Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VHT Power Amp Question

Hey all,

I'm literally 3 weeks away from buying a power amp, and from dudes on the board and others recommendations, I'm gonna either pick up the 2/90/2 or the 2/50/2. Question is, how do they differ tonally? I know the 90 has the KT88's and the 50 comes with EL34's. I'm gonna run my POD XT Live straight to this through a Randall 2x12 cab loaded with Vintage 30's (just in case it matters at the time). I doubt I'll need the 90 watts which is making me lean towards the 2/50/2, but I've never had a seperate power amp (or a real good amp for that matter), so don't know how those 2 different tubes will effect tone. Thanks for any help.

- Irfaan -
    [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Re: VHT Power Amp Question

They are very different IMO. KT88s are the way to go IMO. Tons of top and bottom end, tons of headroom, with a somewhat flat response throughout the guitar freq range. The don't breakup and saturate easily, and stay solid. When they do saturate, they have a great growl that is outstanding.

IMO, EL34s are more easily saturated and breakup quicker, lose definition at volume, fart out, have a midrange honk etc.

For metal, I like the KT88s. Once you dial in your sound, they are easier to keep in the G-spot as they are more consistant in regards to keeping your sound under different volume level changes.

EL34s, can get a great sound saturated, but change characteristics a lot in regards to volume levels, so you may dial in a great sound, but may lose your G-Spot if you raise or lower your volume level in different halls you play in. That bugs me.

I used to use EL34 power amps, and that drove me nuts, I'd get a great sound dialed in, but when I had to raise it or lower it a bit in different venues, I'd often lose that sound. Lower, and it would lose the aggressive snarl, and higher, it would start losing definition and get loose.

Just my opinion. But, I'd get the KT88 amp in a heartbeat.

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/stupid.gif[/img]
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

KT88's without a question but I am right there with John and Bill I hate EL34's but that is just us some people love them.
        I keep the bible in a pool of blood
        So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

I'm sure there are other views, but IMO, EL34s are cool if:

A: You don't play loud enough to get power tube distortion, so that issue doesn't come into play.

B: You base your sound around power tube saturation, have the ability to have a loud stage volume, and keep it at that level exactly every time you play. Or, you use a Palmer Box or Hot plate where you can get your amp output at the level you want exactly all the time.

I just found that I'd get a bitchin sound from the EL34s at one particular level, any less and any more, it would change to where I wasn't pleased. I'd run into troubles in the clubs where I had to change volumes to suit the place or soundman.

I found happiness in the KT88s. The added a nice tube vibe, and stayed constant in their reproduction of my tone regardless off where I was at volumewise. Hard to get them to distort and color the tone.

Comment

I think with the 2x90 version you can also use 6550s. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

I know its not a cool boutique piece, but if you are looking to amplify your PODXT Live, get a Crate Powerblock. It's plenty loud, transparent, and WWWAAAAYYYY cheaper. I used to have a Mesa 20/20 and the crate blows it away in that type of application.

Reliability is a factor of course but at $180, you can't go wrong.

Comment

Wow, thanks for the info guys. Cleveland, I think ya sold me on the KT88's. Gonna run with the 2/90.

Khabibissell, I heard about the Crate Powerblock, but the VHT is a poweramp that'll last me for a good long time, and when I'm ready to throw down for an ENGL 570 later on, that VHT is gonna come in handy. Hell, any more opinions or suggestions would be cool. Always glad to hear from all sides

Comment

Yeah, I suppose that if you are planning to go to a full on rack system down the road, I agree that you would probably want to go with something else. I can't imagine amplifying an ENGL 570 or Triaxis with a SS Crate. [img]/images/graemlins/sick.gif[/img] Believe me, I was surprised how good the Crate sounds when amplifying my POD XT Live. I bought it on the spur of the moment knowing I could return it if I didn't like it. Well, it's a keeper in the role I'm using it in.

Comment

Very cool. Thanks for the suggestion though [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]. Might actually pick one up anyway for BS practice sessions and all if it's really good (I've heard from many, so can't go wrong there) and haul out the VHT for gigs

Comment

What about looking for a 2150 used instead of the 2/90/2? Just a thought
                      I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                      So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

2150 is amazing. I'd really recommend it, especially if you don't run a lot of effects and you can afford to have a big Poweramp in your rig.

I wouldn't settle for anything less than the 2902. Just because I think the 2150 and the 2902 are both excellent power amps.

Comment

I actually saw the 2150, but the size of it turned me away. I'm more familiar with the other 2 mentioned, but I'll look into the 2150 if it's worth it. I figure I'd go with the 290 just because of the tubes/power and size

Comment

Hey Irfan, are you picking one up new or buying from ebay? Can you PM me the details and price if you don't mind? I am looking into one of those as well. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Got a PM dude

Comment

Working...
                              X