best rack preamps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best rack preamps?

Peavey Rockmaster. A sleeper piece of gear if I ever saw one.
    Jerry
    FJA Mods YouTube

Comment

any love for the Rocktron Prophesy ?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        [ QUOTE ]

The Rocktron Voodu Valve (US Version not korean) or the PSA-1 Sansamp as a sub 350 dollar solution is a nice solution as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got a Voodu Valve a while back and am pretty pleased with it. The Voodu has reverb, chorus, and delay whcih are the only things I use anyhow.

And the Voodu's got gain out the ying yang! So much so that I had to swap out the preamp tube it came with (an AX-7), with a lower gain tube so the low gain setting could be used for clean tones.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think they come with a GE/JAN 5751 tube in stock form which is a low gain 12ax7 type of tube. YEs, the AX7 will really go too far in gain in that preamp for sure and be fairly un-usable.

Comment

5751s are a great first tube if you have a tube amp with more gain than you can use (like a 5150) - it fattens up the tone and is lower noise. You do lose some gain, but the tone payoffs can be worth it.

Pete

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            The ADA MP1 is a classic and I find myself going back to it every time I buy a new pre. I've played CAE, Soldano, Mesa Triaxis, JMP1, Bogner Fish, Hafler/Bogner Triple Giant, and even the MP2 but the MP1 just works for me. The catch to it for me is using it in conjunction with a BBE Sonic Maximizer. This unit really breathes some life into the MP1. All of the other units I mentioned sound good (Soldano/Caswell X99 was awesome but I couldn't find one when I would have been in the market), in fact I still frequently use the Triple Giant, but the flexability and feel of the ADA keep it in my rack. I hope this helps.

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy $hit!!!..Bill, is that you?????? You better get to posting pics of that LTD !!!!!

-Kenn

Comment

I used an ADA MP1 for years. It sounded great and still does. I haven't really checked out any of the newer preamps because I ditched the rack rig quite a few years ago. The Boogie triaxis was pretty cool, as was (of course) the Soldano SP77. There are probably a few others I can't remember. I would use whatever sounds cool.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                "I, on the other hand, would not give Bills dick for one..."

oh man! John you just walked into this one... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

so , yer sayin' ..you'd rather have my dick... [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I knew you loved me.. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I'd get more money selling your dick to an Oddity Museum than selling a JMP-1 on ebay, so yes, I guess I would.

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

yeah you can put The Dark Marsupial in a pickle jar...and charge admission...

hell I might do that....oh waite , I still use it...maybe when I get old or somethin'...that'll be a nice little retirement nestegg... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

where's the voodu valve by Rocktron located in all the preamps ... like ahead of the jmp-1 ? equal ?

Comment

it's a matter of preference really , John likes the vooddo valve better..

and I like the JMP-1 better..

listen to both thru decent poweramps and you be the judge..
                          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

as far as the lee jackson, i have one, and it has an awful lot of gain when using a guitar loaded with a j50bc and a je-1000, i dont turn the preamp vol up past 2 and thats more than enough for shredding, gain is not a problem, but as far as tone in a proper setup, i'm not sure as i'm running it through my combo still, i need to get a cab to go with my poweramp, etc. But the gain is there.

Comment

I have an MP-1 and I love it, and for the price, I'd be surprised if you could get anything even close to it.

I didn't like the sound from the JMP-1 I borrowed, and while I might like a Tri-axis, VHT, Bogner, CAE or whatever a little bit more, I'm happy with what I have and would rather spend the money on more guitars!

Also, I HATE, programming these things, getting the mapping sorted with the Quadraverb and the controller etc.....arrrgghhhh [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                              Popular is not the same as good
                              Rare is not the same as valuable
                              Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

ooh, just remembered as well, there was a few different circuits for the lee jackson 4 in total i believe, you might wanna check the s/n on one if you think about buying it, the ones ending in 88 onwards sound better and are based on a modded marshall circuit, or so i'm told, and the 87 and before are based on a modded fender circuit, i have the 87, and it sounds like a marshall to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X