Marshall Amp Rate-a-thon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall Amp Rate-a-thon

Of the recent Marshall amps, I'd like your opinions. What type of gain can you get from them, would you own it if you got a killer deal on it, etc.

MG100
    Valvestate100
    AVT50
    DSL 50
    JCM900
    TSL60
    Mode Four

I like my JCM800 and AVT50 (for what it cost) but I think there are a lot of opinions out there. Seems like the Valvestate100 has some people that like it for the money, and the JCM900 has some followers in metal circles, the MG series is ok for puck or clean maybe? I don't know much about the others. Guys?
    When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Re: Marshall Amp Rate-a-thon

mg100: never played one, but i heared a local band sound okay with one. does't really stand up against a tube amp, but if the other guitar player also plays ss or hybrid it's an ok amp. wouldn't buy one.
    valvestate 100: don't like it at ALL. same as the mg regarding the ss tube thing, but sounds worse imo.
    avt50: similar to the mg100 imho
    dsl50:quite a nice amp imo...doesn't do the oversaturated bottom endy stuff very well, but for hard rock to speed metal it's definitely usable. if i got a killer deal i'd get one
    jcm900: never played one
    tsl60: same as the dsl imho
    mode four: never played one. supposed to be marshalls "Nu metal" amp

Comment

I like the JCM900 out of that bunch. There are good ones and bad ones.
      I also think the TSL60 and DSL50 are both good amps. They sound like Marshalls, they are loud and both have lots of features. Reliability may be an issue but I think that issue is common because of the sheer volume of them out there and the fact that most owners don't know sqaut about tube amps.

Comment

DSLs and TSLs are putrid ..IMO

800s are great!!!!!

900s ...that was the beginning of the end...but are OK..you can work with 'em

JMPs are awesome..!!!!

Mode four..is NOT a Marshall..it is opposite of what Marshall always was ...they are fuzzy , mushy , dead sounding poop..not articulate for palm muting and speed picking...doesn't have that "marshall" definition"..

For METAL the BEST sound of any "STOCK" Marshall right out of the box is the Marsahl Rack 9200 (w 5881s) / JMP-1 / JFX -1 ..HANDS DOWN..No stomps , EQs...nuthin...

8200 Valvestate sound kinda like a cheezier JMP-1 ..kinda similar in feel and tone...until you crank 'em...then they get nasty.

"The Rack" gives you that 8200 "tone" at very high volumes levels with much more girth!

BTW 9200 w EL34s sound nothing like the 5881 version....and that's a good thing!
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          For METAL the BEST sound of any "STOCK" Marshall right out of the box is the Marsahl Rack 9200 (w 5881s) / JMP-1 / JFX -1 ..HANDS DOWN..No stomps , EQs...nuthin...

[/ QUOTE ]

In your opinion... hehe...

Comment

TSL60 or the MG100 would be my first considerations out of the lot with the JCM900 playing a close 2nd.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In your opinion... hehe...

[/ QUOTE ]

I kinda agree with horns there, i have had the DSL's, TSL's and the 900 dual reverb and the SLX. My suggestion would be go with either a marshall SLX or the rack system! The TSL's can sound ok and same with the DSL's, but they both have major reliability issues. And personaly solid state to me is good for home practice only unless syou can afford several stacks of them so you dont have to push the volume.

Comment

John says that...but it was his opinion too...he discovered that set up and when he heard it ...well he went gonzo for it...COMPARED to ALL the heads we had...how soon he forgets that..

I didn't forget..I traded TWO MINT jcm 800 for this...and a 1985 Hustler mag with Tracy Lords in it...that's how much I had to have it! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

For Metal...I'd put my Marshall rig up against ANY stock Marshall head...any of 'em..

I'd race for pinks..and get me some nice head [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Hey Bill, My Mesa Mark III would stomp your puny 9200/JMP rack system into the ground.... Marshall style. I'd race you for pinks no problem but I would rather have that Tracy Lords Hustler mag. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

No sir , I disagree.....those are some damn fine amps...but I owned one...then sold it because It "didn't" stomp my ass hard enough , it was cool but I wanted more...these did...and still do..well I still own them...I keep what kicks my ass...like my wife.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

and I wish I still had that Tracy Lords Hustler.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Me too bro. My wife still kicks my ass and thats a good thing.

Comment

"Me too bro. My wife still kicks my ass and thats a good thing."

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

well she doesn't hurt me that badly...as long as she makes up for it later...by training on my speed bag.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

None of the above!

Comment

"None of the above!"

oh yeah ..we have to pick from those coices you've listed...then I'm with Chuck none of the above..

if I had to choose from those...I guess I'd go with the 900...but I need a stomp in the front...because the gain is not even close to where I need to be..

Comment

Working...
                              X