Speakers for Flextone 2 Head?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speakers for Flextone 2 Head?

If you wre loading a 2X12 Cab, what speakers would go well with a Flextone 2 Head?

Also, same question for a 4X12?
    When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Re: Speakers for Flextone 2 Head?

Eminence Legend V12
    Celestion Vintage 30's

Comment

i talked to the guy at tech 21 and he told me that modeling amps should be paired up with a speaker with a neutral/flat as possible response curve so the sound of the speaker does not affect the amp too much.

he also said that speakers made for guitar amps have a large mid range hump and the tech 21 speakers have a flatter curve.

i did try a tech 21 2x12 cab with the stock speakers and it did sound pretty good with a hd 147.

Comment

i'd get a line 6 cab.
        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

basically the line 6 cabs are just like data said, a flat speaker, almost like a pa speaker which can handle many frequencies. So basically if you want to be able to use the cab modler part of your flextone head i would suggest a line 6 cab. However you can bypass the cab mod part if you just prefer to use a certain speaker, like a vintage 30 etc...

Comment

A flat response speaker is what you want if you are going to use the cabinet modeling. Usually, Flextone 2 HD users turn the cabinet modeling off when they play. That is why my choice is either the Eminence Legend V12 or the Celestion Vintage 30. My Flextone HD sounded the best through a Marshall 1960a cabinet loaded with Vintage 30's.

Comment

I thought V30s were bottom heavy, and greenbacks would color it too?

I was thinking the CelestionG12M70/75/80/90 would be fairly flat, do you guys think they are middy?

Thanks for the replies.
              When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

The Vox Valvetronix, as well as Hughes and Ketner's Zen Terra series use the Celestion Century Neodymium speaker. I use the same speaker with my low watt tube amp. It sounds like a Celestion 80, but gets the tone at low volumes with a little more punch.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

I was thinking the CelestionG12M70/75/80/90 would be fairly flat, do you guys think they are middy?

Thanks for the replies.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you turn off the speaker cabinet emulation you can use any speaker you want, however if you want to use the emulation then like i said go with the flextone cabinets is your best bet.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the replies.

[/ QUOTE ]

were you running the Flextone with the cabinet modeling on?

Comment

I am picking it up in the morning. I currently have the Rivera 4X12 Cab and a Randall 2X12 with G12-50s.

I didn't plan on using the cabinet modeling, but I didn't know if you should still try and use a flat speaker, then the question is which ones are flat - I assumed V30s and greenbacks were 'bassy', but I've never owned either.

Comment

Line 6 combos are now equipped with Celestions, but I'm not sure what the heck they really are. Eminence V12's seem to be very popular though - kinda like Celestion Vtg 30's but about half the price. I've had good luck with anything I've played a Flextone HD through however.

Comment

Working...
                        X