Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help with my tremoverb Amp Techs Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Need help with my tremoverb Amp Techs Help!

the tremoverb is supposed to be the best sounding recto out there! thats what they say anyway.
    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      Doh Bedroom volume...

I will go through all that tonight John but I do fear that it is just a wire loose somewhere which I don't feel qualified to fix... Hopefully I can lock it down to just being a single bad preamp tube LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

Try bypassing the input section by putting a distortion pedal in the loop and see if you get better volume. Might be something is screwed in the preamp section, i have a feeling it will not be a preamp tube. I bought a tremoverb off ebay and three of the output resisters where blown and it pretty much had the same problem, would not get that loud. To replace the 3 resisters it cost me $104 at a mesa repair place. Of course i had the people pay for it since it came in that way.

I knew something was wrong because in the dark i took it off standby and only one of the tubes starting glowing alot. Then i took my bias tube socket and put it on each of the output tubes and saw three of them had no voltage on when switched from standby.

Comment

Not for nothing, but you really should have the rectifier tubes in there, even if you run it with the silicon diodes.

Comment

You can run it without the recto tubes, when you're not running it in Diode mode...I actually was told this from the people at Mesa. They say "when it's in Diode mode, no voltage passes through them" and you can leave them out. I've got a full set of tubes for mine in it, and spare, so mine are in...that and I use the tubes :P

Tetsuo...it sounds like a problem, only I can fix. Send me the amp, and I'll keep it...forever.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            You can run it without the recto tubes...

[/ QUOTE ]
            +1 and the amp will run a bit cooler not having to put out the VA for the heaters of the rectifiers.

There are a few things that could cause the volume to be low, tubes are always the first thing to look at when there is a problem in a tube amp. Maybe the sender should be paying your repair bill if the problem was caused by packing. Double check your speaker connects, sounds too simple but ya never know. After that maybe check the bias. Is the tone clean but just low in volume?

Comment

I have tried the Bias switch both ways with EL34 and 6l6's. I need to pick up some contact cleaner and check all of the contacts out..

Should the sender pay for teh repair bill? YEs but I still haven't got a response to my email or phone call so it is not likely I will realistically see that money but yes he should be responsible.
              I keep the bible in a pool of blood
              So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

Well if it was an EBay deal maybe give the seller a bad review. If you had more experience I would say look inside for loose/broken parts. Mesa uses PCBs, look for a crack in the board...though it's pretty hard to trouble shoot over a keyboard. After tubes, cords and fuses there is not really too much the average player can do, unless he is ready to learn some tech stuff and buy some test equipment. If it was in the shop after a visual inspection and testing the tubes I would check all the voltages and then run a signal threw to check for correct signal gain on each stage. Sorry there is really no easy way unless it is an easy problem. Best of luck.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Well if it was an EBay deal maybe give the seller a bad review. If you had more experience I would say look inside for loose/broken parts. Mesa uses PCBs, look for a crack in the board...though it's pretty hard to trouble shoot over a keyboard. After tubes, cords and fuses there is not really too much the average player can do, unless he is ready to learn some tech stuff and buy some test equipment. If it was in the shop after a visual inspection and testing the tubes I would check all the voltages and then run a signal threw to check for correct signal gain on each stage. Sorry there is really no easy way unless it is an easy problem. Best of luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mesa usually uses one really thick PCB board for the main part, everything else is still hand wired, this is true with most amp makers these days, bogner does the same thing. I doubt highly there is a board crack, but never hurts to look!

Comment

My guess is a bad solder joint on one of the tube sockets.

Comment

Bypassing the preamp section going straight into the loop did give me more volume but for sure not as much as I should have... Off to the amp tech it is (he is the guy who taught Mark @ Victoria how to build amps) He is a good tech just hate dropping the cash.

No it was an HC deal not an Ebay deal
                      I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                      So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

Working...
                      X