Genz Benz El Diablo 100 Head.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genz Benz El Diablo 100 Head.

I had the opportunity to play through a Genz Benz El Diablo 100 with a Marshall Cab and the thing F***in Rocks! I want one, it will definately be my next amp. Sounds like a souped up 5150 but has great clean channel too. plus the blue lights just look super cool. They go for about $900 on the bay but i think they are worth it. Everyone go try them out and post up what you think.
    This space for rent

Re: Genz Benz El Diablo 100 Head.

I got one and blew it up. It actually blew up as soon as I turned it on. Bad tranny. They offered to replace it but I declined and got my cash.

The original ones seemed to have this problem according to the factory so make sure you get one that has had either the problems fixed or one that is newer than a year- year and a half old.

Good luck!

Comment

I think for the $900 used catagory, there are much better choices, but...your ears!

Comment

i like the thicker sound of the 5150 more. genz benz sounds real gritty for some reason and not real defined.

chris

Comment

You could buy a Soldano Hot Rod, a nice old Marshall, two channel Recto, a 5150II, Laney, Rivera...man, the list is long of the amps I'd consider over the Diablo.

Comment

Well said chuckles.

Comment

I enjoy my Diablo.

I also like the other amps mentioned by Chuckracer as well.

So go figure...

I will say this, tweak the knobs the way you would an amp with "passive" eq or tone controls, and it WILL sound like ASS.

Spend some time, give the controls a "light" touch.. the "tube contour" knob is THE control for character.

Goes from "American" to "Brit", with subtle variations along the way.

Take this amp down to 50W, hook up a THD hotplate at -8db, keep the master above "7", Gain at around "6" in "classic" mode...

Result: an angry, spitting, nasty RAWK BOX

Carefull use of the mid control is vital.

I kinda find it bizzare that a fan of a Hot-Rodded JCM or the SLO, or even the 5150 would not like this amp.

To me, this is a great Classic/Hard-Rock - Early Metal tone machine.

Everyones ears are different, and there's ALOT of mixed opinion on this thing.

I'll have to put up some clips to see where other peoples "ears" are comming from.

Comment

I've been intrigued with this amp for quite a while now.
                Have not have the chance to see, touch or play one in person and with SO many reviews it is kinda hard.

I've read music rag reviews and read many many user reviews on the net that I honestly don't know who to believe.
                I cannot recall and amplifier with so many totally opposite opinions and write ups.
                Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

To be straight up, I didn't spend a whole lot of time with the one I tried, and it was at "music store" volumes.
                  I was aware of the active controls and how to approach the amp, but in the ten minutes I gave it, I got nothing that made me want to keep searching.

YMMV!

Comment

Working...
                  X