Tube pulling question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tube pulling question

I know on amps with at least 4 power tubes that you can pull a pair of them out to run at lower power and volume. Can you pull tubes out of an amp that runs on only 2 or 3 power tubes to begin with and have it run sufficiently or is it not good?
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Re: Tube pulling question

normally no. I'm no amp expert by any means, I just use them [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] but tubes in most amps work in push-pull pairs.

I have 2 6550's in my 4 tube 2203 and the volume level reduction isn't that noticable if at all from going from 100 watts to 50
    shawnlutz.com

Comment

yellow jackets, or Groove Tubes makes the 928 PR, I believe Ruby had a converter as well.

You alter the plate voltage I believe when you pull a tube. I am not an amp guru either, but on a 100watt, you are pulling out one stage of the output (outer two or inner two) and it still should be rebiased.

Comment

Thanks, guys!
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

If I recall, you kinda liked the el84 route. Besides the obvious difference in tube shape and size.. convertors (and the change to el84) will change the tonal character 'slightly', not a bad thing..you are just going from push/pull A/B and converting to class A, class A amps have differing characteristics. A 50 watt marshall will tend to sound more like a vox or have character of a vox tube amp.

Comment

Working...
          X