Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My dirty is severe. My clean is "for chit"!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My dirty is severe. My clean is "for chit"!

Sorry to interrupt gents. I am using a 92 soloist (card-carrying JCF'er) through a dual rec (recto cab). My CH2 and CH3 are out*freaking*standing. My cleans (CH1) are....in a word... awful.

I know I didn't buy the amp for the cleans, but now I need something decent. Mesa users and gurus: do you apply effects or employ amp-switching? I must have the best of both worlds to rule. I will make you all proud.

Rig is:
    Soloist (EMG 81-85)thru Furman to Korg tuner to BBE 481i to wireless to Dual Rec 3-CH to 4X12 Recto.

Much love brethren.

Re: My dirty is severe. My clean is \"for chit\"!

i would like to ask the same question to everyone, but my amp is a 5150. i hear theres no hope for me in the clean territory :P

Comment

I've got a triple recto, and my cleans rule.

Comment

I think the trick is to keep the gain and channel volume kinda set to about the same level. I always switch to the middle position on the pickup switch too, but I use Gibson-style guitars with two humbuckers. You could try using hte neck pickup on your Soloist.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Sorry to interrupt gents. I am using a 92 soloist (card-carrying JCF'er) through a dual rec (recto cab). My CH2 and CH3 are out*freaking*standing. My cleans (CH1) are....in a word... awful.

I know I didn't buy the amp for the cleans, but now I need something decent. Mesa users and gurus: do you apply effects or employ amp-switching? I must have the best of both worlds to rule. I will make you all proud.

Rig is:
          Soloist (EMG 81-85)thru Furman to Korg tuner to BBE 481i to wireless to Dual Rec 3-CH to 4X12 Recto.

Much love brethren.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think half your problem is the pickups you are using, they are pretty high output which is probaly forcing the preamp tubes on the clean channel to try to distort a little. Try rolling back the volume, if that doesnt work i would suggest a different pickup, that 81 is HOT.

Comment

Use your neck pickup, and see if you can adjust it down away from the strings a bit. This might help.

Pete

Comment

also try using less highs and presence. plenty of bass and moderate mids. lack of mids makes it sound thin and brittle especially on cleans.
              Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

try an eq pedal of some type in front of the amp.

Comment

Also, check the level on the BBE. It could be introducing distortion on your clean channel if the level isn't right.
                  In my experience, the Dual Rectifier has a great clean channel. Actually, all the Mesa Rectifiers have great clean channels.

Comment

don't play clean then...just shred.

well that's what I do... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
                    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Recto's are not "Twin" good but they have a pretty decent clean. It really shouldn't be taht bad sounding. You might want to bass the BBE on the clean if possible so that your cleans are a little fatter and less processed. Pete's suggestions are spot on too lower that PUP them EMG's aren't the best "Clean" pup out there
                      I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                      So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        I think the trick is to keep the gain and channel volume kinda set to about the same level.

[/ QUOTE ]
                        I'd keep the clean gain as low as possible and just raise the channel volume.
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Yeah, my cleans gain is almost non existent, but my volume is cranked. I've got a great clean.

Pete did hit the nail on the head, and I should have mentioned it.

Just run, guitar to the amp. None of that BBE shit.

Make sure your pickup height is set correctly. Too far up...you'll get a shitty sound, and distortion. If you're using magnetic pickups, and they are too high, you can also get what I would call "Magnetic distortion"...the magnets on the pole pieces pull the strings movement, and make it sound like assholes.

When I play clean, I almost ALWAYS use 2 humbuckers, or neck humbucker. My PRS has some crazy combinations, I use them too, but for the most part, neck is clean, bridge is dirty.

Comment

Wonderful advise. thank you all for taking the time. I will experiment and report back.

I have never switched away from the hum in my life. I guess I will have to "go there". The band is doing phreaking BJ Dead of Alive. I have to have the MESA whoop azz dirties for the solo! Again, thanks.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              don't play clean then...just shred. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X