Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need your help!!! Amp guru's please step inside!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I need your help!!! Amp guru\'s SOLUTION!!

[ QUOTE ]
    and they are very roadworthy.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Sold me there, thanks.
    [ QUOTE ]
    ...I am going to run it through several different cabinets.
    2 x 12 wired in stereo
    2 x 12 and a 1 x 12 left and right
    4 x 12 wired in stereo...

[/ QUOTE ]
    I hope you got some help moving. Carvin makes a real nice poweramp! I managed to find(super cheap) 4 x 1594B Altecs recently. Cleans were great, solid and real loud but I just can't dig in with SS poweramps, no matter what preamps or FX. I bet your T100 moves a lot of air in style with all those speakers! Rawk on [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Whelp...this is my 2 cents on all this.

I've been thinking this all along...ever since you posted this thread:

A: You've just learned that modelers don't make it live. Que the peanut gallery. Sorry, it's true. That impact and sheer presence can ONLY be accomplished by a tube head. That's the difference you heard that blew you away. Yet as the days go by, you are back to plugging in the kitchen sink to try and catch that sound. Cart/Horse.

B: You're flat runnin way too much sheet, mon! I know, you're gonna say you're playin covers and need to replicate those tones exactly. Well, no you don't. You need clean, distortion, a wah, and a phaser or flanger. All the rest of it is fluff and it's all robbing tone. You can do it with your hands. Joe Barstool does not care one iota if you nail the tones...he cannot tell the difference anyway. Neither can the chicks.

Not long ago you posted that you were sick of having a pile or so/so gear, and were gonna sell it all and get just a few choice peices. Well, you got the Boogie, and that's a mighty step in the right direction (Sorry John, but Carvin amps suck dick.) Now keep going. I think you should keep that Fender combo for your clean sounds, dump all your multi-effects and modeling crap and get a high quality wah and flanger/phaser. Then a real good amp switcher, and even a loop for your floor effects so they don't screw with the raw Boogie sound. You'd be killin. You're a hell of a player, and trust me, you don't need 3/4 of the crap you're using.

The many years I gigged full time, I used a guitar, a chord, and an amp head/cab. That's it.

*The above is my opinion, based on a couple dozen years of expirence. If you don't agree, save it. I'm talking to John.*

Comment

why don't you tell him what you really think Chuck [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I agree with most of that btw...
        shawnlutz.com

Comment

I sure am glad this has come down to a tube amps are always better than modelling amps live thread. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

He needs a delay as well...how else to you plan on copin the intro to Urgent? or welcome to the Jungle?

Comment

Well, good job Pete. See if you can make my entire post pointless and trivial with one high-handed comment.

My post was MY OPINION, for JOHN, who is as old school as me, and I am thinking I may know what he's looking for. At least I'm trying to help.

You got a problem or a differing opinion? Take it to someone who cares. I wasn't talking to you.

Comment

Chuckracer nails it IMO, except I really like my Carvin Legacy! Anyway, no one short of a touring pro with a road crew needs that many sounds live IMO (unless of course you are one of those super creative artistic types, in which case you are playing and creating right now, and not on an internet chat board), at least in a rock or metal band. I am in a cover band and I run a wah up front and a DOD FET pre in the loop for solo boost on a 2 channel head. Works for most anything IMO.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Well, good job Pete. See if you can make my entire post pointless and trivial with one high-handed comment.

My post was MY OPINION, for JOHN, who is as old school as me, and I am thinking I may know what he's looking for. At least I'm trying to help.

You got a problem or a differing opinion? Take it to someone who cares. I wasn't talking to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] showed that I was kidding. Sorry Chuck, I didn't mean to make you lash out at me. Thanks for sharing.

Pete

Comment

ya, the charvel stew has been simmering a little to long.

Comment

Your right Chuck. We do have similar taste and you are 100% correct. I should be going:
                      Mark III into either or both of my 1 x 12's or my 2 x 12's cabinets
                      Delay and chorus in the loop
                      Wah and tuner out in front.
                      DONE.....

This poses questions though... How do I get:
                      The solo sound and the intro and verse guitar sound for the song Hemhorage
                      The beginning guitar sound for Fire Woman
                      The double delay guitar sound for all the licks in Just Got Lucky by Dokken
                      The semi-distorted Matchless tone in Don't Fear the Reaper which also has a large hall reverb effect.

Chuck, are you saying that all these effects and sounds aren't really neccessary live? What do you other players think? Remember, I am in an 80's-90's cover band, not an original chugga-chugga palm mute meedly meedly band where all I need it 1 good heavy tone and 1 good clean one. How the heck do I go from the guitar tone in Master of Puppets to Don't Fear the Reaper??

Comment

I think that's the limitation inherent to the particular amp you've got. So you're down to compromise, which is basically what this entire thread has been about. The Boss GT-6, both combined, or the Mk III and a minimum of effects? All have their pro's and cons as stated. But is it really necessary to nail the exact same sound on every song? What if you find a tone you like a lot, or a couple of tones and find the best compromise between those?

...and I succeeded in adding another question to the list! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Granted Don't Fear The Reaper, Master Of Puppets, Fire Woman won't sound like the album, but I'll be damned if that Mk won't blow the crowd away and deliver some jawdropping tones of any variety!
                        You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

You use YOUR sound. It will be fine. You don't need to replicate the delay in the Dokken tunes, etc. Just play the thang!
                          You don't need to be a clone!

Pete: I am very sorry. I totally mis-read your post and thought you were serious. Please accept my apologies!

Comment

Chuck - no worries. I may end up running a tube amp again live one of these days [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

pete

Comment

FX loops piss me off. I've never really pissed with mine. I put a chorus pedal in it, and even when I clicked the loop off, it still sounded like there was chorus to me. Probably had to do something with the mix levels and shit. I didn't piss with it.

Guitar-TU2-NS2 (sometimes into loop of NS2, sometimes right after it) GE7 BF2 CE2 (or CH5, whatever I feel like digging out.) Mesa. Done. My tone isn't the best I imagine, but it's not bad.

Comment

I find with a graphic and an XPC, and or a SPC circuit by EMG, I can get alot of flexibility.

Comment

Working...
                                X