Amp shootout.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp shootout.

So i have to bring the green monster (dual Rec Rack) to get fixed. Remember my post where i said i played it for five minutes and it sounded great. well that night i noticed that the channel LED's kept flipping back and forth, i just thought i had a crappy cable between the pedal and the amp and i was getting noise. Anyway to make things short i get back from my little NY vacation, all ready to play, turn it on and neither channel light comes on. Then i plug in my chord and no sound. To make things short i can hear the tubes humming, but it is like something is fucked up in the input stage. Anyway i email the guy i bought it from and told him it came in broken so he is gonna pay for the repair. I just told him it didnt work from the beginning, it was easier that way, obvious there was something wrong with it. Oh and yes i tried changing preamp tubes, nothing fixed it. So anyway today i bring it to Pro Tech in MD to get fixed and that is right next to Washington Music (chucks). This is where i played that charvel star, see my review under american charvels.

Anyway while iam there i decided to try out amps that i normaly cant because Craptar center does not carry them. So there i try out a Bogner Uber, Bogner Ectasy EL34 version and a Hughes and Ketner Tri-amp. So here is my reviews of the 3 amps. All three were played through the same cab, a bogner, the guy said it was V30's, but i have a feeling it was mixed or something, sounded like it had 75's as well. I am pretty sure it was a slant cab, which according to Bogners website that is either greenbacks or v30's and only the uber straight cab is mixed, so maybe it was a straight.

Uber- Great distortion, sucky clean, very limited to basically one sound, but it does that one sound well! However i think it had too much bottom end for me (did i just say that).

Ecstasy- Holy fucking shit, now i know why people rave about these amps, great heavy distortion, i liked it better then the uber! But the plexi mode was also to die for, hell i never even tried out clean, i was in love with the other two channels. I didnt even get to play with all the little switches, shit i didnt know what half of them were for! I can only imagine what this amp sounds like with the 6L6's.

Tri-amp- To me this is the most under rated amp out there! Great distortion, the heavy in my opinion blew away both the bogners. The distortion on Channel 1B was great plexi type, not as good as the bogner, but it was good enough. The distortion on both channel 2's was great and so was channel 3A, however Channel 3B just fucking rocked.

To sum it up, if i had to choose it would be a tough toss up between the Bogner Ecstacy and the Tri-amp. The tri-amp is more versitile with channels and being able to switch between all six, however the bogners plexi was to die for, and the heavy distortion was not as good as the tri-amps, but if you didnt have the two to compare you would be in tonal heaven.

Re: Amp shootout.

Sounds like a fun afternoon [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] If it was a Ubercab it would have 75's and V30's in an X pattern. My Bogner cab is a slant and it just has V30's.

The Ecstasy is a great amp tho [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] The Cab is a nice match. Bogner cabs are one of the better cabs out there to my ears as well.
    shawnlutz.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      Sounds like a fun afternoon [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] If it was a Ubercab it would have 75's and V30's in an X pattern. My Bogner cab is a slant and it just has V30's.

The Ecstasy is a great amp tho [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] The Cab is a nice match. Bogner cabs are one of the better cabs out there to my ears as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah to me it sounded like it had 75's. I did have a great day.

Comment

That would be a great day for me. Checkin' out smokin' amps. When I was out shopping for amps I checked out an Ecstasy. It was pretty killer and the clean was okay. Lots of switches too. I ended up with an SLO 100. Smokin' gain & smokin' clean! But I still want an Ecstasy as well. I have multiple guitars so why not many amps as well? I always seem to have a lot of guitars and couple amps. Maybe it's time to get more amps! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          That would be a great day for me. Checkin' out smokin' amps. When I was out shopping for amps I checked out an Ecstasy. It was pretty killer and the clean was okay. Lots of switches too. I ended up with an SLO 100. Smokin' gain & smokin' clean! But I still want an Ecstasy as well. I have multiple guitars so why not many amps as well? I always seem to have a lot of guitars and couple amps. Maybe it's time to get more amps! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you there! Time to get rid of some mesa's and get more of a mix.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That was my logic too [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I had one 2203 and one 1960 cab last year. I ended the year with an Ecstasy 101B, VHT Pitbull 50 CL+EQ+REV, Mesa/Boogie DC5 and 3 more 4x12's and one 1x12 [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I want OD-100 or the SLO next [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
            shawnlutz.com

Comment

John and I dodn't care for the Tri amp...

it wasn't my cup O tea I suppose..

