Amp problem...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp problem...

Got an issue. Flip a tube amp on, and it makes low end-ish popping noises without any specific pattern. When you flip it onto standby the popping noises get more frequent as it fades out. This problem happens on both channels. Not sure of the age on the tubes. Some other folks said it was a bad preamp tube and recommended a full retube. I changed all of the cables and even played it through a different cab, still did the same thing. Anyone?

Re: Amp problem...

Tubes. Change all of them if you can afford it (since it seems you're unsure of the age of them) or start with preamp, then power amp.

Comment

I'd agree with Denab... Tubes are the likely culprit.

Quick and cheap, if you "have" maybe one known good preamp tube, you could start swapping it around in different preamp sockets and see if it alters the situation.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        I'd agree with Denab... Tubes are the likely culprit.

Quick and cheap, if you "have" maybe one known good preamp tube, you could start swapping it around in different preamp sockets and see if it alters the situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay. I'm going to call around to some of my friends and see if they have any extra tubes lying around.

Thanks again for the responses.

Comment

Working...
        X