best overdrive pedal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best overdrive pedal?

im not looking for an overdrive per the overdrive per say, (i sound insane dont i), but more for the boost of volume. I play in a two guitar band and when we play at school we are not miked up. So i need a pedal that would SIGNIFICANTLY boost the volume of my signle. Right now, i use a multi effects pedal but IMO it sounds too fake, and im trying to get a more natural sound out of my amp. any suggestions would be appreciated greatley.
    www.soundclick.com/patricklukens

www.myspace.com/patricklukens

Re: best overdrive pedal?

well i use a boss hyper fuzz. it actually has a clean volume boost. and a 2 band EQ. i also like the voodoo labs sparkle drive. it has a clean level boost also. hmmm, there is the DOD preamp 250, and YJM which can be used for a nice boost. there is the ibanez TS-9,m and the maxon 808...

there are a few choices. som others will be along and they can help out too.

oh, maybe you should grab a volume pedal too.
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Maxon OD series. Get the one that is compatible to your budget. If you can put down 200 dollars, I strongly suggest OD-820, if not you will be fine with 808.

Comment

I'm looking for the same thing, and leaning toward the Boss SD-1 from the reviews I've read. I don't really want to spend more than $50

Comment

you know...I been noticing that all these newer player are using these Maxon 808s...what's the story with these..

I thought Maxon was a cheaper pedal...I guess I thought wrong..are they hotter than a TS9..

John's friend from Boston makes his own pedal now that supposwed to scream..he started out modding TS9s and whatnot...now he's doing his own thing...

But my friend Paul who's a pretty good player won't record a damn thing without that pedal...he swears by it..

John may be able to chime in on this..

But my personal favorite pedal is a Korg Hyper Distortion...then a Boss OD-1 and then a DS-1..The TS9 turbos are pretty cool too..TS9s sound nice but they aren't crunchy enough for me..I guess John's friend tweaked ones are though..

I think Jeff Loomis uses one of those Digitech Death Metal ones...I dunno..

I don't need pedals anymore..I got an Uber...no pedal required.
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Transparent boost that adds a littlemore saturation?
            MXR ZW-44
            "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

Loomis ran a Maxon OD infront of his Triple rec's, and nothing infront of the XXX's (which he only used live). On This Godless Endeavour, he ran a Maxon OD820 into a Krank Revolution 1 and a Boogie Rack-tifier.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                you know...I been noticing that all these newer player are using these Maxon 808s...what's the story with these..

I thought Maxon was a cheaper pedal...I guess of thought wrong..are they hotter tha a TS9..

[/ QUOTE ]
                Maxons are built in the same plant that old Ibanez Tubescreamers(and other Ibanez pedals) were built-in. They come with the right chips stock, so they don't need mods. In the long run if you would be using any kind of Tubescreamer in front of your amp, you will be better off grabbing an OD-808.

Comment

Bad Bob Boost is a great clean boost - I had it and the ZVex - I liked the Bad Bob better - it's a bit "fatter".

My Klon Centaur is the best boost and/or overdrive pedal I've ever used. It's nutty expensive but sounds amazing.

A Tube Screamer is gonna add a midrange hump to your tone - that's a great tone too IMO but it's not transparent. The current TS808 reissue sounds great - I sold my AnalogMan modded TS9 once I got the 808 reissue.

A lot of guys have said the Digitech Bad Monkey is cool - I haven't tried one - the price is right though - I think they're 40 bucks.
                  I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    I think Jeff Loomis uses one of those Digitech Death Metal ones...I dunno.

[/ QUOTE ]

Last couple of times I've seen 'em Jeff has been running no effects. Also his home rig consists of a Triple XXX fullstack.

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] The two amps that are one were the ones used for the recording of TGE. Sounds orgasmic, IMO.

Sorry to hijack the thread.

Comment

Is that what Jeff is using now...he's always changing...but just like Me aor John or anyone...no matter what these player play...damn I can't tell...it all sounds like them no matter what they play...

you know those newer Korg mutli effects pedal like the AX1500 or whatever they are called ... did they ever put that hyper distortion circuity in those...I love those older hyper distotions..they sound so kick ass to me..
                        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

The last album recording Jeff used a mix of Krank Rev 1 and Dual Rectifiers with a Maxon OD-820 in front I think.

Comment

Interestingly enough, Nevermore is listed on the Krank endorsees now.

Comment

Anyone who Sneap has recorded with a Krank seems to be on that list.

Jeff has switched his live rig to Kranks, however, and Steve is considering it.

Comment

Working...
                              X