Our friends in a local band here has two players one with a Ecstacy ...which sounds EXACTLY like "flick of the switch" Ac/DC tone...very full bodies and nice..

and the other player prefers his DSL over the Tri Amp (well he did) ...he was selling it for $1100...I wasn't interested in it in the slightest...that is all I remebered..I must admit the DSL did blend in better with his partner's Bogner..that suprised me a bit..I don't like DSLs...not even a little bit.

the Uber does have one great tone...but that is all I play...I don't play anything remotely.."pretty"..so it works great for me...I just wish it didn't have EL34s in it...but I got it sounding BETTER at higher levels now..so that's cool..

very cool review Siggs [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]...I can see players digging the Tri amp and 101B because they are more versatile than the Uber..

The uber is cool if all you need it ONE killer tone...a heavy one at that...I don't have to tell you...I have the bass and gain on my Uber maxed at all times....it's insane...very throaty...the damn thing growls like nothing else..!!! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I just palyed mine a little bit with my boy...I like!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                I have multiple guitars so why not many amps as well? I always seem to have a lot of guitars and couple amps. Maybe it's time to get more amps!

[/ QUOTE ]
                Agreed. The amp is an instrument in and of itself. It's just as important as what guitar you pick up. It's all about different sounds.

Comment

"It's all about different sounds."

for some players yes...but for some...ahhh..not really..
                  [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

XTC's kick ass! Which model was it, the Classic or the 101B? (Classic would have had a mirrored face plate, 101B has a black face plate)

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      "It's all about different sounds."

for some players yes...but for some...ahhh..not really..
                      [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dont worry horns, you will some day grow up, maybe when you are 60 or 70 and want to play rock and want a more versitile amp [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] As to the uber, it did sound great for that super heavy shit, and if i was in a all out metal band i would probaly want that or stay with my mesa Rec (yes i know how you feel about rec's)

That Bogner does the ACDC tone so well, i was shocked as hell, the whole amp just sounded fucking great! I thought the triamp had a better heavy distortion, but only because i am more into the high gain with not as much bottom end, so probaly why i liked it over the uber. The heavy on the ectasy was great too and if i had my choice out o fthe 3 i would probaly buy the ecstasy in a minute.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        XTC's kick ass! Which model was it, the Classic or the 101B? (Classic would have had a mirrored face plate, 101B has a black face plate)

[/ QUOTE ]

It was the 101B, had basketweave grill with black face.

Comment

I wanted a 101B for the longest time, and when I had my SLO, was always thinking about swapping it for the Bogner.

When I bought my SLO, I spent some time at the store playing it and the 101B. I bought the SLO, but always wondered...
                          Then I met a dude local to me who had one, so we met at my bands rehearsal room (where I spent a LOT of time, and I knew the room sound well) We A/B'd it against my SLO at gigging volumes using my guitars, cabs, cables, etc.

The SLO won. Even the Bogner owner thought so!

The moral of my story, is this: If you dug the Bog, you need to play an SLO!
                          Here's a warning, though: It needs to be played LOUD! Most folks who try them at music stores play them at music store volume, then complain that is thin and brittle. Yup. It's not a low volume amp.
                          Turn that sucker up to about half on the master, and prepare to learn!

Comment

Grow up and be a versitile player??...ahhh probably not...I'm just a one tarck minded , metal hack...one sound is all I need...as long as it kick ass...and for the heavy crap I like to play...I think the Uber is the one that fits my needs best ...so far..

but if I did play clean or and clasic rock besides metal..the the Ecstacy would be a no brainer..I'd suppose..

I think The Ecstacy is what a Marshall should sound like ..

and a Uber is what a Recto should really sound like.. IMO ..

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              I wanted a 101B for the longest time, and when I had my SLO, was always thinking about swapping it for the Bogner.

When I bought my SLO, I spent some time at the store playing it and the 101B. I bought the SLO, but always wondered...
                              Then I met a dude local to me who had one, so we met at my bands rehearsal room (where I spent a LOT of time, and I knew the room sound well) We A/B'd it against my SLO at gigging volumes using my guitars, cabs, cables, etc.

The SLO won. Even the Bogner owner thought so!

The moral of my story, is this: If you dug the Bog, you need to play an SLO!
                              Here's a warning, though: It needs to be played LOUD! Most folks who try them at music stores play them at music store volume, then complain that is thin and brittle. Yup. It's not a low volume amp.
                              Turn that sucker up to about half on the master, and prepare to learn!

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess it's matter of personal taste, I've had an SLO, with all the mods, Now, I've got an SLO Clone, and I have an XTC, and For me, the Bogner wins hands down every time. I've had them cranked, up, through quite a few different cabs an I think the SLO is a damn fine amp, but I really prefer the XTC, it's one of my all time favorite amps.

Comment

Working...
                              X