Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need your help!!! Amp guru's please step inside!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I need your help!!! Amp guru\'s SOLUTION!!

Well, John you can use that rythym channel of yours for Don't fear the Reaper. Master of Puppets' sound is right there in channel 3 then, too. Then you've got a Sultans of Swing sound in channel 1 to boot! I think you can do it all with a few pedal's, the MkIII, and a good 4x12. I run mine completely 100% dry through my Recto cabinet. I don't even own any effects pedals. I only use a boss tuner, but it's not constantly plugged in. I'll be using my MkIII completely dry in a live setting tommorow. I'll let you know know how it works out for me. Good luck!

Comment

John I think you need to look at your guitar for a lot of the versatility too...the PRS you're using has a great 5-way switching system, and don't forget the different tones you can get by manipulating the volume and tone knobs on a guitar too...it's not just in the pedals.

Comment

You guys are right of course. Sometimes I feel like I am hiding in back of a wall of effects. I guess I have been sitting in front of a recording console with a 6' high rack of effects for way too long! For next rehearsal I am bringing my Mark III, delay, chorus and bad horsie 2 pedal, my tuner and a cabinet. I'll try using all 3 channels of the Mesa. Channel 1 clean, channel 2 crunch, channel 3 heavy crunch. My Mark III has an added solo boost feature.

Comment

Well, I tried a Carvin T100 stereo tube power amp with the GT-6 and a 2 x 12 cabinet wired in stereo.
          I think it might sound great but at this point I really need a second set of ears.

Comment

yeah...and with the whole band [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I agree with having too many effects. I'd still use 2 amps and cabs, one for effects and one completely dry or just a wah or distortion pedal. The just use an A/B switch (Whirlwind). That way your primary tone that you'll use 90% of the time won't have any tone robbers in the chain [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
            shawnlutz.com

Comment

Hemhorage: not familar with.

Fire Woman: a good clean sound with your prefrence in pick up positions would be more than sufficant for this.

Just Got Lucky: you don't need no stinking effects for this! Too bad whoever produced the record didn't agree with me. The original would have sounded better with a big meaty delay/chrous free sound. So, no effects. Make it better than the original!

Don't Fear the Reaper: Live, I think things like reverb and delay on a guitar muddies up everything and really isn't providing the efeect to the listener that the player thinks it is. The reverb is unncessary IMO, and the basic type of tone you are talking about isn't rocket science! Roll you voulume down, use appropriate pickup position and use appropriate picking. Try it, it WILL work fine.

*****...these effects and sounds aren't really neccessary live?*****

Absolutly!

*****What do you other players think?*****

Do what sounds good to you and that you think is necessary.

*****How the heck do I go from the guitar tone in Master of Puppets to Don't Fear the Reaper??*****

This is an easy one! Key here is that you have to start with a good solid sound that can do a decent Mettalica. Once there, roll the volume on the guitar down, choose the appropriate pickup selection and use the appropriate picking techniqe and dynamics.

In closing, IMO, the less crap running in your rig, and the more you can control the type of tone you are getting through your playing and guitar the better you will sound, period.

Comment

To add to what Mike was just saying about reverb and delays: My theory was that the soundman should take care of that because he knows what the room needs. I don't. I can't hear the room from the stage.
                That's why I ALWAYS ran dry as a bone live. If I'm running reverb and delays in an echo-y room, it's mush.

Comment

I can count on my hand the number of times we had an actual non-member of the band running sound, and of those times, probably 75% of them were busy getting drunk or trying to get laid after soundcheck.

I walk out with my wireless, hit a few chords, and see how it sounds - then dial in or out a little more reverb with the global control on the vetta (which affects ALL of the presets) and also tweak the high and low end to taste too (global control also). If we're lucky to get a decent crowd and the floor starts filling up, then I'll dial in a pinch more reverb since those bodies are going to absorb some of it.

99% of what I use the Vetta for is to match the covers we do. No, I don't change amp emulations for each song (what a pain in the ass that would be) but I do have 5 sounds that I use frequently:

1) Fender twin and Roland Jazz Chorus crystal clean w/compression, with these options:
                  a) delay, with tapped tempo
                  b) chorus
                  c) volume boost
                  d) TS9 for different texture

2) Budda emulation just breaking up (you can hear this on the jazz clip I posted recently)
                  b) chorus
                  c) volume boost
                  d) compressor pedal to push it for solos

3) JCM800s in stereo for classic rock overdrive, with:
                  b) flanger
                  c) volume boost
                  d) TS9

4) Mesa Dual rectifiers (one is treadplate, other is the version of their original pod version, lol) in stereo
                  b) flanger
                  c) volume boost
                  d) Vetta Juice

5) Modern scoop - Bogner Uber/ENGL powerball
                  b) flanger
                  c) volume boost
                  d) Vetta Juice

Sure, I could probably get by with a two channel tube amp and pedals, but the delay would have to have a tap tempo and I'd be constantly turning the controls on the pedals - I run different settings for the TS9 in front of the clean tone than I would for the JCM800s, for example.

I use the volume boost on all patches for solos, tap in the delay time when we start the song and only use the delays for solos unless the song calls for it. Ditto with flange and chorus, but I tend to use the chorus a lot on my clean tone. I'm not a real big fan of chorused overdrive guitar - makes it sound too bubblegummy for me. I try to run the overdriven tones a little cleaner than necessary for clarity and punch live, then hit the overdrive pedal for solos if I need to - it depends on stage volume and my proximity to the cabinet.

I don't think most patrons at a bar gig are really going to hear the difference in most tones, but if it's a signature sound - like Heart's "barracuda" and you don't have the flange, or run like hell from pink floyd without the delay - they may not be able to put into words what is wrong, just that SOMETHING isn't right.

When I was doing original blues/rock stuff, I ran a Univalve with a Fulldrive II in front of it. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] My gig dictates the gear to me. If I was doing a simpler thing, I'd probably just use a 15-30 watt amp that I could crank a bit onstage, a few pedals and I'd be set.

Pete

Comment

you have to make the dicision to either go analog or digital.

the TS100 w/ gt6 works great. or w/ the pod. and so does the vetta.

the mark III on the other hand is one of the ultimate tones that no modeller can get right.

i've converted to digital. more for convenience than tone. we run reverb and delay at all times, cause we like the way it sounds for our music. allways tap out the delay at the intro to each song. and that keeps it from being muddy. and we use just enough rev/delay to make the harmonies sound sweet.

but like i said earlier, you need to sit down with your other guitarist and decide what rout yall want to take as a band. you don't have to have exact matching rigs but your 2 sounds must mix well together.
                    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

John, I recently jammed with a drummer friend in a pretty loud setting I ran my MKIII completely bone dry. It sounded incredible. All I had with me was my guitar, MkIII, and a Recto 4x12. It can be done!!

Comment

Working...
                      X