Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help with my tremoverb Amp Techs Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with my tremoverb Amp Techs Help!

Well I just got my tremoverb in UPS in a trade. I wasn't overly excited to get a tremo although I don't mind them. It was more for the cash I got in the deal. Anyway it landed on friday in a roadcase but no other packing. One of the rectifier tubes was broken which really sucks but no big deal since I never run it in rectifier mode. Here is my real issue though:

I have to crank the master and gain all the way to get bedroom gain type levels. I know this might have been damaged and may need repair which I am not qualified for but I am looking for some suggestions before I go that route. I have already replaced the powertubes in it to check that but it proved fruitless. What else should I check etc.. before bringing it in?
    I keep the bible in a pool of blood
    So that none of its lies can affect me

Re: Need help with my tremoverb Amp Techs Help!

Is there anything in the FX loop?

Does the impedance of the cab match the output you're using on the head?
    ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Comment

I have tried it both ways with the effects loop and without. Same thing either time. The cab and head are at the same impedance (16 Ohm mono) I think I have to pull the preamp tubes I guess I would have though the the output would be linked to the powertubes not the pre's... Maybe the silicon diodes are messed up?

Comment

Change all the tubes.

Comment

I agree. Replace all the tubes 1st. You probably would have even if the amp wasn't messed up.

Comment

Definitely check the tubes. Man, what the hell were they smoking when they shipped the thing like that? Especially with the way the shippers handle packages.

Comment

change the tubes and read the manuel on boogies site.

you people need to start reading your manuels before you post on here asking how to use the amp. (not meaning this towards you, tutsuo, per-se.)
              Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

The power section I already swapped out because I had a good set laying around I have no pre's laying around though. I really don't want to drop any cash into this it defeats my whole purpose but I know it is inevitable. If I look at it the 6th preamp tube is an output tube and I can at least mess around with swapping them around and trouble shooting this way.

What were they smoking I don't know but all I know is that the risk you take of deals like this on the internet is that and they won't pay nor will ups so I am SOL. The thing is not strashed it is just one minor thing. Man my other tremoverb had problems too

Comment

That sucks Tetsuo. I think a lot of time people load tube amps up with the shittiest tubes they have laying around before they dump it or get rid of the amp.
                  shawnlutz.com

Comment

Honestly this wasn't the case in this one UPS just beat it up rather well and although it was in a road case one of the cheaper ones and packing should be put in the case with the head but ah well.

Comment

Its probably something minor. There is alot of wire in that amp so it might cost a little more to have a tech repair it but it's certainly worth it. My guess is either a bad preamp tube(tubes) or a cold solder joint that couldn't handle the banging around during transit.

Comment

John I am 90% the latter is the case I am venting mroeso just because I wanted to flip this amp pretty quick for no charge but ah well... I was hoping someone had a good thought on what this might be so I could cheaply fix it LOL

Comment

Check the socket tube solder joints. They are easy to locate and they are easy to repair. You can tell if a joint is cold by tapping on the preamp tube while it is on with a pencil. It can also be something as simple as spraying some contact cleaner in all of the pots. Make sure the loop jacks are clean. Try plugging your guitar directly into the effects return jack only. This will bypass the entire preamp section so you can rule that out.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            Well I just got my tremoverb in UPS in a trade. I wasn't overly excited to get a tremo although I don't mind them. It was more for the cash I got in the deal. Anyway it landed on friday in a roadcase but no other packing. One of the rectifier tubes was broken which really sucks but no big deal since I never run it in rectifier mode. Here is my real issue though:

I have to crank the master and gain all the way to get bedroom gain type levels. I know this might have been damaged and may need repair which I am not qualified for but I am looking for some suggestions before I go that route. I have already replaced the powertubes in it to check that but it proved fruitless. What else should I check etc.. before bringing it in?

[/ QUOTE ]

YOu mean bedroom gain, or bedroom volume?

Comment

Doh Bedroom volume...

I will go through all that tonight John but I do fear that it is just a wire loose somewhere which I don't feel qualified to fix... Hopefully I can lock it down to just being a single bad preamp tube LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X