..

JMP...have a great full bodied tone..a bit chunkier than the 800s ...well the ones I heard anyway..

great amps man!!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Yep, I think so too!
                                This thing is wide, warm, and ballsey...I love it!

Comment

Working...
                                X