best overdrive pedal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best overdrive pedal?

marshall jh-1 pedal is my choice... thick sound [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] best gear decision i've made so far. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
    Guitars... Rhoads RX10D
    Amp... Pioneer
    Effects... Boss ME-20

Comment

BTW this is for a peavey 5150, which is why im not looking for super-de-duper gain, because the 5150 has alot of that already. I just need something that will give me a we bit more sustain/gain and a WHOLE lot of volume boost.
      www.soundclick.com/patricklukens

www.myspace.com/patricklukens

Comment

I just picked up an Addrock "Ol Yeller" pedal and it is sweet! I use it with my TSL 100 for a boost on the crunch channel or as a drive on the clean channel. Although I'll admit I got a really good deal on it. I was using a TS7 and for the price it's a good boost and it has a "hot" switch for more gain. Also a good cheap boost is the ARION "Tubeulator" for $20 it's nice.

Comment

In that case I'd look for a clean boost pedal. Something like the Super Chile Picasso or a Z.Vex Super Hard On (big $$$).

You also might want to turn the gain down a bit and turn the mids up a bit. Gain adds a ton of compression which might give you a percieved volume drop. Mids are what the human ear hears the best.

Comment

I have a Maxon OD-808, and I must say that its pretty cool. Its very quiet, very smooth, and very warm. Id love to get my hands on a TS9 sometime.

Comment

None of these things in front of an already saturated amp will make a bit of difference as a solo volume boost. All they will do is make it more saturated which is useless.

You need to run something in the loop, and like Toejam said, an Ernie Ball (or other high quality) volume pedal is probably the best answer. Wide open is your lead volume, and cut it back for rhythm volume.

Two problems with this:

#1. You are running a 20' or so cable with your entire amps signal all the way to the front of the stage, through the pedal, and all the way back to the amp. 40' or more of cable in your effects loop. I will guarantee you some degree of sound degredation because of this. Wether it's worth it or not, only you can judge.

Problem #2. The pedal will need some sort of stop pad made for it so you don't roll back too far. In a live situation, you can't be turning the guitar up and down trying to find the sweet spot. It would be like having someone standing back there turning the master volume up and down at random.

I had this same problem with my Soldano SLO live, and I wound up running a rack mount multi-effects in the loop (in my case a Marshall JFX or an Intellifex), and using that with a Midi pedal to control my master volumes. It still affected the tone to some extant, but for me the trade off was worth it for live use.

Comment

thats why i said you should use the volume pedal set to your rhyhtm volume in the loop, and switch off the loop (which means switching off the pedal too) for lead volume.

if you actually use the fx loop for fx, though, it won't work [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] but if you don't you can keep the pedal next to your amp, which keeps the cable lenght short.

Comment

Does the 5150 have a footswitchable loop? If so, then yeah, that's all he needs.
                  Why didn't you say that? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I have a TS-9 which is great, but this one is outstanding:
                    Destination Overdrive Link
                    Sorry for the big pic, but it is off the web site

Comment

If you're looking for a clean boost for more volume,
                      I'd try the Fulltone Fat Boost. I use it with a Mesa
                      Studio .22 most of the time. It will add some dirt
                      if you want, but I think it shines at giving an already-
                      overdriven sound a little more oomph. Built like a
                      tank, and about the size of a MXR Phase 90...

Comment

I think the most important thing to know is what kind of amp you are using. I would highly recommend the Keeley Time Machine Boost (or the George Lynch version of the same pedal...has a little more grunt to it) if you are playing a tube amp LOUD, but this same pedal doesn't sound too hot through solid state or at low volumes. I also like the Z. Vex Super Hard-On, but once again, only for tube amps. For a volume boost with a solid state amp, I have had good results with an eq pedal with a level control like the Boss unit.

Comment

I do what fragle said. I use a Mark IV Boogie. I have a VOX volume pedal in the effects loop. I use short cords and have the pedal sitting on my amp(this way it does not get bumped and the settings changed). I set it to a level that has the volume difference that I like. When I want a boost in volume I turn off the effects loop. It works great and no tone change. I used to try using a pedal for the boost, but all it does is add more gain.

Comment

That's an excellent idea. +10 for the guy(s) who figured that one out...

Comment

Working...
                            X