Took a THD home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Took a THD home

My Laney head has given me a lot of drama over the past few months, so I decided to semi-retire it. I found a THD UniValve in a music store about two hours away, tested it and brought it home.

I spent some time trying different pre-amp tubes in it and took it to practice last night. It might be only 15 watts, but it has more than enough muscle. I had the volume knob at about 2 o'clock and could definitely hear myself. Before the rest of the band showed up, I did dime it...wow, was that fun! Great tone, loud but not crushing.

It has a serious crunch, more sustain than my Laney by a long shot and a very musical tone. It also responds really well to the guitar's volume knob. I can't wait 'till the next gig!

I'll post more about it after I get a few gigs and a bunch of rehearsals under its belt.

Re: Took a THD home

Cool. How heavy is the gain structure? Can it do Slayer-type gain without a pedal in front? I saw one of those at GC not too long ago but didn't try it out.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      Cool. How heavy is the gain structure? Can it do Slayer-type gain without a pedal in front? I saw one of those at GC not too long ago but didn't try it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it would need a pedal to push it into death metal territory. But I was able to dial in some early Metallica sounds pretty well without any help from pedals...it has a nice chug-chug-chug when I palm-mute. I played a few riffs from "The Four Horseman" and it sounded pretty damn cool.

By itself, a UniValve isn't going to sound like a Bogner Uberschall. In fact, it doesn't even have a mid control from you to scoop! But it will get some classic thrash and NWOBHM tones just right.

Comment

I told ya! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

Nice. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            I told ya! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Pete

[/ QUOTE ]

You were right! I'm sure I'll be able to dial it in even better as I get to know it better. After our first song at practice, the other guitarist said "Wow! That thing is a little beast!"

Comment

I have had mine for a little over a year and still love playing with the thing. I push the front of mine with a DOD YJM or my Zakk OD. The Univalve is a great little amp.
              Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                You were right! I'm sure I'll be able to dial it in even better as I get to know it better. After our first song at practice, the other guitarist said "Wow! That thing is a little beast!"

[/ QUOTE ]
                It was *vicious* little beast, actually. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

I ordered a THD Flexi-50 last week and it's arriving later today. I hope to like it as much as you do (bought it without playing thru any THD model before).
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

Working...
                  X