Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MP1 Advice Needed

Fellow Gainiacs:

My search for an 80’s-era EVH meets Zakk Wylde sound at any volume level continues. I want a huge, open, hot-rodded Marshall tone, with lots of touch sensitivity and harmonics. Based on my recent bout of reading at adadepot.com, I think I might have found my holy grail - an ADA MP1.

I currently use a Pod XT Live, which sounds great through my computer speakers, OK through my powered PA speaker (JBL Eon G2), and not so great through my amp/bottom (Marshall Valvestate power amp/Marshall 1960A 4x12). (I got the Metal Pack, but I actually like the “Spinal Puppet” setting better than anything in the Metal Pack.)

When Mesa came out with the Stiletto, I thought that would be perfect for me with the built-in Variac control and all (and maybe it would – I still haven’t heard one), but from what I’ve read, it’s pretty low gain.

Sooooo, I am now thinking of getting a modded ADA MP1. What do you guys think? I liked the “Gets Me Through” clip here http://www.adadepot.com/cool_things/...ips/main.htm#g

It appears that there are many ways to get an MP1:

Stock
    Mod 4 Mark II
    Mod 3TM
    Mod 3.666
    Voodoo Mod
    MP1 Classic

Does anyone know which will get me the sound I’m looking for? I gather that the Mod 3TM and the Voodoo Mod offer the most heaviosity. Is that true, and any preference between the two?

P.S. I know, I should probably ask this at the MP1 forum. I did just join there, and I have been asking some questions, but it’s a bit in-depth for me at this point, so I thought I’d ask the JCF first, hoping for a basic answer (if there is one).

Re: MP1 Advice Needed

A standard MP1 will get you pretty close to the sound you desire, even at low volumes. Closer to the EVH sound than the Zakk Wylde sound. The standard MP1 might not have enough saturation type distortion for the Zakk sound.

I used an MP1 for years and loved it. I found that to really make it sing, I put a regular old green Ibanez Tube Screamer in front of it. Set the MP1 as close as you can get to the desired sound, then kick in the tube screamer. Not enough to make it muddy, just enough to make the sound "sparkle". This will probably be about "12 o'clock" on all all three knobs, drive, level, and tone.

I use a tube sceamer now in front of my POD. It even sounds decent live through a Marshall 8004 power amp and a 2x10 cabinet. You might want to try this before spending the money on a modded MP1.

Good luck [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

I can't wait either to hear that Stiletto ... on HC there is some big time marketing bullshit though

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        I can't wait either to hear that Stiletto ... on HC there is some big time marketing bullshit though

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a stiletto, think marshall JCM800 modded. Will give you that EVH tone but not the zakk. I would say go with a ada mp1 for versitility.

Comment

Working...
        X